MOD & FOD #19 Slymon’s too sexy for the gram, too sexy for the gram, Tenerife and Japaaaan.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If anyone is interested in their book sales ... FOD’s has sold approx 560 copies, total value £4.5k (so basically a huge flop). MOD’s approx 60k copies, £663k value - a rousing success.
His book only sold 500-plus copies? That’s shockingly poor for someone who has such a large number of followers (I couldn’t bring myself to say fan base).

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Personally I can’t actually believe 560 people bought it. Surely they are just the ones he gifted his fellow floggers to promote it on the gram. But most were too ashamed to do that.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
His book only sold 500-plus copies? That’s shockingly poor for someone who has such a large number of followers (I couldn’t bring myself to say fan base).
Right?? Terrible. The publisher definitely would have lost money on that one. He would have probably been paid an advance of between 25-50k (an educated guess).

Reactions: 4
If anyone is interested in their book sales ... FOD’s has sold approx 560 copies, total value £4.5k (so basically a huge flop). MOD’s approx 60k copies, £663k value - a rousing success.
It has 83 reviews on Amazon which seems a gigantic amount compared to the actual sales!

• Wow
Reactions: 8
When are we predicting it will happen?
He'll sell a twin before he lets that happen....

Ooo thanks for this.

Thought he would have sold more to be honest.

Last edited:
  • Haha
It has 83 reviews on Amazon which seems a gigantic amount compared to the actual sales!
I mean, it’s not unheard of for authors or publishers to actively encourage Amazon reviews, so it’s not always an reflection of real, random buyers reviewing it.

Reactions: 3
LOVE this intel thank you!! Is this Millward Brown data?

Cos someone else asked - FYI didn’t work in book publishing but in another similar industry that owns content rights for a media format - for gifted / promotional purchases content owners are *meant* to order direct from their manufacturers so they don’t count as chart eligible sales (MB capture this data at point of sale on tills for stores, Amazon and other web report separately) but sometimes they do just have to make purchases through retailers because they’ve left it too late to get stock in and so and so’s manager’s dog needs a copy for their PR agency to gift to a blogger. It’s a bit naughty and if found out you can get in trouble as it’s perceived to be chart gaming but yeah I’d guess a % of those 560 were bought as gifts too. Especially after such an abysmal week 1 they probably upped marketing massively? Which begs the question why the duck is it still at £15?

I’ve actually cackled at this as they’d have done pre orders for it and they’d have slowly seen this train wreck come to life when they had like bleeping 10 units preordered on Amazon. They’d have dreaded release, then week one would have happened and they’d have died internally. Even better is they’ll have forecast sales based on a % of Clem’s week 1/month 1/etc and paid his advance accordingly 😂😂😂😂 Someone must have gotten screamed at for this decision looooool and I can’t imagine Simon’s calls are being answered ever again!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
LOVE this intel thank you!! Is this Millward Brown data?

Cos someone else asked - FYI didn’t work in book publishing but in another similar industry that owns content rights for a media format - for gifted / promotional purchases content owners are *meant* to order direct from their manufacturers so they don’t count as chart eligible sales (MB capture this data at point of sale on tills for stores, Amazon and other web report separately) but sometimes they do just have to make purchases through retailers because they’ve left it too late to get stock in and so and so’s manager’s dog needs a copy for their PR agency to gift to a blogger. It’s a bit naughty and if found out you can get in trouble as it’s perceived to be chart gaming but yeah I’d guess a % of those 560 were bought as gifts too. Especially after such an abysmal week 1 they probably upped marketing massively? Which begs the question why the duck is it still at £15?

I’ve actually cackled at this as they’d have done pre orders for it and they’d have slowly seen this train wreck come to life when they had like bleeping 10 units preordered on Amazon. They’d have dreaded release, then week one would have happened and they’d have died internally. Even better is they’ll have forecast sales based on a % of Clem’s week 1/month 1/etc and paid his advance accordingly 😂😂😂😂 Someone must have gotten screamed at for this decision looooool and I can’t imagine Simon’s calls are being answered ever again!
it’s Nielsen, so all UK sales. I think it omits something or another but can’t remember what now.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
it’s Nielsen, so all UK sales. I think it omits something or another but can’t remember what now.
You are fab! Yeah don’t wanna bait my ex-industry but you’re right it’s nearly whole of market, obvs in indie book stores etc they won’t have the tills with the capabilities to report in, but arguably they wouldn’t have stocked that tat anyway. It’s a very good view of what people are consuming and absolutely bleeping hilarious.

They send mid week sales emails to all the big dogs too, imagine day by day Simon ringing up to get his latest figures... yeah another 90 sold today mate ! What a humbling. Someone should get in touch with the £4K sink brand and ask how many they’ve sold off the back of it if he can’t even shell £15 books omg

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Personally I can’t actually believe 560 people bought it. Surely they are just the ones he gifted his fellow floggers to promote it on the gram. But most were too ashamed to do that.
Can you imagine the longwinded drivel? Dreadful. He jumped on a bandwagon and flopped.

“ From uninitiated parents-to-be to those who know the ropes in families large or small, everyone will find something to relate to in Simon's hilarious and chaotic tales of his own home life. His observations of being a father have delighted his hundreds of thousands of followers on Instagram: before now dads are often the forgotten ones who carry the luggage, open stiff jars, take photos on holiday, fix broken bikes, go back to work, do the night feeds and make a mean beans on toast with melted cheese without so much as a pat on the back. All too often dads shrink into the background. But not in this book.”

Omg the Jim Davidson schtick is in the book! Ladies don’t go straining those pretty little wrists opening jars and fixing bikes x but get the bleeping dinner on else it’s beans on toast again

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
I mean, it’s not unheard of for authors or publishers to actively encourage Amazon reviews, so it’s not always an reflection of real, random buyers reviewing it.
I understand that, but given how low the sales are, people don't exactly seem motivated to do stuff for him (like pay a tenner for a printed version of his nonsense).

There's a huge different between finding someone mildly amusing for free on Instagram to then paying for more of the same. One of my pet peeves is Instagrammers telling you how lucky you are getting their content for free (when they're being richly rewarded with endless stuff).

Reactions: 9
This really makes me wonder how long he has been buying followers. To sell that few units with such a high number of followers but with so little translating into ROI/engaged "fans". Hmmmmm......

Reactions: 5
No, but the weird thing was he didnt even forget the wellies! His video shows him deliberately giving the twins leather boots to wear to the beach...and told them to not get them wet!!??!?
That's even bloody weirder, sorry I misunderstood I can't bring myself to watch him anymore I've deleted my insta after having my eyes opened to all the shite! Those poor kids it must be so confusing for them. I hope the whole Alice thing hasn't caused too much tension within the house for their sakes

Reactions: 3
Right?? Terrible. The publisher definitely would have lost money on that one. He would have probably been paid an advance of between 25-50k (an educated guess).
Not many publishers pay advances these days, so he may not have had much at all in royalties, plus it’s such a niche audience, his book is purely anecdotal.

Reactions: 1
I understand that, but given how low the sales are, people don't exactly seem motivated to do stuff for him (like pay a tenner for a printed version of his nonsense).

There's a huge different between finding someone mildly amusing for free on Instagram to then paying for more of the same. One of my pet peeves is Instagrammers telling you how lucky you are getting their content for free (when they're being richly rewarded with endless stuff).
I thought about your comment some more and looked up the dates of the reviews - there are only 11 from all of 2019, so it probably had a short burst of interest, sales and reviews in 2018, when it was published, and then just dribbled since.
This really makes me wonder how long he has been buying followers. To sell that few units with such a high number of followers but with so little translating into ROI/engaged "fans". Hmmmmm......
I would say that’s probably the fault of publishing for thinking that online followers will translate to book buyers - most people get what they want from him online and that’s that. Who is going to spend £15 on a pretty hefty hardback book when you’re average follower just likes to have a scroll on Instagram?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I thought about your comment some more and looked up the dates of the reviews - there are only 11 from all of 2019, so it probably had a short burst of interest, sales and reviews in 2018, when it was published, and then just dribbled since.

I would say that’s probably the fault of publishing for thinking that online followers will translate to book buyers - most people get what they want from him online and that’s that. Who is going to spend £15 on a pretty hefty hardback book when you’re average follower just likes to have a scroll on Instagram?
Very good point.

Reactions: 2
Not many publishers pay advances these days, so he may not have had much at all in royalties, plus it’s such a niche audience, his book is purely anecdotal.
I agree advances are small compared to what they used to be, but I think most publishers would pay and advance and royalties on a book of this type. Again, not a lot, but I can’t imagine his agent not negotiating an advance and royalty.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.