Baby Reindeer Netflix #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
With respect, it’s not something YOU would do/or imagine SA victims would do which is absolutely fair enough but that doesn’t mean he’s “wrong” for doing so nor does it take away anything that happened to him regardless whether he did this programme and some of the money/fame that goes with it.
This is exactly why he did BR to highlight how there is not a “perfect” victim and often those people that have been through trauma do things that others wouldn’t do or people who have experienced trauma don’t all react the same way. But it doesn’t mean they haven’t and don’t continue to suffer from what happened to them.

I would absolutely love to tell my story as he has regarding my domestic abuse and make money off it because I went though hell and back and my abuser came out of it untocuhed. I have actually used my trauma to run workshops through my work to feel like I have my voice back that he took away from me. But I know full well if I did anything like this, my abuser would use it to his advantage, he would spin it all as lies, he would present himself as the victim and I imagine I’d have peoples views/opinions exactly how you have expressed here “she’s telling half truths” or “why would she do X/Y/Z” or “you wouldn’t do that” honestly, you don’t know what you’d do until you’re in a situation and even then, what you’d do would be totally different to someone else.

This is what I liked about BR, he showed warts and all how trauma effects people and how people do things that others may not understand that can sometimes make situations worse but you do it for various reasons.
I don’t care he’s got money/fame off the back of it, he’s gone through 2 of the worst things anyone can go through and if he can make his life comfortable off the back of his trauma then good for him
I hear you and speaking from personal experience agree with you. Running the workshops is very strong and noble of you to help others.

Netflix said the show was based on a true story and they had tried to ensure aminomity which was not the case. As I said before I think RG is telling half truths throughout the show, which parts will no doubt come out eventually.

So many questions such as why have witnesses not come forward about Marthas behaviour.

Reactions: 8
I still believe that Richard based Martha on Fiona, obviously she’s an embellisher of truths, deluded, unpleasant and an oddball, but not that she subjected HIM personally to all this stalking and abusive behaviour. He knew she had previous and ran with it. That’s why he wasn’t worried about her not recognising herself- how could she if most of it was written by him and didn’t actually happen? However he fucked up by including the Hanging Curtains tweet= suddenly Fiona is the ‘real’ Martha and the rest is history. Being a horrible individual will shoot you in the foot sometimes when you are genuinely wronged. No one is going to feel sorry for such a person as Fiona Harvey on account of her prior behaviour and horrible views towards others.

Reactions: 7
I did 8 o levels at school, 8 gcse's at college (I did subjects that my secondary school didn't offer - I was also time wasting as I didn't know what to do with my life) ); 3 A levels ; RGN nurse training - plus a degree ....and I can tell you every single grade 😂 .....I also did nvq assessor's and adult teacher training post grad ....I'm 52...so, it was a long time ago!

I've rewatched the interview.......it's amazing how much she knows about the series - even though she hasn't seen it. She says she's talked to many journalists but, then said she only trusted Piers Morgan...the woman is a walking contradiction.....

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I'm rewatching the series after the interview and all of her mannerisms and quirks match the shows character. I am convinced this is definitely the same woman.

Reactions: 6
I did 8 o levels at school, 8 gcse's at college (I did subjects that my secondary school didn't offer - I was also time wasting as I didn't know what to do with my life) ); 3 A levels ; RGN nurse training - plus a degree ....and I can tell you every single grade 😂 .....I also did nvq assessor's and adult teacher training post grad ....I'm 52...so, it was a long time ago!

I've rewatched the interview.......it's amazing how much she knows about the series - even though she hasn't seen it. She says she's talked to many journalists but, then said she only trusted Piers Morgan...the woman is a walking contradiction.....
But you clearly weren’t educated in Scotland where THERE IS NO GRADE FOR AN ORDINARY DEGREE. How many times does this need said in this thread?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
But you clearly weren’t educated in Scotland where THERE IS NO GRADE FOR AN ORDINARY DEGREE. How many times does this need said in this thread?
That isn't what she actually said though, that's why people keep pointing it out. She said she can't remember all the grades because she took 13 subjects, 5 minutes after saying she has a photographic memory. Also (and this part is my ignorance of the Scot system) even if you get an ordinary degree, would you not also have module grades for the 13 subjects? Someone mentioned you can decide to leave with ordinary after 3 years so I'd assumed that meant you'd still have grades for each subject as if you were following it up to honours, but getting a degree without an overall grade wouldn't mean you don't have grades per module? Or is that totally wrong? E.g. she could've had all 2.1s in her individual subjects but her degree is ungraded?

Reactions: 4
I don't get why everyone cares about It being a true story. It was never described as a documentary, people are wild! It is an theatre to screen production of his truth; a dark comedy and psychological thriller. It literally states it in the credits so I just don't understand what the concern is (can't screenshot because of Netflix encryption):

"This program is based on real events: however certain s characters, names, incidents, locations and dialogue have been fictionalized for dramatic purposes."

Feels like this backlash he's getting when Fiona Harvey has basically outed herself as someone who stalks and harassed people is probably the reason why most victims of anything often don't speak up at all or do when their abuser has passed away. I hope things change going forward, it's already so hard for victims.

PS, because I started watching it while cleaning the kitchen, not only did I watch it having heard nothing about it, but I also didn't know that it was true or that RG played himself until after I had finished it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
What I don’t understand is why he said the real Martha would not be identifiable from what was portrayed on the show

Reactions: 2
What I don’t understand is why he said the real Martha would not be identifiable from what was portrayed on the show
What just because she's a larger lady with dark hair and a kind of Scottish accent?! Trust me, there's plenty of them in Scotland.

There's a high chance RG has her blocked on Twitter, maybe not but why does it matter? Not really up to him to delete her old tweets, 100% her responsibility. The fact she tweeted him so frequently (without a reply from him) and the fact she actually tweeted him about her curtains... All on her.

This is the consequence of the show being so unimaginably popular and well-received but also of her own actions. If she hadn't stalked him and left it up for all to see, she wouldn't have been found 🤷‍♀️

FFS any new person a friend or family member goes on a date with, we look up everything about them. If it's online, it's public domain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17

I love that she said she has a photographic memory then practically in the next breath said she couldn’t remember her grades hahaha

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
I don't get why everyone cares about It being a true story. It was never described as a documentary, people are wild! It is an theatre to screen production of his truth; a dark comedy and psychological thriller. It literally states it in the credits so I just don't understand what the concern is (can't screenshot because of Netflix encryption):

"This program is based on real events: however certain s characters, names, incidents, locations and dialogue have been fictionalized for dramatic purposes."

Feels like this backlash he's getting when Fiona Harvey has basically outed herself as someone who stalks and harassed people is probably the reason why most victims of anything often don't speak up at all or do when their abuser has passed away. I hope things change going forward, it's already so hard for victims.

PS, because I started watching it while cleaning the kitchen, not only did I watch it having heard nothing about it, but I also didn't know that it was true or that RG played himself until after I had finished it.
Tbh how many people watch the end credits?
In the opening credits it states “this is a true story” without the disclaimer.
Imho they should have then immediately followed that with the “some events have been created for dramatic purposes, etc…” blurb.
I cannot understand why they appear to have “hidden” that fact at the end.
It’s disingenuous and, even if 99% of events in the series ARE true, it has now put doubt in people’s minds which is a real shame.

Reactions: 16
Tbh how many people watch the end credits?
In the opening credits it states “this is a true story” without the disclaimer.
Imho they should have then immediately followed that with the “some events have been created for dramatic purposes, etc…” blurb.
I cannot understand why they appear to have “hidden” that fact at the end.
It’s disingenuous and, even if 99% of events in the series ARE true, it has now put doubt in people’s minds which is a real shame.
The Crown is another one... Real people, but it's a drama. Have we lost all critical thinking?

Reactions: 20
The Crown is another one... Real people, but it's a drama. Have we lost all critical thinking?
That’s the point though. The Crown doesn’t claim to be a true story. So the assumption is that it’s been dramatised. BR claims to be a true story. Not based on a true story - a true story that has not been qualified in any way. I certainly didn’t see the disclaimer after the credits when I watched the series. And it’s fair enough RG saying in interviews that Martha never went to prison in real life - but not everyone saw those interviews. It should have been all explicitly stated at the start just how true a story it was.

Reactions: 15
It could still be a true story, I think we can all agree she was lying a lot in that interview, so her denying an assault doesn’t mean anything, maybe it did happen

Reactions: 3
I think he meant she won’t see herself in this as she thinks she has done nothing wrong - she has no insight.
It is a true story - RG’s truth/story. It’s from his perspective.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.