What is normal for contact from solicitor (selling/buying property)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That's not right. It's a requirement to give you at least an estimated timescale. You can definitely ask them for one. A lot of the time with conveyancers there is work going on behind the scenes they just don't update the client because of workloads.
We don't give an estimated timescale in our letters of engagement - it's impossible to do so at the start of a transaction as you just don't know how complicated the matter will be until you delve deeper.

Reactions: 3
Thanks all. I do think some of this is down to personal practice on behalf of the solicitor and perhaps workload. I think my solicitor likes to only reach out on their terms when something is fully completed, but the radio silence in between doesn’t suit me - I need to know something is happening and then happy to let it play out.

I think I’ll use my seller’s solicitor for the other legal stuff as they are highly recommended by the seller and gave him an update yesterday on my current position! I can’t even get that for myself!

@Clickbait do you have managing agents for your flat and if so have they answered all the vendor’s solicitors questions regarding building future works sink fund etc. Searches all completed?
I bought a flat about ten years back cash buyer the process took six bloody months! Never used that firm again.
I bought a house a few years later did the whole thing in four weeks.
I know conveyancers are flat out at the moment. Good luck hang in there. It is a stressful time.

We sale agreed in July and our completion date was meant to be September. Ended up being pushed out to October to give the previous owner some extra time to move out.

We don't give an estimated timescale in our letters of engagement - it's impossible to do so at the start of a transaction as you just don't know how complicated the matter will be until you delve deeper.
Lots of conveyancers don't which is strange as it's the most complained about thing! Lots of firms give a generic sentance which helps them out when we're looking at their complaints 😊

Off topic but want to jump on the thread and ask if anyone has experience of selling a house with a lift conversion (no certificate)?

Advised by estate agent to apply for regularisation & building control not fully functional because of covid (not entering occupied homes). Since been told we shouldn't have applied for regularisation as conveyancing solicitor could have sorted indemnity insurance for the lack of certificate!

So now it's all gone tits up and I haven't a notion what's going to happen 😭

Off topic but want to jump on the thread and ask if anyone has experience of selling a house with a lift conversion (no certificate)?

Advised by estate agent to apply for regularisation & building control not fully functional because of covid (not entering occupied homes). Since been told we shouldn't have applied for regularisation as conveyancing solicitor could have sorted indemnity insurance for the lack of certificate!

So now it's all gone tits up and I haven't a notion what's going to happen 😭
I work in conveyancing, yes, your solicitor should be able to get indemnity insurance

Update that we have exchanged contracts now and have a date for completion. Thanks all for your advice.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I work in conveyancing, yes, your solicitor should be able to get indemnity insurance
Is it still possible to get indemnity insurance even though the regularisation application is with building control and shows on local searches? Thanks for the reply.