UK Literary Luvvies #3 Logistical reasons mean the only recommendations I have are Greek cleaning products

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do find Raven’s instagram posts funny but can imagine him being unbearable in social situations. Making himself the centre of attention, ridiculous posing with legs wide open etc

Reactions: 7
Has anyone read any of his (Raven's) books? The first one wasn't too bad but I tapped out of the second. I think one of the reviews on the cover says "king of the metaphor" and jesus christ. Maybe his metaphors work for one essay but they are relentless and tedious and maddening when read back to back.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I tried to read one but gave up, I didn’t think it was very good 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 1
I have really mixed feelings about Caroline. She's a really great writer, she has a turn of phrase and ways of putting things that is really smart. Her writing is often very insightful too.

On the podcasts, there is an awful lot to be admired. It was a very smart idea to have a podcast that examines all the "uncool" things that women often like and are maybe derided for. She has a really incisive knack of being able to nail how a certain film book or trend sits within the culture of that time. For example her podcast on skinny jeans is a really interesting and entertaining discussion about how skinny jeans were a product of a certain societal thing, and how they had a stranglehold on fashion (literally) for so long.

But but but

At times, the podcast descends into the most tiresome annoying circle jerk that can be heard anywhere. Her "cool girl" persona is extremely grating. Oh I wore a blue wedding dress, aren't I so cool and different. I boast about smoking fags, aren't I so cool and different. I'm not afraid to laugh soooo loudly and unselfconsciously at me and my friend's jokes, aren't we all just the best craic.

Another thing that annoys me is her attitude to class. She will often comment on the class structures within her adopted home, and she likes to trumpet how down to earth she is, and of course (like all of the luvvies) she has that story about having borrow money to make rent one time.

What she doesn't bleat about is the fact that she comes from a very comfortable background herself, some would say very privileged. Cork has just one fee paying girls' school, and she went there.

Reactions: 17
I have really mixed feelings about Caroline. She's a really great writer, she has a turn of phrase and ways of putting things that is really smart. Her writing is often very insightful too.

On the podcasts, there is an awful lot to be admired. It was a very smart idea to have a podcast that examines all the "uncool" things that women often like and are maybe derided for. She has a really incisive knack of being able to nail how a certain film book or trend sits within the culture of that time. For example her podcast on skinny jeans is a really interesting and entertaining discussion about how skinny jeans were a product of a certain societal thing, and how they had a stranglehold on fashion (literally) for so long.

But but but

At times, the podcast descends into the most tiresome annoying circle jerk that can be heard anywhere. Her "cool girl" persona is extremely grating. Oh I wore a blue wedding dress, aren't I so cool and different. I boast about smoking fags, aren't I so cool and different. I'm not afraid to laugh soooo loudly and unselfconsciously at me and my friend's jokes, aren't we all just the best craic.

Another thing that annoys me is her attitude to class. She will often comment on the class structures within her adopted home, and she likes to trumpet how down to earth she is, and of course (like all of the luvvies) she has that story about having borrow money to make rent one time.

What she doesn't bleat about is the fact that she comes from a very comfortable background herself, some would say very privileged. Cork has just one fee paying girls' school, and she went there.
The class thing is always so interesting to me, she talks about it like she’s some wise impartial observer of an alien species. Ireland absolutely has a class system, even if it’s less nuanced or historic than in England/the UK.

I’m not Irish but I have family who are and to my ears there is a very definite concept of ‘having notions’ if you do things that are above where your social standing is considered to be…

Reactions: 13

But but but

I find it so triggering listening to her talk about clothes because everything she slates is everything I wear 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I find it so triggering listening to her talk about clothes because everything she slates is everything I wear 😂😂
You take no notice and keep striding around in your skinny jeans and v necked t shirt.

I do find it slightly cringe that they are all so very desperate not to be left behind in fashion and to be cool and young, cool and young, cool and young rather than have their own developed style that mostly evades trends.

I say this all bitterly from my pile of skinny jeans.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
You take no notice and keep striding around in your skinny jeans and v necked t shirt.

I do find it slightly cringe that they are all so very desperate not to be left behind in fashion and to be cool and young, cool and young, cool and young rather than have their own developed style that mostly evades trends.

I say this all bitterly from my pile of skinny jeans.
Elizabeth Day dresses 20 yrs younger than she is

Surely smuggery has to be the appropriate collective noun where Lizzie D is involved?!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Long time lurker here. I find it quite interesting that when great authors die (as has happened recently with Paul Auster and Alice Munro), that Elizabeth Day, Dolly, Caroline, Daisy etc don't acknowledge their death on social media. It seems as if a writer doesn't exist within their social milieu, they actually don't exist. As a caveat, I really enjoyed Dolly's last novel and Caroline's also. But Alice Munro really was one of the greatest writers of our time. And as her work is so female based (as in it really reflects the hidden aspects and all stages of women's lives), I would have thought they would have acknowledged her work and her influence . As I say she was an incredible writer.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
The only writer from the previous generation that the latest pack recognise is Marian Keyes. They all have to go kiss the ring of that hag so that they get a nice testimonial from her to put on the back of the book

"Writer X is a talent to watch - I loved every word" - Marian Keyes

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
The only writer from the previous generation that the latest pack recognise is Marian Keyes. They all have to go kiss the ring of that hag so that they get a nice testimonial from her to put on the back of the book

"Writer X is a talent to watch - I loved every word" - Marian Keyes
I am also a fan of Marian Keyes. She is very much in the Maeve Binchy tradition. You could argue that if it weren't for writers like Maeve or Alice Munro, Sally Rooney would never have been published. I admire Rooney greatly. Marian Keyes is in their social milieu. So I guess that proves my original point. And indeed as many people have pointed out in this thread, it just a mutual backslapping group.

I'm not having a dig at her writing, it's just that Marian Keyes crowned herself the queen of Twitter, so now any wannabe luvvie has to worship at her altar.

There is a slightly comparable crop of young female irish writers , of which Sally Rooney is the undisputed queen. Rooney and the others who are in her slipstream (Megan Nolan, Louise Nealon et al) seem to keep a pretty low profile.

Who is a total insufferable LL is that dose Sophie White

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm not having a dig at her writing, it's just that Marian Keyes crowned herself the queen of Twitter, so now any wannabe luvvie has to worship at her altar.

There is a slightly comparable crop of young female irish writers , of which Sally Rooney is the undisputed queen. Rooney and the others who are in her slipstream (Megan Nolan, Louise Nealon et al) seem to keep a pretty low profile.

Who is a total insufferable LL is that dose Sophie White
Oh yes I really agree with you. Love Megan Nolan. And if anybody wants to read an amazing book by a non literary luvie, whom also happens to be Irish, I would direct you to Trespasses by Louise Kennedy.

• Heart
Reactions: 8