Wedding Planning #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Spent the last 3 months since I ordered my dress worrying i didn’t actually like it enough… it came in last week and I went back to the shop today to try it on and absolutely love it, so happy 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 6
We've just had our big day! The sun was shining all day, our guests were brilliant, the venue and staff were fantastic. I'm exhausted and in so much pain but it was the best day of my life.

I wasn't half as nervous as I thought I'd be; it all felt so natural. Seeing our family and friends in their finery enjoying themselves was so wonderful.

My top tips while they're fresh in my mind:

- Pick your ring bearer and give them the rings as soon as you see them. We forgot ours and someone had to do mad dash back to the bridal suite as we were waiting to go into the ceremony!

- Take time out for yourselves as often as you can. It's tiring and overwhelming greeting and talking to so many people, so a quick five mins somewhere quiet is perfect.

- Look after your suppliers and they'll look after you. Ours were so dedicated they didn't sit down for hours, so we made sure they were fed, watered and rested.

- When packing your bags to head to your venue, ensure you've both checked you've got everything. We were missing a crucial item and had to ask a friend to go back home for us, luckily we weren't far away. We had a checklist but still missed something!

- Make sure you're clear about when people should arrive, send a mass text the day before ideally, as people don't read invitations! I was really surprised to see some of our evening guests sat in the ceremony as they'd checked into their rooms early, headed to the bar and were ushered in along with the day guests.

- We had a box of flip flops for guests and many ladies with sore feet were so grateful! Props and glow sticks were a huge hit too.

- If you've got a big dress with fiddly buttons, consider paying someone to dress you on the day. If not, a crochet hook is great for looping buttons!

- Finally, the day goes by like a flash, so enjoy every minute and don't fret over the little things. Ask for help if you need it and soak up being the centre of attention and all the loveliness.

Good luck to all of you with weddings coming up! 🍀🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 8
We've just had our big day! The sun was shining all day, our guests were brilliant, the venue and staff were fantastic. I'm exhausted and in so much pain but it was the best day of my life.

I wasn't half as nervous as I thought I'd be; it all felt so natural. Seeing our family and friends in their finery enjoying themselves was so wonderful.

My top tips while they're fresh in my mind:

- Pick your ring bearer and give them the rings as soon as you see them. We forgot ours and someone had to do mad dash back to the bridal suite as we were waiting to go into the ceremony!

- Take time out for yourselves as often as you can. It's tiring and overwhelming greeting and talking to so many people, so a quick five mins somewhere quiet is perfect.

- Look after your suppliers and they'll look after you. Ours were so dedicated they didn't sit down for hours, so we made sure they were fed, watered and rested.

- When packing your bags to head to your venue, ensure you've both checked you've got everything. We were missing a crucial item and had to ask a friend to go back home for us, luckily we weren't far away. We had a checklist but still missed something!

- Make sure you're clear about when people should arrive, send a mass text the day before ideally, as people don't read invitations! I was really surprised to see some of our evening guests sat in the ceremony as they'd checked into their rooms early, headed to the bar and were ushered in along with the day guests.

- We had a box of flip flops for guests and many ladies with sore feet were so grateful! Props and glow sticks were a huge hit too.

- If you've got a big dress with fiddly buttons, consider paying someone to dress you on the day. If not, a crochet hook is great for looping buttons!

- Finally, the day goes by like a flash, so enjoy every minute and don't fret over the little things. Ask for help if you need it and soak up being the centre of attention and all the loveliness.

Good luck to all of you with weddings coming up! 🍀🥰
i'm so happy for you and congratulations! ❤ also as a wedding planner it's so lovely to see that one of your top tips is to look after your suppliers and make sure they've eaten. can't tell you how many times it's happened to me that people are in shock that we are eating after working all day - as if we're not human! so that's really nice of you. you deserved the perfect wedding day and i'm glad it went that way 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 2
i'm so happy for you and congratulations! ❤ also as a wedding planner it's so lovely to see that one of your top tips is to look after your suppliers and make sure they've eaten. can't tell you how many times it's happened to me that people are in shock that we are eating after working all day - as if we're not human! so that's really nice of you. you deserved the perfect wedding day and i'm glad it went that way 🥰
Thank you so much! 🥰

Gosh, I couldn't imagine not looking after the people who were looking after us! It's such a shame some people don't see it that way. 🙁

• Heart
I need opinions please!

Context: My partner and I are getting married next year, at a venue that comes with accommodation for 20 people so my fiancé and I are staying there with the bridal party/groomsmen and partners. I'm foreign and my mother tongue isn't English, my entire bridal party (6 girls in total) are from my home country because we've known each other for over 20 years and I still consider to be my closest friends. Our ceremony will be at 1 and we're due to start hair and makeup at 7.

Right then, a few months ago, my future mother-in-law calls me, we have a bit of a chat, and as we were about to hang up, she says that it'd be great if her and her daughter (my fiancé's sister) could be added onto the hair and make up in the morning. Apparently, it would be so much easier for them, that way they wouldn't have to try and find someone in an area they're not familiar with. I was caught off guard so I just said "Sure, no probs" and then had a mini meltdown as soon as I hung up. I got in touch with my MUA who said that we could add two people but would need to start at 6 and my hairdresser said it'd be fine, she can get someone to come with her and not to worry. So technically, crisis averted, all can easily be fixed. I initially thought FMIL and FSIL could get their hair and makeup done first, so they can get out of the way before we all start getting ready but they're not staying on site so I don't want to risk them arriving late and it having a knock-down effect on the whole prep. My fiancé suggested they could just come late morning, already in their outfit, and just hang out at the venue until 1 but I think that's a terrible idea. It probably means that his dad, brother and brother-in-law would come too (they're staying at the same accommodation) and I don't want it to become a family hang out. The venue is dry hire, so it's likely my fiancé and his groomsmen will have a few things to supervise in the morning and I don't know, I feel like his family coming to hang out is going to change the dynamic?
I wanted to spend the morning with my girls, listening to the music we grew up with, walking down memory lane, talking in my mother tongue and not having to worry about whether or not people can understand us or feel excluded... Just being comfortable. I do like my in-laws, but I'm not as comfortable with them as I am with my friends, you know? I also don't want them around for the first look with my bridesmaids and my dad and all of that, I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but I don't think it's their place. I know I won't have the guts to be like "Right you're all dolled up, now please leave, we'll see you at the wedding" and knowing them, I know they'll probably want to stick around because they'll want to share the moment.

Now I'd love to know what your thoughts are... Am I being dramatic? Should I just suck it up? I was thinking of finding them a HMUA in the area and say that in the end, we thought it'd be easier for everyone if we booked someone just for them, that's going to come to their accommodation in the morning. I think it's a good idea because I would have made the effort of finding someone for them so it's not like I'm like "Right soz, I changed my mind, you're on your own." But then I don't want to offend anyone and I'm a bit lost.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I need opinions please!

Context: My partner and I are getting married next year, at a venue that comes with accommodation for 20 people so my fiancé and I are staying there with the bridal party/groomsmen and partners. I'm foreign and my mother tongue isn't English, my entire bridal party (6 girls in total) are from my home country because we've known each other for over 20 years and I still consider to be my closest friends. Our ceremony will be at 1 and we're due to start hair and makeup at 7.

Right then, a few months ago, my future mother-in-law calls me, we have a bit of a chat, and as we were about to hang up, she says that it'd be great if her and her daughter (my fiancé's sister) could be added onto the hair and make up in the morning. Apparently, it would be so much easier for them, that way they wouldn't have to try and find someone in an area they're not familiar with. I was caught off guard so I just said "Sure, no probs" and then had a mini meltdown as soon as I hung up. I got in touch with my MUA who said that we could add two people but would need to start at 6 and my hairdresser said it'd be fine, she can get someone to come with her and not to worry. So technically, crisis averted, all can easily be fixed. I initially thought FMIL and FSIL could get their hair and makeup done first, so they can get out of the way before we all start getting ready but they're not staying on site so I don't want to risk them arriving late and it having a knock-down effect on the whole prep. My fiancé suggested they could just come late morning, already in their outfit, and just hang out at the venue until 1 but I think that's a terrible idea. It probably means that his dad, brother and brother-in-law would come too (they're staying at the same accommodation) and I don't want it to become a family hang out. The venue is dry hire, so it's likely my fiancé and his groomsmen will have a few things to supervise in the morning and I don't know, I feel like his family coming to hang out is going to change the dynamic?
I wanted to spend the morning with my girls, listening to the music we grew up with, walking down memory lane, talking in my mother tongue and not having to worry about whether or not people can understand us or feel excluded... Just being comfortable. I do like my in-laws, but I'm not as comfortable with them as I am with my friends, you know? I also don't want them around for the first look with my bridesmaids and my dad and all of that, I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but I don't think it's their place. I know I won't have the guts to be like "Right you're all dolled up, now please leave, we'll see you at the wedding" and knowing them, I know they'll probably want to stick around because they'll want to share the moment.

Now I'd love to know what your thoughts are... Am I being dramatic? Should I just suck it up? I was thinking of finding them a HMUA in the area and say that in the end, we thought it'd be easier for everyone if we booked someone just for them, that's going to come to their accommodation in the morning. I think it's a good idea because I would have made the effort of finding someone for them so it's not like I'm like "Right soz, I changed my mind, you're on your own." But then I don't want to offend anyone and I'm a bit lost.
You need calm before the day, and I don't think people should be in your space unless you invited them there. The room will be manic particularly when you factor in your dad family etc. Considering you and your bridesmaids are foreign and presumably dont all live in the same countries anymore, when do you have time to all be alone together and have fun? You shouldn't have to worry about speaking in your native tongue for their sake just because they dont speak the language. Imo your inlaws should get ready elsewhere and see you at the wedding

Another factor is who is paying for their HMUA? All beauty people I know need additional people and cash once the number gets over a certain amount, are you willing to have 3 people do all this just to accommodate your in laws, are you okay with you paying or do you want them to pay. Even if they come late morning, the time before the ceremony is spent on touch ups as the photographers videographers may have notes once they see you in film, them showing up before your about to leave could mean u get less time for this

On your wedding day you shouldn't have to suck anything up. It's nice that you don't want to offend, but I find it quite offensive that they invited themselves to your suite because its "easier for them", rather than them wanting to spend time with you

• Heart
I need opinions please!

No you're not being dramatic at all , i would feel the same. I know its not a good idea to lie but maybe you could say your MUA is no longer able to fit them in but offer to help find another one as you already said

I need opinions please!

Could you tell them they can come to the venue for 5:45am in their pyjamas to have hair/make up done between 6 & 7 and then go back to their accommodation to get changed? That might put them off 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Hi guys, popping back in to say… I’m married!!! We had such a beautiful day. Really over the moon about it, and sad it’s over!

However one big thing out a dampener on the day… our florist really effed up, and is being pretty petty and unreasonable. I wish I could say I was so happy with the day that I didn’t notice the things that went wrong with the florals… but truth is, it did upset me. I loved the wedding, but equally I was deeply disappointed in her lack of professionalism. She’s since been rude to us and I’m feeling down in the dumps about it.

My advice is… trust your gut. Totally. You’re not a bridezilla for wanting to get the service you paid for, or the items you ordered. Small mistakes happen but professional incompetence isn’t ok.

There were a lot of red flags about our florist that I ignored because I wanted to support a local business, I liked her designs and I was plain fatigued with wedding planning so I powered on through despite my misgivings because I didn’t want to go back to square one. My gut instinct proved to be right on all fronts though. Literally everything.

• Sad
Hi all, is it bad I'm not doing wedding favours?

Also I'm using a Spotify play list instead of a dj, has anyone done this before? Thanks

Also I'm using a Spotify play list instead of a dj, has anyone done this before? Thanks
We are planning on doing a play list for our party (having an intimate abroad wedding then party back home)
We were looking at DJ prices and found one who you can hire the speakers etc to connect your phone but no dj , I know djs aren't the same these days and you can give them a list of songs to play or not play but we just liked the play list idea so interested to know if it's worked for others

We didn’t do favours and no one noticed! We just didn’t want to waste money on things that most people end up leaving behind!
We did hire a DJ for evening only and I’m glad we did as we just had a playlist for the wedding breakfast, but the joys of technology weren’t on our side and it didn’t work - so not sure I would want that added stress! Just my personal experience and opinion! ☺

Reactions: 1

We weren’t going to do favours as they seemed like an unnecessary expense!

Ended up finding a middle ground, we got personalised sweets which cost £20 for everyone so I felt we’d done a token favour!

We went to a wedding yesterday and there weren’t any favours I didn’t even notice until I read your post and it reminded me 😆 I don’t think people are really bothered about them!

I would say if you do want to do favours do something that people can eat because they usually go down well, I did cookies with our wedding date and our names on and they were all gobbled up before the night ended!

We made a donation to charity instead of doing favours. I’m not against them but for us it felt like we could do something better with the money. I don’t think anyone would have dared to complain to me about it but I wouldn’t care anyway 🤣

No, not at all! They’re a waste of money unless edible I think.

Also did a playlist for our wedding rather than a dj. Worked fine, the only thing was our dinner ran over and our wedding planner was a bit incognito at that point of the day so we had to delete some songs from the list to fit the time we had left for the party (and to make sure we had the ones we’d designated for the end of the night). But you can probably assign someone to sort this for you in advance, or maybe have a long and shorter version 🤣

• Heart
You need calm before the day, and I don't think people should be in your space unless you invited them there. The room will be manic particularly when you factor in your dad family etc. Considering you and your bridesmaids are foreign and presumably dont all live in the same countries anymore, when do you have time to all be alone together and have fun? You shouldn't have to worry about speaking in your native tongue for their sake just because they dont speak the language. Imo your inlaws should get ready elsewhere and see you at the wedding

Another factor is who is paying for their HMUA? All beauty people I know need additional people and cash once the number gets over a certain amount, are you willing to have 3 people do all this just to accommodate your in laws, are you okay with you paying or do you want them to pay. Even if they come late morning, the time before the ceremony is spent on touch ups as the photographers videographers may have notes once they see you in film, them showing up before your about to leave could mean u get less time for this

On your wedding day you shouldn't have to suck anything up. It's nice that you don't want to offend, but I find it quite offensive that they invited themselves to your suite because its "easier for them", rather than them wanting to spend time with you
Thank you 🙏 You've made so many good points and it's good to know I'm not overreacting! I hadn't thought about the last bit (in bold), but you're so so right!

No you're not being dramatic at all , i would feel the same. I know its not a good idea to lie but maybe you could say your MUA is no longer able to fit them in but offer to help find another one as you already said
Could you tell them they can come to the venue for 5:45am in their pyjamas to have hair/make up done between 6 & 7 and then go back to their accommodation to get changed? That might put them off 😂
Thank you both! So I did tell them that they'd need to be there for 6 in the morning and my MIL had a bit of a "is this a joke?" reaction but my SIL quickly intervene to say it would be fine and they'd be there for 6.

It ended up talking to my fiancé about it this weekend; I explained how I felt and also told him that I thought his mum put me in a difficult position with my brother-in-law's partner. She hasn't been mentioned in all of this, but MIL and SIL tagging along for hair and makeup meant that I had the choice between asking my BIL's girlfriend whether she wanted to be involved or not say anything to her and risk having her feel excluded when SIL and MIL go to get ready, leaving her at the accommodation they're sharing. In the end, we asked her if she wanted to get her hair and makeup done, she said yes... which is great news and what we were hoping for because we simply can't add 3 people. My MUA had told me that she could fit my MIL and SIL in, but that that was it, as one more person meant hiring another MUA which significantly brings the costs up... So I'm going to find a HMUA person to go to their accommodation and my fiancé will explain that logistically it just wasn't feasible but that we found someone for them instead 🙏

Hi guys, popping back in to say… I’m married!!! We had such a beautiful day. Really over the moon about it, and sad it’s over!

However one big thing out a dampener on the day… our florist really effed up, and is being pretty petty and unreasonable. I wish I could say I was so happy with the day that I didn’t notice the things that went wrong with the florals… but truth is, it did upset me. I loved the wedding, but equally I was deeply disappointed in her lack of professionalism. She’s since been rude to us and I’m feeling down in the dumps about it.

My advice is… trust your gut. Totally. You’re not a bridezilla for wanting to get the service you paid for, or the items you ordered. Small mistakes happen but professional incompetence isn’t ok.

There were a lot of red flags about our florist that I ignored because I wanted to support a local business, I liked her designs and I was plain fatigued with wedding planning so I powered on through despite my misgivings because I didn’t want to go back to square one. My gut instinct proved to be right on all fronts though. Literally everything.
Congratulations!!
I'm so sorry to read about the flowers, though! Can I ask what happened? I suppose it won't change anything for you but is there somewhere you could leave an honest review? The lack of professionalism isn't acceptable really, is it? I understand things happen and things can go wrong, but there's a reason people rely on professionnals!

Reactions: 5

We are donating to a local animal charity and in return they give these cute little pin badges of the animals they care for and the story behind said animal. I know the pin badges will likely go into a drawer but we know the money is going to a good cause and we much prefer that. I'm a massive animal lover as is my partner so it means more to us.

We are having a DJ but not until after food/speeches.. so before that we will be doing the same as you, with a spotify playlist and then wedding coordinator from the hotel introducing us. And even then we are only actually having the DJ because he is a family friend and supplying some of our wedding decor.
Do what you want to do, what you feel will work best for you, and at least you know you will have all the music you actually want and like rather than Killers are we human and Queen don't stop me now blasting :)
No Offence to anyone if you like those songs lol, I always will dance to them when they are on but can't stand them :D

• Heart