UK Politics #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I suspect that what a sizeable chunk of the electorate 'want' is unrealistic and unachievable. So either politicians don't offer it or they offer the impossible, fail to deliver and the people that voted for them become disillusioned. Ultimately the problem is the people not the politicians.

As for the FPTP system, one could argue that the Tories are being influenced by the threat of losing voters to a 'grassroots' party i.e Reform. They are 'adapting' by becoming increasingly right-wing. Is that a good thing?
That is the problem. We want better public services and an updated infrastructure but you can’t do that without increasing public spending. The Tories are stuck on wanting to provide more tax cuts and Labour haven’t got the money to change things without increasing taxes (unless there is a miracle change to the economy).
I am intrigued to see what is in all of the manifestos but any honest party has got to say that we are in for a period of rebuilding that will be tough for the country. If we truly all in it together we should all pay our way, that includes the people who have made piles of cash out of the last 24 years of austerity!

Reactions: 9
But the last few battalions of Hamas including their leader are supposed to be holed up there sir Kier, what do you suggest?

...I'm just playing devils advocate, but I'd like someone to ask him that.

Reactions: 2
But the last few battalions of Hamas including their leader are supposed to be holed up there sir Kier, what do you suggest?

Do you really think they can wipe out Hamas when the veins run through an entire society ? the Israelis are doing more for the Hamas cause than they’ll ever know.The bomb has never been a solution to anything it’s a short term fix.
---
How many people carry round a full chess piece set 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
kind of hilarious that you’ve got people still moaning about the left of Labour ‘leading the party to its worst defeat since whenever’ when you have people like the politics editor of the guardian praising articles about how the labour right scuppered any chances of a Labour victory. Disengenous and pathetic.

---
tbf to the momentum chair, as of now i don't feel able to vote for a party that tories feel so comfortable joining. for some reason i'm much more content with voting for a labour mayor or councillor than a labour mp (and probably can't articulate why)
Well Rachel Reeves is now working with Cameron’s team. So if you wouldn’t vote for the tories when Cameron was in charge there’s little reason to vote for Labour when they’re perusing the same economic nonsense of austerity

The Commons is becoming more bizarre. The very right wing Natalie Elphicke has just defected to Labour 😳😂

• Wow
Reactions: 6
The Commons is becoming more bizarre. The very right wing Natalie Elphicke has just defected to Labour 😳😂
Please make it stop! Can we have a general election immediately to stop all this nonsense? Why on earth would Labour want her?

Reactions: 7
She’s one of the Toriest Tories that ever Toried. Apparently she’s standing down at the next election.
At this point I can’t work out whether the government are trolling each other, Labour or us.

Reactions: 3
She’s one of the Toriest Tories that ever Toried. Apparently she’s standing down at the next election.
At this point I can’t work out whether the government are trolling each other, Labour or us.

I've been very defensive of Labour but WTF!!!

Just call a bloody election and get on with it

I learned recently about the civil war in Sri Lanka (that lasted decades) - too young to remember anything about it. The whole thing was atrocious - especially when the tamil tigers were fighting against the Sri lankan government. They wanted to form their own country on the island, were heavily militarized, received a lot of money from external actors and were extremist (many suicide attacks etc.). It ended in a bloodbath where thousands of tamil civilians got murdered because the Sri lankan government forces managed to reduce step by step the zone occupied by the tamil tigers, concentrating the tamil population in a smaller and smaller territory. The tamil civilians were shot by the tamil tigers if they were trying to flee the zone and often shot by the sri lankan forces as well. They got bombed by the sri lankan forces and also got starved as no food and medicine could enter the zone most of the time.

The sri lankan government won against the tamil tigers but the price was the death of so many civilians caught in the escalation between the two forces. Tamil children were abducted by the tamil tigers to be sent to the front and anyone disagreeing with the actions of the tamil tigers was tortured and murdered. Tamil civilians didn't have much options.

I don't have any sympathy for the tamil tigers (neither for the corrupted and violent sri lankan government as for decades they have massacred thousands of people - many were tamils of course but also anyone else opposing them for decades) but I see some similarities with the gazan population, stuck between the israeli armee and the hamas terrorists. Should we not try anything we could to avoid to repeat again the atrocities that happened to the tamil civilians? I think we should try to not repeat that situation - we as "the international community" or are we just doomed to watch another massacre?

• Heart
What's the process when an MP defects? Can the party they want to go to say no? Because I feel like Labour should be a little more selective...

It looks bad on the Conservatives for MPs to switch sides but not everything is a win.

Reactions: 4
What's the process when an MP defects? Can the party they want to go to say no? Because I feel like Labour should be a little more selective...

It looks bad on the Conservatives for MPs to switch sides but not everything is a win.
They can turn them down, yes, but this was an open goal for Starmer. A staunch anti immigration MP crossing the floor of the House when Starmer was attacking Sunak’s small boats policy! Pure gold! She isn’t going to be there for long but it does send a strong message to the electorate. I did wonder why she didn’t go to Reform but that wouldn’t have sent a big enough shock wave. I see this more as striking a blow against the current Tory Party and less of an endorsement for Labour from her perspective. For Starmer he can say this is how much Labour have changed, even the opposition see us as a credible party now, not something that would happen under Corbyn.

They can turn them down, yes, but this was an open goal for Starmer. A staunch anti immigration MP crossing the floor of the House when Starmer was attacking Sunak’s small boats policy! Pure gold! She isn’t going to be there for long but it does send a strong message to the electorate. I did wonder why she didn’t go to Reform but that wouldn’t have sent a big enough shock wave. I see this more as striking a blow against the current Tory Party and less of an endorsement for Labour from her perspective. For Starmer he can say this is how much Labour have changed, even the opposition see us as a credible party now, not something that would happen under Corbyn.
Ehhhh I'm not sure all arguments or points or whatever Labour thinks it's making by welcoming Elphicke are worth making.