Your accent

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My Grandmother is from South Africa. Lived in London for many many years but still has quite an accent. We always thought it funny to get her to say “Ice cream”
My friend is from South Africa but has lived in the Uk for nearly 20 years, in Wales for most of it. Her accent is still there but much less so than when we first met and she now has a bit of a Welsh twang. When we're drunk we always ask her to say blanket and hill as we love how she says them!

i've got a welsh accent (south west, not valleys strong or anything) and i don't mind it - hate listening to it on a recording but it seems to go over well with people, i guess it's a friendly accent? My favourite accent is Southern Irish, it's such a pleasant sound but i quite like Northern Irish too.

i love how accents change depending on who you're talking to - my friend from Essex has a fairly neutral accent day to day as hasn't lived there for years but put her in a room with her mum and it's so broad it's unbelievable!

Reactions: 2
I love accents. I find the Newport (Wales) accent and some of the Lancashire / Greater Manchester accents (specifically Wigan, Burnley, Bolton) really sexy.

I used to have a Scouse accent, but I lost it when we moved to Milton Keynes when I was 6 (I'm now 43).

Milton Keynes is a fairly non-descript accent, it's like a slightly well-spoken version of cockney. All locals pronounce Milton Keynes as "Mill-UN Keens", we drop our letter T a lot.

Some MK folk that have been here since the city was founded, have a Northampton twang to their accent, which is a touch of the "oo-arrr" country bumpkins to it.

I don't mind my accent. I work in broadcasting part-time and I tend to enunciate a bit more on the radio, but not too much as it wouldn't sound natural.

I'm from Hull and we have our very own unique breed of a Yorkshire accent which is just... something else.
I don't think my accent is very strong, and other people comment that I do have the accent but I don't sound as bad as others.
You really know a Hull accent when they pronounce "Phone" as "Fern" and we are notorious for saying "Nerr" instead of "No"
I got picked on at school for saying Lunch instead of Dinner so people thought I was posh 🙄
My partner is from Kent so his accent sticks out like a sore thumb here, his accent is not dissimilar to Essex, but I think it's a bit more mellow.
On the other end of the scale I had a friend who lived just outside of Hull her whole life, both parents were Scottish but I have no idea what to class her accent as at all. It's slightly posh, but there is no Hull or Scottish twang. I wouldn't even call it a Yorkshire accent. It's baffling.
I've a friend who's from 'ull. I adore her accent.

She's been living down here for a number of years and still her daughter has to translate for her to other people as her accent is so strong. I understand her word perfect, but some of the words sound so different, even more so to non-native English speakers.

Last edited:
I love accents. I find the Newport (Wales) accent and some of the Lancashire / Greater Manchester accents (specifically Wigan, Burnley, Bolton) really sexy.

I used to have a Scouse accent, but I lost it when we moved to Milton Keynes when I was 6 (I'm now 43).

Milton Keynes is a fairly non-descript accent, it's like a slightly well-spoken version of cockney. All locals pronounce Milton Keynes as "Mill-UN Keens", we drop our letter T a lot.

Some MK folk that have been here since the city was founded, have a Northampton twang to their accent, which is a touch of the "oo-arrr" country bumpkins to it.

I don't mind my accent. I work in broadcasting part-time and I tend to enunciate a bit more on the radio, but not too much as it wouldn't sound natural.

I've a friend who's from 'ull. I adore her accent.

She's been living down here for a number of years and still her daughter has to translate for her to other people as her accent is so strong. I understand her word perfect, but some of the words sound so different, even more so to non-native English speakers.
That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone saying a Newport accent is sexy! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Absolutely love a scouse accent! Sounds so friendly and warm to me.

I've lived in the UK for almost a decade now, but think that I still have a very strong South African accent, although I often am mistaken for being from Australia or NZ. Funnily enough, when I do go back to SA on holiday, everyone thinks I'm a tourist. 🤔
where in Port Elizabeth? I grew up there, and moved to Johannesburg

Reactions: 1
I’m South London and like my accent .. I think I’m quite well spoken to be honest. Not the Queen’s English but not as “South London” as others! Went on holiday years ago and met a group of guys from Leicester who thought we were cockney but I’m not at all! 😂

Mines Yorkshire which wasn’t a problem when I lived there but I met a southerner and moved to the midlands

nobody ever has a clue what I’m saying!

we did ‘hook a duck’ at work once

they made me go round asking people if they wanted a go

the problem was,that in a busy restaurant with a lot of noise people thought I was saying ‘duck a duck’

we ended up doing a lucky dip instead…

as my boss pointed out,even I couldn’t bugger that one up!

my fella never understands what the hell it is I’m saying-I often have to say it really slowly so he catches on-I don’t say my ‘H’s’

he loves it when I say ‘hitlers house has an hoover’ as I say it ‘itilers Ouse as an hooovvveeerrr’ or ‘a hungry horse as a hangover’ turns into ‘a ungry oss as a angover’

I’ll be at work and nobody understands when I say ‘owt else needs doing?’

many’s the time they’ve thought I’m taking the pis when I’m really not

in all I love my accent-just a shame it causes much confusion

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Scouse enough to tell I’m scouse outside of Liverpool, but not scouse enough to know I’m a scouser in Liverpool 🤣 When I’m away somewhere it’s “ohh, we have a scouser” but in Liverpool people have asked if I’m from here originally 🤨 I think it’s because I’m quite soft-spoken.