The advice thread for random problems #5

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Could you order from a restaurant you like the look of maybe? Sometimes when I don't feel like leaving the room I'll order deliveroo to the hotel and have a cosy night in ❤
That's a really good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

I don't know why I'm so anxious about it but I do think as a previous poster mentioned the safety issue is part of what's bothering me. I definitely feel a vulnerability being a lone female.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
How do you deal with the senior person on your team asking you why you’re taking annual leave (that you’re entitled to)? Our manager approves it, but we only see him once a month, if that, but we need to let this senior person know when we are off.
It’s not a huge deal, I just don’t see why I have to justify why we take time off. Just because they over share, doesn’t mean the rest of the team want to. I could go down the “I’d rather not say” route, but that isn’t going to stop them from asking in the future. 🤯

• Wow
Reactions: 3
How do you deal with the senior person on your team asking you why you’re taking annual leave (that you’re entitled to)? Our manager approves it, but we only see him once a month, if that, but we need to let this senior person know when we are off.
It’s not a huge deal, I just don’t see why I have to justify why we take time off. Just because they over share, doesn’t mean the rest of the team want to. I could go down the “I’d rather not say” route, but that isn’t going to stop them from asking in the future. 🤯
It might stop them.

I used to ask "doing anything nice?" Thinking I was just being friendly/chatty/nice manager and then one of my team gave me that response and I thought tit, I have been really nosey!! So now I just approve it and pop it on the calendar.

Reactions: 4
Alternatively ask your manager to have a word with senior person. As @HoGi said I don’t think they are looking for justification, probably just making small talk.

hi,, does anyone know how to treat blisters in corner of mouth, i have had them for 2 weeks now, i wake up with hard yellow blisters, i cant even open my mouth and when im eating it hurts and bleeds. i have been putting lip balm on them but i dont know what to do.

hi,, does anyone know how to treat blisters in corner of mouth, i have had them for 2 weeks now, i wake up with hard yellow blisters, i cant even open my mouth and when im eating it hurts and bleeds. i have been putting lip balm on them but i dont know what to do.
It's probably Angular cheilitis. Blistex relief cream usually helps, little and often. This specific one, not the balm Blistex Relief Cream 5g | Skin | Superdrug
If that doesn't work, you might need an anti fungal from the pharmacist or doctor.

Reactions: 1
It might stop them.

I used to ask "doing anything nice?" Thinking I was just being friendly/chatty/nice manager and then one of my team gave me that response and I thought tit, I have been really nosey!! So now I just approve it and pop it on the calendar.
I feel guilty for moaning about it, because I’d like to think it’s because they’re genuinely interested as to why we book time off.
At the back end of last year, I had booked a day off and I was asked why I was taking it off. I just said I had personal stuff to sort out (really I just wanted a break from work) and they still haven’t taken the hint that I don’t want to be asked why. Sometimes I just want to take a days leave.
I never ask why people book time off cos it’s none of my business eg it could be for personal reasons. This person does it cos they’re nosey!

I’ll stop ranting now 🤣 things could be a lot worse.

My car coolant light came on yesterday so I filled it up. All good.
It came on again coming home from work today but this time the warning light was red instead of amber. I wasn’t in a safe place to stop so just got myself home.
Anyway, filled it up again just now and it’s emptying straight away. Obviously there must be a leak so I need to ring the garage tomorrow but does anyone know if I’d be able to drive it to the garage or will I have to get it bloody towed? Google says you can’t drive 1 min without coolant as it does severe engine damage…there does seem to be the smallest amount left in the thing when I look but I obv don’t want to damage anything…
Had a nightmare with it recently 😩 so inconvenient that I have to get it fixed again

It can be a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency so maybe try a supplement and/or get it checked out.

Kind of related to what I wanted to ask about - apologies if it's in the wrong place but I can't seem to find anywhere more relevant! I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon and feel like I'm going to get fobbed off with a blood test which will take ages to come back but I do think there could be something sinister going on. For context, I'm a healthy weight, go to the gym 3-4 times a week, eat well, don't smoke, ok drink too much but am consciously cutting down, take supplements and the medication I'm prescribed (for depression/anxiety and pain for endometriosis).

Since Christmas Eve I've had bouts of extreme tiredness/fatigue that last for a few weeks at a time - I literally can do nothing but sleep and I'm constantly exhausted no matter how much sleep I get. However for the past month or so I've also been getting pains in my legs - it's like a crushing but shooting pain up my shins and my thigh bones. It's definitely not muscular and doesn't get any better or worse with rest or exercise. No mobility issues either but it's genuinely so painful it has me in tears (and I have a high pain threshold). I also ache all over and am stiff first thing on a morning. No idea what could be causing it and Google is only throwing up the usual scaremongering!

• Sad
  • Heart
It can be a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency so maybe try a supplement and/or get it checked out.

Kind of related to what I wanted to ask about - apologies if it's in the wrong place but I can't seem to find anywhere more relevant! I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon and feel like I'm going to get fobbed off with a blood test which will take ages to come back but I do think there could be something sinister going on. For context, I'm a healthy weight, go to the gym 3-4 times a week, eat well, don't smoke, ok drink too much but am consciously cutting down, take supplements and the medication I'm prescribed (for depression/anxiety and pain for endometriosis).

Since Christmas Eve I've had bouts of extreme tiredness/fatigue that last for a few weeks at a time - I literally can do nothing but sleep and I'm constantly exhausted no matter how much sleep I get. However for the past month or so I've also been getting pains in my legs - it's like a crushing but shooting pain up my shins and my thigh bones. It's definitely not muscular and doesn't get any better or worse with rest or exercise. No mobility issues either but it's genuinely so painful it has me in tears (and I have a high pain threshold). I also ache all over and am stiff first thing on a morning. No idea what could be causing it and Google is only throwing up the usual scaremongering!
The first line probably will be a blood test. Tiredness and leg pains on their own probably won't set off enough red flags to signal another pathway but obviously I'm not a doctor. You could check the NICE guidelines but really all a GP will do is follow the path they're told to follow. Assessment for underlying cause | Diagnosis | Leg cramps | CKS | NICE
Have you tried magnesium, vitamin B & D and fish oil supplements? Have you recently had covid or anything else that could explain it?

The first line probably will be a blood test. Tiredness and leg pains on their own probably won't set off enough red flags to signal another pathway but obviously I'm not a doctor. You could check the NICE guidelines but really all a GP will do is follow the path they're told to follow. Assessment for underlying cause | Diagnosis | Leg cramps | CKS | NICE
Have you tried magnesium, vitamin B & D and fish oil supplements? Have you recently had covid or anything else that could explain it?
I take multivitamins and iron, additional B8 and B12, biotin and cranberry supplements - not considered fish oil but I'd thought that was more for joint pain rather than bone pain. I probably should have added as well I'm in my late 30s. Had Covid 3 times previously but not for 18 months, although the pains are very similar to ones I had when I did have it but it's been going on too long to be that...

I take multivitamins and iron, additional B8 and B12, biotin and cranberry supplements - not considered fish oil but I'd thought that was more for joint pain rather than bone pain. I probably should have added as well I'm in my late 30s. Had Covid 3 times previously but not for 18 months, although the pains are very similar to ones I had when I did have it but it's been going on too long to be that...
Fish oils are thought to help bone density and reduce inflammation. I'd look at the magnesium in your multi-vit too and make sure it's a decent dose.
You could ask to be tested around peri-menopause, check your oestrogen levels (I only say 'peri-menopause' as a buzz word to get them to listen and check hormones).
Are you doing a lot of leg work in the gym? Shin splints can feel like bone pain, is there anything like that it could be?
Something like fibromyalgia can be helped by antidepressants but they can also trigger fatigue and restless legs, it might be worth having a meds review to cover all bases and ensure none of your supplements are clashing.
I'd just lay it on thick. But the absence of any weight loss, fever, brain fog, night sweats etc (assuming you don't have them) is a good sign.
I hope they don't just fob you off and look at all the options.

Fish oils are thought to help bone density and reduce inflammation. I'd look at the magnesium in your multi-vit too and make sure it's a decent dose.
You could ask to be tested around peri-menopause, check your oestrogen levels (I only say 'peri-menopause' as a buzz word to get them to listen and check hormones).
Are you doing a lot of leg work in the gym? Shin splints can feel like bone pain, is there anything like that it could be?
Something like fibromyalgia can be helped by antidepressants but they can also trigger fatigue and restless legs, it might be worth having a meds review to cover all bases and ensure none of your supplements are clashing.
I'd just lay it on thick. But the absence of any weight loss, fever, brain fog, night sweats etc (assuming you don't have them) is a good sign.
I hope they don't just fob you off and look at all the options.
I did consider peri-menopause and to be honest now you've mentioned it I do have night sweats but put them down to my endometriosis as I get really overheated around my period. I've just had a meds review with the GP and she seemed happy enough but I had to make this additional appointment to discuss whatever else was going on. It's definitely not shin splints as it's not impacted by any work I do in the gym - it's as bad when resting as it is if I've ran, done Pilates, etc. My appointment is in half an hour so I'll come back with an update! As awful as it sounds I would take it being peri-menopause although I can't have any HRT due to family history of breast cancer - I'm on the waiting list for a hysterectomy already so if it's going to start ramping up now then I'm prepared for what comes next...

Update from the doctor.... she think it's a vitamin deficiency despite all the supplements so been advised to have a blood test in the first instance (although can't get an appointment until 28th May!). Have upped my vitamin D intake as of today. Potentially peri-menopausal but unlikely... although handily I did find out that as long as I have my womb removed during hysterectomy (which I plan to) I can take HRT without increasing my cancer risk further - good news!

• Heart
Update from the doctor.... she think it's a vitamin deficiency despite all the supplements so been advised to have a blood test in the first instance (although can't get an appointment until 28th May!). Have upped my vitamin D intake as of today. Potentially peri-menopausal but unlikely... although handily I did find out that as long as I have my womb removed during hysterectomy (which I plan to) I can take HRT without increasing my cancer risk further - good news!
Glad you’ve got a path forward.

I'm really frustrated and I'm hoping someone can help. Signed up for UC when my son was little as we needed it. Got a full time job 1 year ago and attended the meeting to prove I no longer needed UC. One month later they messaged saying I needed to complete a form so I did. Month after that they called and I contacted HMRC who agreed yes, no longer entitled, not to worry Coffee it's all sorted.
Every single month since they have called, texted and emailed to demand something from me. This month they said if I don't reply by X date they'll close my claim (which I have been asking them to do for a year). So I was like "fine I just won't reply". Well they're now calling, texting etc 2-3 times a day to "remind" me and I don't know what else to do. I just want to be left alone, I've done everything I was meant to!!!

I'm really frustrated and I'm hoping someone can help. Signed up for UC when my son was little as we needed it. Got a full time job 1 year ago and attended the meeting to prove I no longer needed UC. One month later they messaged saying I needed to complete a form so I did. Month after that they called and I contacted HMRC who agreed yes, no longer entitled, not to worry Coffee it's all sorted.
Every single month since they have called, texted and emailed to demand something from me. This month they said if I don't reply by X date they'll close my claim (which I have been asking them to do for a year). So I was like "fine I just won't reply". Well they're now calling, texting etc 2-3 times a day to "remind" me and I don't know what else to do. I just want to be left alone, I've done everything I was meant to!!!
Go into your online account scroll to the bottom and you can close the claim yourself. Hopefully then they’ll leave you alone x

Take a screenshot of you telling them you want it closed then block every way of communication like the phone number an email address, then if they send any letters to the house send the screenshot of you saying to them you want it closed an you will take them for harassment if they continue to send things out, because at this stage it really is harassment

Go into your online account scroll to the bottom and you can close the claim yourself. Hopefully then they’ll leave you alone x
I tried that, they said because it's a joint claim my husband has to have a meeting too even though his circumstances haven't changed!!
---
Take a screenshot of you telling them you want it closed then block every way of communication like the phone number an email address, then if they send any letters to the house send the screenshot of you saying to them you want it closed an you will take them for harassment if they continue to send things out, because at this stage it really is harassment
I messaged them telling them I didn't need UC anymore, they sent out a form which I duly completed. They then said i had to do one online. Which I did. I don't understand what is missing because surely they're getting my information through my NI number each month? I think I'll try this next