Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any tips on how to stop clutter accumulating? I feel like every other week I’m throwing stuff out and the amount of crap just doesn’t dwindle 🙄
What kind of clutter? There's always gonna be something you need to bin. Maybe have something like 1 in 1 out rule. If you buy one of something you need to get rid of something first.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Does anyone have any tips on how to stop clutter accumulating? I feel like every other week I’m throwing stuff out and the amount of crap just doesn’t dwindle 🙄
There's a decluttering thread on here which I find helps, lots of ideas and other people getting rid of stuff.

I definitely think 1 in 1 out is a good rule, I aim not to buy more things unless I'm replacing something that is broken/ worn out/ has run out.

Reactions: 8
If you mean junk mail. I just filled a form out and I went from a binful a week to just what people shoved through the letterbox.
I'm going to check this link out re getting rid of those.
I've also managed to get a sticker from the Post Office (via a leaflet) re what to do with parcels when I'm not in.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thanks everyone. Maybe I do need to just simplify everything and to stop buying stuff. I think sometimes I’m buying stuff for the sake of it cause I like it rather than really stopping and thinking about my purchases (namely clothes). The 10 questions seems like it will be something that would massively help!

I’ll check out the declutter thread too, didn’t realise there was one 🤍

• Heart
Reactions: 2
If you mean junk mail. I just filled a form out and I went from a binful a week to just what people shoved through the letterbox.
I'm going to check this link out re getting rid of those.
I've also managed to get a sticker from the Post Office (via a leaflet) re what to do with parcels when I'm not in.
Omg thank you SO much for this!! We have a post box rather than a through-the-letterbox setup and it’s constantly rammed with catalogues for stuff, and oftentimes legit post ends up crammed down at the bottom 🫣 but this is a god send thank you!

Reactions: 3
Does anyone have any recommendations for made to measure curtains and blinds that are good quality and value? Preferably ones I could order online

Does anyone have any recommendations for made to measure curtains and blinds that are good quality and value? Preferably ones I could order online
I got mine from blinds2go and they’re great. Great range of fabrics and you can order samples easily

Reactions: 2
Thanks will have a look!

Yeah actually got some samples of them already, was hoping for somewhere slightly cheaper but I guess decent curtains and blinds just won't be cheap 😅 good to know they're good!
Yeah they are good quality, and easy to install! Maybe hold out for a sale, if you can. I got mine during Black Friday

Yeah they are good quality, and easy to install! Maybe hold out for a sale, if you can. I got mine during Black Friday
That might be a bit too long to wait but a good tip to hold off till sales. They do have a 15% flash sale on just now but I guess it will end before I pick what I want 🤣

Not online but I was really pleasantly surprised by how flexible/reasonably priced our local seamstress was with taking up “high street” curtains, to the point where she said she’d have made me 2 x curtains from floor length ones so I needn’t have bought two pairs, so they can work miracles/basically pay for themselves?!

The clothes airer fell over (too much crap on one side of it) and it landed on my glass bedside table. It’s now scratched. Any tips? The toothpaste trick didn’t work.

dehumidifier arrive and seems to be working well! Although I’m a bit confused at how to use it so I have some questions...

I only have a skylight in my kitchen, which I can’t open when it’s raining and I usually keep it shut over winter so bought the dehumidifier to help reduce condensation (and mould) in the skylight. Do I need to keep it running all the time? Or just until the humidity has dropped to the right amount after cooking?

I also have issues with the extractor fan in my bathroom, which is on the list of things to fix but my dehumidifier would work for that too I’m guessing? Do I need to move the unit or can I just place it in the middle of my flat to dehumidify the whole thing? I have a lot of corners though so would that stop it working as well as if I moved it around my flat?

Sorry for these idiotic questions, I just can’t get my head around it 😅

ETA - I just emptied it after being on since around 2pm… how is there so much water in there?!

Reactions: 1
dehumidifier arrive and seems to be working well! Although I’m a bit confused at how to use it so I have some questions...

I only have a skylight in my kitchen, which I can’t open when it’s raining and I usually keep it shut over winter so bought the dehumidifier to help reduce condensation (and mould) in the skylight. Do I need to keep it running all the time? Or just until the humidity has dropped to the right amount after cooking?

I also have issues with the extractor fan in my bathroom, which is on the list of things to fix but my dehumidifier would work for that too I’m guessing? Do I need to move the unit or can I just place it in the middle of my flat to dehumidify the whole thing? I have a lot of corners though so would that stop it working as well as if I moved it around my flat?

ETA - I just emptied it after being on since around 2pm… how is there so much water in there?!
I tend to leave mine running all the time, it doesn’t cost much in terms of energy and shuts off automatically when it reaches the humidity percentage you set. I move it between our bedroom and bathroom but in a flat, depending on the square footage you should be able to leave it in one spot I think!

The amount of water it removes really is horrifying haha it takes some getting used to!

I tend to leave mine running all the time, it doesn’t cost much in terms of energy and shuts off automatically when it reaches the humidity percentage you set. I move it between our bedroom and bathroom but in a flat, depending on the square footage you should be able to leave it in one spot I think!

The amount of water it removes really is horrifying haha it takes some getting used to!
Thanks so much! I guess it’s just experimenting and seeing what works. V good point about keeping it on constantly and it switching off when it reaches the number set. Do you leave it on when you go on holiday?

I just opened the freezer (putting moisture in the air) and it turned on straight away for a few mins 🤯🤯🤯

It should have a m2 range of cover written somewhere in the instructions that’ll help you figure out where best to position it, they tend to be reasonable enough that you could put it in a hallway to cover a few rooms. But personally would have it closest to anywhere you’re worried about mold developing!

I use mine in our spare bedroom when drying clothes. I shut the door so it’s only sucking water out of the room it’s in