New baby and post birth advice #58 Where have all the dummies gone?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Biscuit Junior went through a phase where he had several loose dirty nappies a day. We had him checked over, and they did stool samples, and everything was clear. He was well in himself, and we couldn't pinpoint a cause, so they said it was just toddler diarrhoea and he would grow out of it. Apparently it's very common, though I'm not sure what age it would start.
We did try keeping a food and poop diary, but we never found any patterns, and he did grow of it after a few months.
It can be a right old pain though. My friend's son had the same issue, and she had a nightmare because nursery kept sending him home and saying he had to stay away for 48 hours.
This seems a lot - what are nursery saying?

TF was being sent home after 3 loose nappies. She has CMPA, no other symptoms than her bowel movements.
Well this is the thing - both nursery and the childminder seem thoroughly unbothered by it. They tell us that he's done several and that some of them have been very runny but he eats a lot and they don't seem concerned about it. I think it 'helps' that they're not all type 6, some are type 4 so it'll be like, 3 type 6 then one type 4, then back to 6 again. Even my mum said it's probably just teething. But it's SO much and so often. He did 3 in 1.5 hours earlier this afternoon. In fact, he's just done another now putting us at 7 for the day if he doesn't do any more before bed.

Well this is the thing - both nursery and the childminder seem thoroughly unbothered by it. They tell us that he's done several and that some of them have been very runny but he eats a lot and they don't seem concerned about it. I think it 'helps' that they're not all type 6, some are type 4 so it'll be like, 3 type 6 then one type 4, then back to 6 again. Even my mum said it's probably just teething. But it's SO much and so often. He did 3 in 1.5 hours earlier this afternoon. In fact, he's just done another now putting us at 7 for the day if he doesn't do any more before bed.
Teething is also a possibility. Baby Biscuit goes loads when she's teething, but as her default setting seems to be constipation, it can actually be quite helpful lol

People with older babies - how often do you get dirty nappies?

We're still consistently on 4 - 7 dirty a day. Google says between 1yr and 2yrs the average is 1.6 a day. Most of them are quite loose but I wouldn't say they're completely liquid.

I only ask because it's an absolute nightmare getting a Drs appointment here and now I'm back at work, I'd have to take a day off to call, then hope they have a same day one, pull him out of nursery to go, and hope they don't say "Oh that's normal".
Both of mine did that many, if not more, when they were on soy formula (both are allergic to dairy). I don't remember with my eldest but my youngest is currently 8 weeks does around 3 - 5 a day.

Anyone had or waiting for a referral to get their babies tongue tie looked at? I’ve got a referral but no appointment yet and was told 2-3 weeks but already a week in and worrying it’s going to take ages. Baby chat struggles to latch for bf so I’m worried my milk will dry up by the time we get seen ☹
We had to go private last years for our sons, I couldn’t breastfeed because of his tongue tie and because I wasn’t breastfeeding (was expressing) I couldn’t get it on the nhs.
I’d ring up and ask for a date - if they can’t give one within the week get a private appointment if you can afford it. Depending on area they can be 150+. If you’re in London I can share a donation clinic where you pay what you can afford x
---
People with older babies - how often do you get dirty nappies?

We're still consistently on 4 - 7 dirty a day. Google says between 1yr and 2yrs the average is 1.6 a day. Most of them are quite loose but I wouldn't say they're completely liquid.

I only ask because it's an absolute nightmare getting a Drs appointment here and now I'm back at work, I'd have to take a day off to call, then hope they have a same day one, pull him out of nursery to go, and hope they don't say "Oh that's normal".
1yr old and 1-3 a day, 4 if a bit constipated and hasn’t drunk much so goes little & often.
that does sound like a lot, more so if they’re runny. I’d think if he’s eating so much solid food they would be firmer? Not professional opinion just a mum one 😅
Does he seem bothered by them? If it’s teething I’d expect it to go in waves, so 1-3 a day then teething increase then decrease again?

Reactions: 1
Thanks for the replies 😊 I’m going to ring the infant feeding team tomorrow and see if I can get a date. If it’s unlikely to be soon I’ll look into a private options.
Thank you for clinic recs @Ro98 unfortunately I’m up north but amazing that there’s somewhere that does it on what someone can pay as must be a nightmare for parents that can’t afford it.

Any recs for a pump? Are people using manual or electric? I’ve been expressing some with a hakaa but it’s getting lesser and lesser as the days pass. I can feed baby le chat with nipple shields which is at least allowing us to get a couple of feeds in a day but the advice around using them is so mixed.
It’s annoying there’s not more speed to get ties sorted to help as many women as possible bf.. 😩

Reactions: 2
Thanks for the replies 😊 I’m going to ring the infant feeding team tomorrow and see if I can get a date. If it’s unlikely to be soon I’ll look into a private options.
Thank you for clinic recs @Ro98 unfortunately I’m up north but amazing that there’s somewhere that does it on what someone can pay as must be a nightmare for parents that can’t afford it.

Any recs for a pump? Are people using manual or electric? I’ve been expressing some with a hakaa but it’s getting lesser and lesser as the days pass. I can feed baby le chat with nipple shields which is at least allowing us to get a couple of feeds in a day but the advice around using them is so mixed.
It’s annoying there’s not more speed to get ties sorted to help as many women as possible bf.. 😩
For the first month I rented a hospital grade one, it was the ardo as I wasn't sure about how long my bf journey would last. I got the spectra and that's working well.
With the manual I bought the Latinosh , good for the changing bag etc.
I used nipple shields up to 10 weeks and I weaned successfully off them, babies are the best feeders and is best to maintain your supply than any pump so id persist eith the shield if you can . It's very stressful to do feeding, pumping and bottles it will get better.

• Heart
Does anyone else have a 1yr old that is SO SENSITIVE to any sleep schedule changes. It is exhausting he’s been like it since birth and I just think when will this end?
If he wakes up too early he’s exhausted and clingy all day, if we get him back off at 5.30/6am and he sleeps until 7 we have 45minute wake ups all the following night.
Just a rant and I’m due on my period, a stressful week ahead and I just want a night that isn’t filled with milk wake ups / a 2-5am awake time or a 5am start.
I see so many mums who have babies that have slept 7-6/7 and even if their naps are crap their nights are fine and I don’t get how 🙃🙃

• Heart

I bought the Medela hands free this time, which I would really rate! Especially as you can do things whilst using - I’ve had 3 babies and never found pumping very easy, but being able to get on and do things took a bit of pressure off and was better.
But, for what you want, could you talk to the hospital about renting a medical grade one? Xx

Feel like I’m losing my mind. Baby flower has been awake from 2:20am and still awake now 🫠 fed her, changed her, sat and soothed her. She cries as soon as we put her in her crib, given her calpol as she’s teething and I just don’t know what to do at this point. It’s relentless at the moment, she’s waking up at 3am almost every night and I can feel myself going insane

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Feel like I’m losing my mind. Baby flower has been awake from 2:20am and still awake now 🫠 fed her, changed her, sat and soothed her. She cries as soon as we put her in her crib, given her calpol as she’s teething and I just don’t know what to do at this point. It’s relentless at the moment, she’s waking up at 3am almost every night and I can feel myself going insane
We are in the same boat, my little one is 4 months old. He's very groggy and wakes every couple of hours. Anyone got any advice how to unblock his little nose , I've got the fridababy nose unblocker

• Heart
Reactions: 3
We are in the same boat, my little one is 4 months old. He's very groggy and wakes every couple of hours. Anyone got any advice how to unblock his little nose , I've got the fridababy nose unblocker
I put snufflebabe in a diffuser at night and that works well for us!

I also fed exclusively with nipple shields for 5 weeks and have now successfully weaned of them. My supply throughout had been fine, I read somewhere that the research on the shields reducing supply is so old and the shields are much better now. They saved our breastfeeding journey so I’d be feeding with them until you wait for your referral.

Reactions: 3
Solidarity ❤ my LO woke at 2am so got her in with me to soothe her, she fell asleep so put her back down at 2:30 only for her to wake again at 3:30 🙃 she's awake again now at 7:30 and I feel like I'm going blind. She usually wakes at 4 or 5 so not sure what's going on either. It's so tough, sorry you're going through it too.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I also fed exclusively with nipple shields for 5 weeks and have now successfully weaned of them. My supply throughout had been fine, I read somewhere that the research on the shields reducing supply is so old and the shields are much better now. They saved our breastfeeding journey so I’d be feeding with them until you wait for your referral.
I'm a big believer of whatever works 🥰

Thanks all, re the shields it’s very reassuring to hear people have used them for many weeks without issue. I genuinely would have given up bf last week if it wasn’t for them so it is confusing when I go to the bf clinics and they are very against them. Like surely continuing in some way is worth it?!
I’ve rang the support team this morning and looking at a three week wait for the tongue tie clinic as they say they are v busy. Shows just how stretched things are.

I don’t know about anyone else but seeing the news about the birth trauma report has really upset me thinking of all the women and babies let down by poor care and cruel attitudes ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Baby L did his first scribbling with felt pens and I cry every time I look at it, what has parenthood done to me 😭
Do mam 12m+ dummies no longer exist? I can't find any anywhere
I found it so hard to get them!! I was constantly looking for them since January and only found like 4. We ended up just using them and the 6+ ones until this week when we moved to 16+ (baby L is 16mo on Saturday so we're probably ok)

• Heart
Thanks all for the solidarity 🧡 it doesn't help when your husband is so impatient with her. There's obviously something she wasn't happy with but I think he expects her at 11 months to explain in full detail what the issue is :rolleyes: we were quite snappy with each other too and I don't usually like leaving things to linger but at 5am I just wanted to sleep! Having a chat together when baby girl is in bed tonight cause I don't want it to be a bigger issue.
Also think that, although I would LOVE a second baby, awful nights like last night really put me off/question if I could do that with another child there, and I think that in itself is making me emotional too.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I
Thanks all, re the shields it’s very reassuring to hear people have used them for many weeks without issue. I genuinely would have given up bf last week if it wasn’t for them so it is confusing when I go to the bf clinics and they are very against them. Like surely continuing in some way is worth it?!
I’ve rang the support team this morning and looking at a three week wait for the tongue tie clinic as they say they are v busy. Shows just how stretched things are.

I don’t know about anyone else but seeing the news about the birth trauma report has really upset me thinking of all the women and babies let down by poor care and cruel attitudes ❤
Do what works for you. . you are with your baby 24/7 you know best

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.