Boddler Advice #2 I seen a deer, even with my squealing boddler

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s pretty normal to be dropping milk at this age, and does no harm if they’re having water in the day and eating enough. We’d definitely generally dropped day milk by 15 months as he’d started nursery 4 days a week by then and we weren’t sending any in for him.
Maybe drop the morning one for a few days and see how he goes? Or is it a nap/sleep cue?
Thank you for the reply!

I did wonder if part of it is just normal but I found it odd that he doesn’t really want either of them

it’s thankfully not a nap cue, but I had been putting his vitamin in his midmorning milk so it’s not great that he’s not been drinking that so will have to rethink how to give him it !

binned all but 3 bottles… hoping to not use them again though 😂

Does anyone else give their little ones vitamins? and what works for you?

We have the wellbaby ones that you mix into their milk or water. And we had been putting it in milk fine ever since he was on cows milk. He used to drink the lot with no problem. But since he’s started refusing his milk I’m not sure what to do. I’ve tried putting it in water but he won’t touch that, I’ve tried even half the dose in water but it’s still gross and I don’t blame him for not touching it !!

Thinking about putting it in his food, like the milk in his weetabix, but worried he might go off it :(

maybe we need to find a different one that’s easier to get in to him ? I don’t know 😭 worried as he’s being quite picky right now with food

I use Abidec which has a little syringe. They smell revolting but my toddler happily takes them 🤷‍♀️

We’d get nowhere if it had to go in her food or drink, she’s fickle and what she devoured yesterday she won’t touch today (and vice versa).

Reactions: 1

We have the wellbaby ones that you mix into their milk or water. And we had been putting it in milk fine ever since he was on cows milk. He used to drink the lot with no problem. But since he’s started refusing his milk I’m not sure what to do. I’ve tried putting it in water but he won’t touch that, I’ve tried even half the dose in water but it’s still gross and I don’t blame him for not touching it !!

Thinking about putting it in his food, like the milk in his weetabix, but worried he might go off it :(

maybe we need to find a different one that’s easier to get in to him ? I don’t know 😭 worried as he’s being quite picky right now with food
we give baby L some boots vitamin syrup. It's a weird orange squash type flavour but he seems ok with it in a spoon. Might that work if he is happy to take calpol?

You can get a well baby version that they can have directly from the syringe which is what my little boy has. I haven't seen it everywhere but usually get it from Morrisons.

Thank you all ❤

I think we’ll have to go for a different one then!
He’s okay at taking calpol so maybe a syringe of one would be okay to try!

We just use the NHS ones that are 5 drops on a spoon. We live in an area where all under 5s get them free, different councils across England do it differently, but as a minimum they’re always free if you’re on certain benefits - definitely worth having a quick check!
You can buy them as well if they aren’t free in your area, not sure how much they are though.

Mini justme 16 months is going through a phase at the moment of throwing things from the high chair, cot, pram, car seat, bath, just sitting…absolutely everywhere. I’ve lost count of the times throughout the day that I gently say ‘no’ and explain not to do it but of course he doesn’t understand. There used to be a time where I could leave him with a few toys in the cot and he would happily play independently. Not anymore. I put the toys in, he throws them out, then stares at me for a reaction. The same with his bath toys which then just leaves him looking bored in the bath as if to say what’s next, I think he believes it’s a game? I don’t know. The only time the throwing is helpful is when I’m getting him to help with separating the laundry and throwing the clothes into the right pile 😂 oh and he threw his toys back into the toy box earlier to clean up which was great however I can’t leave drawers open as it’s game over, I lose. He wants to grab for everything in sight and then throw it, I swear I have a comedian on my hands. He makes this noise as he’s throwing too ‘daaaa’ it’s actually funny. He had a late nap today so he’s pacing up and down the room as I type this, laughing to himself then up and down in front of the mirror. I’m hoping it will tire him out because I’m exhausted 😩

Any idea how long the throwing phase lasts for and any tips/advice on how to encourage not doing it?

Last edited:
  • Heart
I'm not sure how to stop it but my 15m has been doing the same the last month or so, so I feel your pain.
When I'm making his breakfast or lunch I put him in the high chair and all the toys I leave with him quickly get lobbed off 😅 he then does it with food he doesnt fancy that day and then his water cup sometimes. any toys on a sofa? everything must be thrown onto the floor. It gets a bit tiring constantly picking up everything but I'm guessing they grow out of it?

we've had to rearrange a few things in our living room just so they're no longer accessible to him. He used to pull every single games case off the shelf and then pull the consoles off to.. 😩

Mini justme 16 months is going through a phase at the moment of throwing things from the high chair, cot, pram, car seat, bath, just sitting…absolutely everywhere. I’ve lost count of the times throughout the day that I gently say ‘no’ and explain not to do it but of course he doesn’t understand. There used to be a time where I could leave him with a few toys in the cot and he would happily play independently. Not anymore. I put the toys in, he throws them out, then stares at me for a reaction. The same with his bath toys which then just leaves him looking bored in the bath as if to say what’s next, I think he believes it’s a game? I don’t know. The only time the throwing is helpful is when I’m getting him to help with separating the laundry and throwing the clothes into the right pile 😂 oh and he threw his toys back into the toy box earlier to clean up which was great however I can’t leave drawers open as it’s game over, I lose. He wants to grab for everything in sight and then throw it, I swear I have a comedian on my hands. He makes this noise as he’s throwing too ‘daaaa’ it’s actually funny. He had a late nap today so he’s pacing up and down the room as I type this, laughing to himself then up and down in front of the mirror. I’m hoping it will tire him out because I’m exhausted 😩

Any idea how long the throwing phase lasts for and any tips/advice on how to encourage not doing it?
Similar stuff going on here (15mo) and he's also fighting being put in the high chair and buggy 80% of the time.

No tips I'm afraid, in fact I think I accidentally encourage the throwing because I'm lazy and keep forgetting not to do it in front of him 😬😬😬
---
I'm not sure how to stop it but my 15m has been doing the same the last month or so, so I feel your pain.
When I'm making his breakfast or lunch I put him in the high chair and all the toys I leave with him quickly get lobbed off 😅 he then does it with food he doesnt fancy that day and then his water cup sometimes. any toys on a sofa? everything must be thrown onto the floor. It gets a bit tiring constantly picking up everything but I'm guessing they grow out of it?

we've had to rearrange a few things in our living room just so they're no longer accessible to him. He used to pull every single games case off the shelf and then pull the consoles off to.. 😩
Baby L keeps picking things off the floor or table/shelf and handing them to me and I have nowhere to put them because all the surfaces he can't reach are full 🫠 I feel very judged about my tidiness tbh 😂

Similar stuff going on here (15mo) and he's also fighting being put in the high chair and buggy 80% of the time.

No tips I'm afraid, in fact I think I accidentally encourage the throwing because I'm lazy and keep forgetting not to do it in front of him 😬😬😬
---

Baby L keeps picking things off the floor or table/shelf and handing them to me and I have nowhere to put them because all the surfaces he can't reach are full 🫠 I feel very judged about my tidiness tbh 😂
We had the fighting to go in high chair / car seat / pram for a while. Was a nightmare, he’d just straighten himself out or wrestle with you but with advice from the new baby thread I tried bribing him with a couple of snacks each time, which worked fine! So maybe try a snack or maybe a toy/something to hold could work?

Mine got over that phase after a couple of weeks and seems to go in any of them fine now and no more snacks required !

---

14 months and we have the throwing and the refusal to go in the high chair/ pram too! Crazy how strong they are when they don’t want to do something!

Didn’t realise this thread was here! Coming over from the new baby group…. And slowly accepting baby wotsit is no longer a new born at 13 months!

Mine is now 22 months (maybe not a boddler! now a full blown toddler) and she’s still throwing food and her cutlery. It starts and wanes, it’s been going on for a good six months plus.

I keep reminding myself it’s a developmental phase. I was pretty annoyed a few months ago when she was “helping” me prep dinner and decided to hurl a glass bowl with peelings on the floor though 😳

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Throwing is part of the trajectory schema. It helps them learn about the world. You can encourage throwing soft toys, and let them climb as much as you can. My 16 month old is fully in the throes of this and he loves to lob his drink at you at the table 🤣

Throwing is part of the trajectory schema. It helps them learn about the world. You can encourage throwing soft toys, and let them climb as much as you can. My 16 month old is fully in the throes of this and he loves to lob his drink at you at the table 🤣
Baby L went through a short phase of neatly putting his spoons in the bowl when he'd finished eating and I was like yesss I've cracked this parenting thing. Then yesterday he finished each course by throwing his cutlery at me 😂

• Haha
We had to pick up baby L from nursery because he was sick twice. They called to say he'd been sick and by the time I got downstairs to tell Mr L, they were already calling to say he'd been sick again. He just looks so tired and sad 😭

We had to pick up baby L from nursery because he was sick twice. They called to say he'd been sick and by the time I got downstairs to tell Mr L, they were already calling to say he'd been sick again. He just looks so tired and sad 😭
☹ hope he’s feeling better soon and it’s over quick xx

• Heart
Toddler F is 16 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night, waking on average twice a night. I still bf him back off to sleep generally.
Have just found out I'm pregnant again and to say that I'm terrified is an understatement. I have little support in terms of family and close friends who live nearby and can just pop round to help. My partner works away a lot so I'll be alone on many nights. I genuinely have no idea how I'm going to juggle two little ones and just have visions of getting absolutely no sleep at all whilst they take it in turns to wake up in the night 😥

Has anyone been through similar? I am so scared