West End Gossip #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They did it in Kings Cross in 2016 .It was in the other theatre when Lazarus was on. Didn't see it personally because 1 I wasnt into it until after i saw the movie and 2 erm Lazarus kinda took my time and money at that period
I saw it there twice and really enjoyed it. They did make some questionable casting choices of putting white people in latinx roles but it was before the industry had wised up to that and also I do get that London doesn’t have the same representation of that community as New York does.

The film version was OK but they cut entire storylines/characters to put different stuff in (the undocumented immigrant storyline) and rewrote the Benny/Nina dynamic which is much more compelling in the original.

I did love Lin and Chris Jackson’s cameos though 😂

Reactions: 1
I do wonder if casting issues are part of the reason it's not been done here.
---
Mentioned in another thread but 9pm tonight on channel 4 is Kevin Spaceys victims speaking out.

Last edited:
I don't particularly like this production anyway, so it's probably good the casting never appeals lol

I don’t mind him and I think he’s popular atm and taking full advantage. I saw Eddie Redmayne and Jessie Buckley in it and I don’t think anyone else can compare.
I saw them too - I have seen it a few time (I enter the lottery every day and have won a few times) - Eddie was good, but my favourite was actually Mason Alexander Park - nothing has compared! also the understudy, Matthew Gent was really good. Jake Shears was good but not outstanding. Layton should do fine - depends if he ca get past camp and in to seedy/dirty/creepy

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I thought Jake Shears was fantastic, as was Self Esteem. Jessie Buckley was also good, but I thought Eddie Redmayne was pretty dire, the man can’t sing and he was trying too hard to make weird choices instead of being believably weird (I know this is an unpopular opinion). I think Layton will have to work quite hard not to be ‘Layton Williams playing Emcee’ and I’d be interested to see if they change any of the choreo to make the most of having a strong dancer in the role…. not that I’m in a hurry to see it again!

Reactions: 2
I thought Jake Shears was fantastic, as was Self Esteem. Jessie Buckley was also good, but I thought Eddie Redmayne was pretty dire, the man can’t sing and he was trying too hard to make weird choices instead of being believably weird (I know this is an unpopular opinion). I think Layton will have to work quite hard not to be ‘Layton Williams playing Emcee’ and I’d be interested to see if they change any of the choreo to make the most of having a strong dancer in the role…. not that I’m in a hurry to see it again!
Based on Eddie's reception on broadway you're definitely not alone.in your opinion

Reactions: 1
Saw Eddie in the first week in 2021 and again in March 22 - he was better the second time when he'd settled in - but it was a very physical performance - hunched and with carefully choreographed positions and movements - it was all too carefully contrived - other Emcess didn't feel as though they were acting as much as Eddie did.

Mason Alexander Park, Matthew Gent and Jake Shears all felt like they were having fun when it all started, you could believe that he's had all the Cabaret girls ... and boys. There was a dirty seediness that Emcee needs that Eddie didn't give off. he was asexual and the better Emcees weren't - you believed two ladies with the other Emcess,

Reactions: 2