What do you think should be taught in schools?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
At the risk of labouring the point, the National Curriculum already contains most of the things people are suggesting should be added to it including mortgages, budgeting. I think the problem might be rather than not covering enough, it attempts to do too much so that most subjects can only be given fairly superficial attention. However having actually read the secondary school curriculum I struggle to identify what should be cut to allow a more in depth study of the things people think are important.
My daughter has never been taught these things from school. I do teaching at home and often discuss savings and budgeting so she has some knowledge. With her pocket money she has to save 10% every week as that’s how I live myself. The money I then save pays for things like Christmas/birthdays/unexpected bills/breaks away which she knows about. I’ve taught myself these skills though.

I think they should teach about how voting systems work such as STV. I think teaching and encouraging them to use their vote would be beneficial too as there is a huge proportion of society who do not exercise their right to vote so I think if they were taught about the importance of it they might decide to break tradition in their household and use their vote when they become eligible. For eg if someone comes from a family of non voters they probably won’t vote either.
The current National Curriculum includes:
  • the development of the political system of democratic government in the United Kingdom, including the roles of citizens, Parliament and the monarch
  • the operation of Parliament, including voting and elections, and the role of political parties
  • parliamentary democracy and the key elements of the constitution of the United Kingdom, including the power of government, the role of citizens and Parliament in holding those in power to account, and the different roles of the executive, legislature and judiciary and a free press
  • the different electoral systems used in and beyond the United Kingdom and actions citizens can take in democratic and electoral processes to influence decisions locally, nationally and beyond
  • other systems and forms of government, both democratic and non-democratic, beyond the United Kingdom
  • local, regional and international governance and the United Kingdom’s relations with the rest of Europe, the Commonwealth, the United Nations and the wider world
I also think religion studies should be removed from the curriculum. Of course we should learn about different religions but I feel that the teachings of religion and practicing religion should be done at home or at a place of worship.
I'd absolutely agree but to do what you say would require faith schools to be banned. They currently make up 37% of state funded primary schools and 19% of state funded secondary schools.

My daughter has never been taught these things from school. I do teaching at home and often discuss savings and budgeting so she has some knowledge. With her pocket money she has to save 10% every week as that’s how I live myself. The money I then save pays for things like Christmas/birthdays/unexpected bills/breaks away which she knows about. I’ve taught myself these skills though.
If your daughter hasn't been taught these things then perhaps the issue is not what is in the national curriculum but how and if schools adhere to it. That probably signals a wider debate about whether the existing NC is practically achievable and if not what should be dropped rather than added to it and possibly about school funding. Out if interest this is what the NC says should be taught:
  • the functions and uses of money, the importance and practice of budgeting, and managing risk (KS3)
  • income and expenditure, credit and debt, insurance, savings and pensions, financial products and services, and how public money is raised and spent. (KS4)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 1
The current National Curriculum includes:
  • the development of the political system of democratic government in the United Kingdom, including the roles of citizens, Parliament and the monarch
  • the operation of Parliament, including voting and elections, and the role of political parties
  • parliamentary democracy and the key elements of the constitution of the United Kingdom, including the power of government, the role of citizens and Parliament in holding those in power to account, and the different roles of the executive, legislature and judiciary and a free press
  • the different electoral systems used in and beyond the United Kingdom and actions citizens can take in democratic and electoral processes to influence decisions locally, nationally and beyond
  • other systems and forms of government, both democratic and non-democratic, beyond the United Kingdom
  • local, regional and international governance and the United Kingdom’s relations with the rest of Europe, the Commonwealth, the United Nations and the wider world

I'd absolutely agree but to do what you say would require faith schools to be banned. They currently make up 37% of state funded primary schools and 19% of state funded secondary schools.
In my own experience at school (in Northern Ireland) we were not taught about anything on that list in my school.

I think faith schools are slightly different because their studies are based on their religious beliefs so they should of course be given the will to do that it’s what the pupils and parents expect from those schools.

So much of this should be taught by parents. 🥴 They should take some responsibility otherwise I'm unsure on what a parents role actually is. My dad taught me money management, wrote CVS with me, my mum taught me how to cook and took me it driving.

We can't expect teachers to do all of this unless you want kids in school from 7am until 10pm.

Reactions: 2
So much of this should be taught by parents. 🥴 They should take some responsibility otherwise I'm unsure on what a parents role actually is. My dad taught me money management, wrote CVS with me, my mum taught me how to cook and took me it driving.

We can't expect teachers to do all of this unless you want kids in school from 7am until 10pm.
You were very lucky. I was taught about saving but not the depth I teach my daughter and I am no way an expert. Some parents don’t know how to do those things/skills though because they were never taught and it’s a vicious circle.

Reactions: 4

you were lucky, but some people do not have parents who teach them this and then they start off with less then others

Reactions: 2

I do agree but lots of other already disadvantaged kids have sh*t and neglectful parents. The only thing my father taught me was how not to be as a parent.

I also stopped driving completely with him because he would only swear and shout at me.

I started investing at 29 and taught my younger sister to start at 21. She’s already made over £200 in passive income in her first year of investing. She’ll be much better off financially then i was by the time she reaches 29.

how to cook
How to sew, repair stuff, basic electrical skills etc
How to drive and car maintenance
Social history
Consent and relationship/sex education with a greater emphasis on women’s sexual pleasure
Meditation and mindfulness
Gardening and growing your own veg
First aid

I definitely think UK schools should talk more about Northern Ireland and the role Britain had in the Irish famine and other genocides.

I do agree but lots of other already disadvantaged kids have sh*t and neglectful parents. The only thing my father taught me was how not to be as a parent.

I also stopped driving completely with him because he would only swear and shout at me.

I started investing at 29 and taught my younger sister to start at 21. She’s already made over £200 in passive income in her first year of investing. She’ll be much better off financially then i was by the time she reaches 29.
exactly .. can't even swim - I wish there had been regular lessons in schools about useful stuff like this

• Heart
how to cook
How to sew, repair stuff, basic electrical skills etc
How to drive and car maintenance
Social history
Consent and relationship/sex education with a greater emphasis on women’s sexual pleasure
Meditation and mindfulness
Gardening and growing your own veg
First aid

I definitely think UK schools should talk more about Northern Ireland and the role Britain had in the Irish famine and other genocides.
... and it has the added advantage that the kids will only be at home for about 30 minutes a day