Would you report this?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This past week I’ve been to visit 3 childminders for my 1 year old, 2 of them I really liked and I’m going with the one nearest to me out of them. The 1st one I went to I was quite concerned with. She’s registered with ofsted through an agency so it’s the agency that’s actually inspected, not her. She told me she worked in a nursery for 4 years (it got shut down due to being bad) and she was slagging off the nursery. She’s been a childminder since feb.
My concerns:
A) when I was there we had a chat in living room.. 2 kids sat watching tv (not a bad thing unless it’s 24/7) no toys were out though, 3 year old kid playing in garden unsupervised with door shut
B) no stair gate, cupboard locks, things left on side, when I was there a 1 year old grabbed her phone off the kitchen side that was on charge, big trampoline that had no side net
C) when I asked how she deals with bad behaviour She said she taps the child’s arm and says no or uses the naughty step which I’m not happy with.. I prefer positive enforcement personally especially for a 1 year old

overall I just had general concerns, lack of toys, play space, also a lot of her personal stuff around that kids couldnt use, she said she’s getting a Wendy house for her kids xmas present that childminding kids can’t use
Is this worth of a report or should I leave it
Another thing what has really pissed me off is that there was a child there literally sat next to my child coughing And sneezing all over him, she didn’t apologise or move him. I had to pick up my son and hold him the whole time so this child wouldn’t go near him. Surely she should or rearranged giving this pandemic. My son is now ill and will need a coronavirus test or I can’t work, he’s had a high temp all day today

If she openly told you how she deals with bad behaviour then ai assume she would have told the other parents so they are aware of this and the environment the children are being cared for in.

While the safety concerns dont seem ideal to me surely Ofsted etc would pick up on these when they inspect ? It's a tricky one but unless you have seen children being openly being mistreated or abused I'm not really sure they would be bothered ? But hey if its playing on your mind and you feel its justified then do it.

I feel its more that these issues wouldnt want this a place where your child was cared for (I wouldnt either) but if the other parents are okay with it then so be it for if them if that makes sense ?

If she openly told you how she deals with bad behaviour then ai assume she would have told the other parents so they are aware of this and the environment the children are being cared for in.

While the safety concerns dont seem ideal to me surely Ofsted etc would pick up on these when they inspect ? It's a tricky one but unless you have seen children being openly being mistreated or abused I'm not really sure they would be bothered ? But hey if its playing on your mind and you feel its justified then do it.

I feel its more that these issues wouldnt want this a place where your child was cared for (I wouldnt either) but if the other parents are okay with it then so be it for if them if that makes sense ?
Ofsted don’t inspect her, the agency is inspected so no visits are made to her house

Hmm... I probably would tbh. I don't think child safety is something you can um and ah over, and the fact you are thinking about reporting to mean means it should be reported.
The major concern for me here is the 3 yesr old in the garden with the door shut. Is the garden fully enclosed? Could they get out. If they were hurt would they be able to hear the child.
That is a MAJOR red flag for me. I think years old is far too young to be left outside unsupervised.

Reactions: 9
I didn’t even know they were able to operate without the actual place being assessed!
A child playing outdoors not being supervised would really worry me, and if it’s playing on your mind I would report.

Reactions: 2
How can she claim that she is ofsted registered, when she isn’t? That would be the first red flag. I understand that she works via an agency but what use is that when she’s meant to be looking after children in her own home? To be honest I would report her - there’s too many safety issues that you have mentioned and I’d never leave my child in her care based on the information you have given.

Reactions: 3
Ofsted don’t inspect her, the agency is inspected so no visits are made to her house
I thought to be a childminder you had to get a licence and you where inspected initially with then regular inspections ? If this is not the case then you definitely should

Reactions: 3
Please report. I would at least voice your concerns and then it becomes their decision as to whether they choose to investigate but at least you have done your bit. You would never forgive yourself if anything happened to a child in their care...

I thought to be a childminder you had to get a licence and you where inspected initially with then regular inspections ? If this is not the case then you definitely should
The agency itself is inspected rather than each individual childminder. I’ve looked on ofsted reports on her website and it’s not her name that’s on there it’s the agency managers name and address eg her name is Charlotte and it says “Laura does this very well..etc” she has visits from the agency regularly but said this hasn’t happened due to covid

Hmm... I probably would tbh. I don't think child safety is something you can um and ah over, and the fact you are thinking about reporting to mean means it should be reported.
The major concern for me here is the 3 yesr old in the garden with the door shut. Is the garden fully enclosed? Could they get out. If they were hurt would they be able to hear the child.
That is a MAJOR red flag for me. I think years old is far too young to be left outside unsupervised.
I’m not sure, from the back it didn’t look enclosed there’s a few bushes so hard to see. But from the front there was a gate that was shut. Could t say for certain, but if 3 year old was to go on trampoline and fall off as there were no sides... they’d definitely not be able to hear child it’s a very large garden with trampoline at the back

just thought I’d mention the 3 year old child was her own as I do think it’s relevant but it’s still not a great first impression
She’s currently only looking after one other child full time and has 2 other part timers starting soon (one being under 1)
Also just realised she never showed me any paperwork like qualifications dbs check references unlike the other child minders. Her husband was left alone with 1 year old when we went outside to chat which i wasn’t happy with

house was quite Rough. I know I shouldn’t even mention this and will probably get hate. I grew up on a very rough council estate, my family are literal chavs (smoke weed, never worked a day in their life) and I still love them. I’m thankful I grew up in that situation as it made me who I am today. But this childminder is really... idk what the word is. The house is a run down council house, doors missing off cupboards, bright house sofas, I just feel like they could of made an effort. And honestly I am concerned about the husband being arpund the house as she did say he doesn’t have DBS check. Why is he being left unsupervised with them.If she’s apparently worked in nursery’s first that long surely she’d know that’s a no no.

Last edited:
The agency itself is inspected rather than each individual childminder. I’ve looked on ofsted reports on her website and it’s not her name that’s on there it’s the agency managers name and address eg her name is Charlotte and it says “Laura does this very well..etc” she has visits from the agency regularly but said this hasn’t happened due to covid

I’m not sure, from the back it didn’t look enclosed there’s a few bushes so hard to see. But from the front there was a gate that was shut. Could t say for certain, but if 3 year old was to go on trampoline and fall off as there were no sides... they’d definitely not be able to hear child it’s a very large garden with trampoline at the back

just thought I’d mention the 3 year old child was her own as I do think it’s relevant but it’s still not a great first impression
She’s currently only looking after one other child full time and has 2 other part timers starting soon (one being under 1)
Also just realised she never showed me any paperwork like qualifications dbs check references unlike the other child minders. Her husband was left alone with 1 year old when we went outside to chat which i wasn’t happy with

house was quite Rough. I know I shouldn’t even mention this and will probably get hate. I grew up on a very rough council estate, my family are literal chavs (smoke weed, never worked a day in their life) and I still love them. I’m thankful I grew up in that situation as it made me who I am today. But this childminder is really... idk what the word is. The house is a run down council house, doors missing off cupboards, bright house sofas, I just feel like they could of made an effort. And honestly I am concerned about the husband being arpund the house as she did say he doesn’t have DBS check. Why is he being left unsupervised with them.If she’s apparently worked in nursery’s first that long surely she’d know that’s a no no.
Nah, duck that. An unchecked male having access to kids in this situation- no. No im
Sorry but no. You need to report her and quickly.

Reactions: 5
Yes you do, My friend is a registered childminder .I'm not sure how it works in England but where we are she has to be inspected every couple of years ,she has to have insurance and there's a list of home safety measures (stair gates ,blind cords have to have the correct fasteners etc ) plus she has to be up to date with paediatric first aid before they even consider putting you on the register ..

Reactions: 1
My childminders husband has to be DBS checked, it was one of the first things I checked with her. It’s definitely a requirement. I would definitely report her

Reactions: 4
This sounds horrific.

Report as soon as possible and chase/follow it up if need be.

She text me today asking if I’d made a decision yet as she has 2 other people waiting which is concerning

She text me today asking if I’d made a decision yet as she has 2 other people waiting which is concerning
Let her know you have made the decision that you're going to place your child somewhere else, use the excuse of the one you are using is closer to you if it is easier.

Then, as other posters have said, please report your concerns as soon as possible. I shan't say on here what my job is, but please report what you were told, what you observed, and the fact you know the husband is not DBS checked x

Let her know you have made the decision that you're going to place your child somewhere else, use the excuse of the one you are using is closer to you if it is easier.

Then, as other posters have said, please report your concerns as soon as possible. I shan't say on here what my job is, but please report what you were told, what you observed, and the fact you know the husband is not DBS checked x
Yes I actually said I’m going with one nearer! Who do I report to? Ofsted?

Yes I actually said I’m going with one nearer! Who do I report to? Ofsted?
Yes, and to the local area Safeguarding team at your local children's services, just to be on the safe side. The admitting she punishes behaviour by physical contact is the biggie when you call them