What to do with old, potentially unwanted car??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a car question I have no idea about 😅

So my car is kinda old (55 plate) and keeps having issues more and more so I'm gonna use my MOT next month to gauge whether to get rid of it or not. Like if it needed £500 of work done, I won't bother and will just get rid of it. But if I decide to do that, how does one dispose of an unwanted car?? 😅

I could sell it but I bought it for £1500 about 7 years ago so would anyone even want it?

Also currently pregnant and probably won't use the car much at all after baby comes, I'd rather use my boyfriends car because his is much newer and 5 doors so would be much easier so doesn't seem worth the cost of running mine and fixing it every few months! He also works less than 10 mins away so we'd manage fine with one car

Someone will want it - we helped my MIL sell her father’s old banger about 6 months ago … she got £300 for it from some chap who wanted it as a project car ! Some people fix cars for fun , if you’re upfront about the problems someone will take it off your hands I’m sure

Reactions: 1
Someone will want it - we helped my MIL sell her father’s old banger about 6 months ago … she got £300 for it from some chap who wanted it as a project car ! Some people fix cars for fun , if you’re upfront about the problems someone will take it off your hands I’m sure
That's true, I didn't think of it from a hobby/parts perspective. It's a Nissan Micra and it's served me so well, it's my first and only car I've ever had. But with a little one on the way I think I just want something newer and more practical, and bigger. Discovered after purchasing that our pushchair doesn't even fit in my boot 🙄🤣 so will probably just look for something newer closer to when I'd be returning to work late next year

You could try we buy any car.

I know they tend to knock money off for chips etc. But with an older car there might just be a flat couple of hundred quid.

I would possibly look to sell either on Facebook, local paper etc. Like someone else said if you are upfront and only ask for a couple of hundred quid someone will take it off you

You can also just sell it for scrap to a scrap dealer, although you wouldn’t get much for it.

Go on auto trader, put in similar stats to yours and see what kind of price they’re going for, you could then list it on there or FB. We sold my husbands S Reg fiesta for £500 a few years back. I’d not have paid £100 for it 😂

You could sell it at a scrap yard or if its not worth anything you can donate them to the fire service for training

Could you part exchange it when you get a new car? I want to get rid of my car in the next couple of years and was thinking part exchange might be easier as I have no idea about cars so if some random on fb starts asking questions I wouldnt know what to say.

We got paid £120 for them to take my husbands car as scrap about 7 years ago,

I woulda stick it on Facebook, I’m sure someone will take it off your hands for a few £100.

Could you part exchange it when you get a new car? I want to get rid of my car in the next couple of years and was thinking part exchange might be easier as I have no idea about cars so if some random on fb starts asking questions I wouldnt know what to say.
They will never give you anywhere near market rate in a part exchange.

I was the same with my old car, well actually I knew it was 100% going to fail it’s MOT. The MOT was due in January I knew it was going to fail in the February before but drove it until the month before the MOT (it was safe to drive).
I ended up selling it to we buy any car the month before the MOT was due and got around £500 and ended up buying another old car for £600 which has done me two years. Hopefully will pass it’s MOT but I’m feeling the same as you now just as the cars old so I’m just expecting it to fail.

Spares and repairs on FB Marketplace? Or someone might just need a cheap runaround that is prepared to pay to fix it up if required. Someone will want it! 😅

I know you said you don’t need a new car, but maybe helpful advise for someone in a similar position. Some car manufacturers offer scrappage schemes, where they can offer up to £2000 for your old car when buying a brand new one, this is then taken off as discount against the car you’re buying. If you google ‘scrappage schemes UK’ there’s websites with lists of manufacturers offering this.

ETA mechanic colleges use old cars as well for teaching, not sure on their buying process though, whether your could approach directly or whether they just buy from auctions etc.

I would definitely try and sell on Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace, Micra's tend to be popular as well, especially with first time drivers and delivery drivers just looking for a cheap runaround.

I’ve sold a car via webuyandcar and it was easy enough if you want to get rid of a car quickly, but they do knock money off for small things as with anything convenient there’s always a catch. If your car is in good nick it shouldn’t be a huge issue but if it’s worse for wear it probably isn’t the best option unless you just want rid.

We’ve sold a car that was on its last legs to a local scrap guy as well. Got a couple of hundred out of it and it was really convenient, we got a quote and booked online, then they came and collected the car and paid the money into my bank account later the same day. Don’t think we would have got much more for it from WBAC because it was getting old, had a few problems and wouldn’t even start up. Didn’t want to pay to fix it just to drive it to a wbac place so scrapyard it was.

I must admit I prefer these methods of getting rid of a car compared to trying to sell to strangers online. People ask too many questions that I probably don’t know the answer to. I’ve sold my kids old stuff online before and that was bad enough to navigate with time wasters and rude people.

I’ll just add when I sold to we buy any car we went when it was dark. My car was in pretty good condition even though it was old. But going in the dark they used a hand held light to look around the car for any issues. Which probably means it’s easier for them to miss any issues then it would in daylight, so maybe they won’t knock as much off.