Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

GamerLlama87

Chatty Member
I hope I never have to go back to the office again 😅 I love working from home. I live 25 miles from work now, so the money I'm saving on not driving is awesome. Can roll out of bed 10 mins before start time. Work in my pyjamas. Work with my cats 😅 No insufferable Monday morning small talk while waiting for the kettle to boil. I honestly love it 😬😂

• Heart
Reactions: 23

no-no

VIP Member
I work in the NHS in an office based job and have been in the office throughout, we have a WFH rota, which is mainly to do with insufficient desk space as the team has grown significantly to deal with the workload. I don't have a problem going to the office, I'd hate to be stuck at home every single day, not having real human interaction or chat. Being able to leave the house and go to work has helped keep me sane this year. Oh, and it's only this week we've had the first positive covid case for anyone in the team.

My husband has WFH throughout the last 18 months and has been thoroughly enjoying the ability to leave the house and go to the office over the last few weeks. Most in his place are still choosing to WFH though, my husband is a senior manager and the company approach is going to be a hybrid model, probably two days in the office and many staff are complaining about even that. Frankly it just comes across as lazy, when the rest of society is open and presumably everyone is happy to go to shops, pubs, restaurants, parties, sports matches, any other large public event. Just as well those staff are prepared to get out their onesie's and actually leave the house for work. I get that many people feel the benefit of no commute, but it's increasingly looking like a middle class pandemic where office workers on secure salaries want to sit at home while the rest of society on low, unsecure wages trudge out to the house every day to ensure the Amazon deliveries keep coming.

And remember, if your job can be done fully remote anywhere in the UK, it can be done anywhere in the world for a cheaper wage.
It’s not just sitting at home though, is it? People are actually working, regardless of their attire, though I’ve yet to see a onesie on the thousands of video calls. Many have all sorts going on in their life that means being home-based gives them a better work-life balance, maybe for the first time ever. Nothing’s stopping those people in other industries changing careers if they want to work remotely 🤷‍♀️ That’s what I’d do if I was resentful of not being able to.

The argument that a job can be done anywhere is hogwash. Look at BT and their recent onshoring, and that’s “only” customer services. There is not going to be some mass offshoring of all the technical (or non-technical) roles being done from home. There are a lot of hidden costs to it.

Reactions: 10

Kezzle

I work in the NHS in an office based job and have been in the office throughout, we have a WFH rota, which is mainly to do with insufficient desk space as the team has grown significantly to deal with the workload. I don't have a problem going to the office, I'd hate to be stuck at home every single day, not having real human interaction or chat. Being able to leave the house and go to work has helped keep me sane this year. Oh, and it's only this week we've had the first positive covid case for anyone in the team.

My husband has WFH throughout the last 18 months and has been thoroughly enjoying the ability to leave the house and go to the office over the last few weeks. Most in his place are still choosing to WFH though, my husband is a senior manager and the company approach is going to be a hybrid model, probably two days in the office and many staff are complaining about even that. Frankly it just comes across as lazy, when the rest of society is open and presumably everyone is happy to go to shops, pubs, restaurants, parties, sports matches, any other large public event. Just as well those staff are prepared to get out their onesie's and actually leave the house for work. I get that many people feel the benefit of no commute, but it's increasingly looking like a middle class pandemic where office workers on secure salaries want to sit at home while the rest of society on low, unsecure wages trudge out to the house every day to ensure the Amazon deliveries keep coming.

And remember, if your job can be done fully remote anywhere in the UK, it can be done anywhere in the world for a cheaper wage.
Well that's grand for you and your husband who are happy going back to the office but where do you get off calling those who wish to continue WFH lazy?? I have worked damn hard WFH juggling work and home schooling and have actually been more productive. I suffer from depression and agoraphobia and being able to WFH has been absolutely liberating for me. I have been able to balance my home life as a single mum and work life way more effectively and have been able to go from part time hours to full time hours which I couldn't do if I was office based full time. So before you get so judgemental think about the reasons as to why people may want to WFH.

Reactions: 9

Libbie

VIP Member
I’ve been WFH since last March, I absolutely love it too! I have so much more quality time to myself, it’s more productive, and the best bit, I no longer have to deal with my odious colleague in person! Perfect! 👌🏻😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Tublet83

VIP Member
This comment on BBC haha
Utter twaddle. Homeworking is here to stay.

And if that means Russian oligarch property developers make less money from inner-city offices, so be it
Ehhh it’s not twaddle when people are saying it. If you live on your own it’s really isolating to also work home.

Fortheloveofme

I’m sorry but I loved working from home!
it was the best 2 years of my life
Waking up 10 min before work starts, eating whenever u want, 2pm showers, cleaning your house while working, no stupid small talk, not having to smell other people.
Honestly I love working from home.
But now my manager is talking us to go back to the office 2x a week it’s honestly giving me anxiety and it’s so pointless because I can do the exact same thing from home the funniest thing is she is telling us all to go back to the office but she hasn’t been in once hahaha stupid woman

The Devils Arse

VIP Member
I'd love to continue to be able to WFH. Just feel my day is more productive and I can do bits of housework etc during slow times. Just means I get more of a weekend to myself.

Plus I don't have to speak to anyone apart from my partner, the cat and the amazon man!

• Heart
Reactions: 7

DanaScully

Chatty Member
I've put an application in to continue permanent WFH with ad-hoc office days as required (e.g. team meetings or training, hopefully no more than one or two days per month).

Georgethecat

VIP Member
I've recently went back to full time working after being part time since returning from maternity... I love working from home but also enjoy the office banter and social aspect, going shopping on my lunch hour. I would be happy with a balance in the future, I feel it let's me be more organised during the week, simple things like putting a washing on at lunch, stripping the beds etc can get done on a break time as it takes 2 mins. It'll also be super useful for days my child is unwell and I've still tasks to complete if I can work flexibly.

1001 others

VIP Member
I just started working with a client two days in their office, three days in mine (at home). It's taken this to make me realise how much I've missed working with other people ... sure, office politics are hideous and all that, but having somewhere to get dressed up for and go to, and feeling very much part of something, does wonders for the spirit.

emm

VIP Member

I have never heard of VSA Capital but it sounded toxic afView attachment 777174
I don't get comments like these, if your job involves so little you are doing nothing from home, why would you be doing anything more in the office? I find office work often just consists of a few hours of work and then just time wasting meetings, chatting etc etc

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Allthatglitters666

Chatty Member
I hope I never have to go back to the office again 😅 I love working from home. I live 25 miles from work now, so the money I'm saving on not driving is awesome. Can roll out of bed 10 mins before start time. Work in my pyjamas. Work with my cats 😅 No insufferable Monday morning small talk while waiting for the kettle to boil. I honestly love it 😬😂
I think you might be me! 😂🤣

Homebird44

VIP Member
It’s not just sitting at home though, is it? People are actually working, regardless of their attire, though I’ve yet to see a onesie on the thousands of video calls. Many have all sorts going on in their life that means being home-based gives them a better work-life balance, maybe for the first time ever. Nothing’s stopping those people in other industries changing careers if they want to work remotely 🤷‍♀️ That’s what I’d do if I was resentful of not being able to.

The argument that a job can be done anywhere is hogwash. Look at BT and their recent onshoring, and that’s “only” customer services. There is not going to be some mass offshoring of all the technical (or non-technical) roles being done from home. There are a lot of hidden costs to it.
If ny workplace want to make me redundant and pay somebody in India to do my role, good luck to them. Hope they pass the MOD security checks. It not about laziness, its finances, less time of unreliable public transport. Costs us 5.5K a year for my husbands commute, trust me, he'd much rather work from home. I have to log on at a certain time and my employer can see how long I've been on a call for, its all recorded, no different from the office. You're lucky that you enjoy being at work, not everybody has that work environment

Edit this should have been a reply to @DaisyDeluxe!!!

no-no

VIP Member
We’re set to go hybrid next month, which I'm okay with because it’ll give me the opportunity to actually make an effort a couple of days a week and put all my asos purchases to use. But, hot-desking was mentioned and that unsettles me because I like to have my own desk (preferably in a corner!). If the hot-desking means I’m sitting with people not on my team there is no point going in, so I hope there’ll be some structure to it.

jaymie

VIP Member
I’ve got friends saying exactly this and are now looking for new roles!

I would like to be back a couple of days a week, more for social reasons and to go to the shops at lunch time 😂
This comment on BBC haha:

Utter twaddle. Homeworking is here to stay.

And if that means Russian oligarch property developers make less money from inner-city offices, so be it

I've recently went back to full time working after being part time since returning from maternity... I love working from home but also enjoy the office banter and social aspect, going shopping on my lunch hour. I would be happy with a balance in the future, I feel it let's me be more organised during the week, simple things like putting a washing on at lunch, stripping the beds etc can get done on a break time as it takes 2 mins. It'll also be super useful for days my child is unwell and I've still tasks to complete if I can work flexibly.
For me as a childless woman, is the sleep aspect for me. I get 8h of sleep with wfh and I still have time to squeeze in some walks and exercise here and there.

Croc

I've been working from home since September and love it. We moved house as well so now on the odd occasion I have to go into the office it costs me £45 a day.

No thanks, leave me at home.

rememberwayne

VIP Member
Pinning all my hopes on being able to go back to the office full time and actually see another human 😫😫
My friend is currently the opposite of yourself, she is possibly having to go back to office and dreading it. We are all different and would be great if we had a choice, the ones who like office can go in more, and vice versa.

Dot_Cotton

Chatty Member
I wouldn’t mind going one day or two days a month. I think people should be ok to choose their own way of working going forward. I would like to see people and have a chat but I am just as happy on my own really. Plus I just don’t know how I managed to get dressed, makeup done, hair done an travel to work. I can barely find time now and I’m not leaving the house!

Giftinghell

Chatty Member
Absolutely love WFH and the extra hours I get with my family. Makes no real difference to my job. Why pay thousands for my train and car parking when I can avoid it 👍🏼 To go in every now and then now costs me £30 a day, feels like a huge waste

bunnyboo

VIP Member
I was already doing WFH 1 to 2 days a week pre-covid, and now that I'm working from home full-time... I absolutely love it.

To put things into context, I used to have to get up at 6am to catch 2 different buses into the office. I'd have to rush through town to get another two crowded buses home in the evening. When I left my house at 6am, it was always very dark. When I left the office to catch my bus home, it would be dark again. By the time I got home, I'd be too tired to cook a proper dinner or anything and I'd end up falling asleep at 9.30pm-ish. On the weekend, I felt like all I was doing was catching up on rest.

I love the fact that now I can start work anywhere between 9 to 11am (flexitime). I also love being able to cook my own lunch. Or using lunch time to do some yoga, have a bath, sit in the garden etc. I wear leggings and PJs all I want, and the best part is I have so much energy in the evenings now that I can start doing things that I like or taking the time to cook myself a nice dinner. I'm extremely introverted by nature, so the whole small-talk and chit chats in the office used to grate on me tbh and make me quite anxious. I love that nowadays, I seem to be living life on my own terms.

Because my productivity and general energy levels have gone through the roof since switching to working from home full-time, my manager was quite happy to sign off on letting me WFH permanently post-covid. I may be required to come into the office once every 2 weeks, but I think I can live with that. :LOL:

• Heart