Where to live (London / Essex)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Decide to go for witham anyone got any experience? I’ve heard bad things about it from a friend that lived there. Easy to commute to London though

Decide to go for witham anyone got any experience? I’ve heard bad things about it from a friend that lived there. Easy to commute to London though
Avoid tesco/asda area

Otherwise really nice. We were looking to move there but we have an electric car and we found a lot of the houses don't have driveways so they weren't feasible

Otherwise great links to London as it is a mainline station not a branch line, High Street is OK, it's on the A12, close to Chelmsford that has a lot more going on but much cheaper.

Its a good one 👍

Avoid tesco/asda area

Otherwise really nice. We were looking to move there but we have an electric car and we found a lot of the houses don't have driveways so they weren't feasible

Otherwise great links to London as it is a mainline station not a branch line, High Street is OK, it's on the A12, close to Chelmsford that has a lot more going on but much cheaper.

Its a good one 👍
It’s the new houses area near Aldi, apparently a desirable area. Hope it’s good

It’s the new houses area near Aldi, apparently a desirable area. Hope it’s good
Yeh it's lovely round there. Every time we drive past my husband and I talk of moving there...one day hopefully 🙏

Reactions: 1
If you’re travelling by c2c trains, I would avoid the Loop (via Rainham / Chafford Hundred lines). Even without the Barking Riverside project rumbling along for years, whenever there is a problem, it is the first part to be shut. Stanford Le Hope is the last stop on the Loop and it takes so long to get into London and is especially uncomfortable with the Metro style trains (you could be standing on a service for over an hour).

Avoid Thurrock, Grays and Orsett for similar reasons, although in the next few years I think it is going to be roadwork hell as it is going to be bi-sected by the proposed Lower Thames Crossing. You could find yourself split off from your amenities like doctors and schools very easy.

I’d also avoid Basildon, Pitsea, Wickford and Billericay as well as Canvey. There is a serious problem with homelessness and crime, and Basildon council is planning to replace the entire town centre with high rise flats so it is going to be disruptive potentially for decades. Similar crime and homeless problems for Chalkwell, Hadleigh, Southend and Westcliff.

Stay north of the A127 and you will be fine. Hockley and Rayleigh have big nice pockets by comparison. Their trains are getting to be comparable to c2c but if there are major problems, at least c2c frequently honours tickets if you can get to a different station.

Source: Sarf Essex commuter for many many many years.

Reactions: 1