Weight loss surgery

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you agree or disagree with this? Be it a gastric band / bypass or whatever other things there are out there on offer?! Does the weight staff off?

Any nightmare stories?

I think to each their own, it works for some people and not for others! I think it best to at least try and lose weight yourself, but if that’s too hard or there is too much to lose then I guess go for it. I can understand those people that are morbidly obese like the people you see on the American shows going for this option as it must just seem an impossible task to lose weight alone when you are so big. If it improves someone’s quality of life then fine. A lot of people say it’s lazy and easy but from what I’ve read it doesn’t sound particularly pleasant, I certainly wouldn’t want to go through it myself. I kind of feel sympathy for those that see it as the only option because it’s major surgery and a major life change afterwards. It’s a big thing to go through. As I said it’s a completely personal choice and everyone has a reason why they’ve decided this is the best way for them and I don’t think we should judge anyone for that.

Reactions: 1
I worked with a lady who had whichever one half’s the size of your stomach and she was in and out of work poorly for the best part of a year.

Her weight loss was amazing, she was very big and was probs a size 12 by the time she left. But, I would have questioned whether it helped her relationship with food as I never seen her eating actual wholesome food, she used to eat whatever cakes and biscuits were on display in the office and then I’d meet her in the toilet vomiting, she said if she ate that kind of food it messed up her stomach.

She eventually had to leave work for health reasons. I didn’t really know her to talk to too much, but she didn’t mention once in my company whilst she loved she now had the confidence to do things she wouldn’t have done before.. if she realised what her journey would have been like she wouldn’t have had the surgery but she felt it was the best option at the time.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I’ve had the gastric sleeve (where they remove half your stomach) and I’ve lost over 4 stone. I have been overweight all my life. I can honestly say it’s not the easy way out. It’s a tool to help you lose weight and you have to work at it every day.

Reactions: 3
I work with bariatric patients and consultants who do the surgery
I would say it depends on the reasons for wanting the surgery , I’ve seen a few horror stories and I’ve seen people seeing it as a quick fix solution instead of dealing with the issues that’s made them big to start off

I had a bypass nearly 2 years ago. I have lost 9 stone. It is honestly the best thing I have ever done. I could lose weight but not keep it off. It’s changed my life, I can’t rave about it enough!
It isn’t the easy way out as some people think, it is a tool (so cliche and I didn’t understand that saying until I was living it) If you don’t change your habits or continue to eat poorly, you won’t be able to keep the weight off. If I eat too much sugar/fat or simply too fast, I get an explosive upset tummy that doesn’t choose if it’s in the privacy of my own home or at work or out and about! I’ve also suffered hypoglycaemia so I have to eat sensibly.
I’m honestly happy to discuss it more if people want to PM me 😀

Reactions: 5
I am waiting for one last consultation (which i presume will be postponed till after lockdown) to get the fo ahead for and RNY surgery (similar to gastric sleeve) its by no way an easy fix and its a huge life change. Ive still had to make an effort to lose some weight on my own as well. Ive been over weight all my life and had a bad relationship with food, im slowly trying to change little things. Its not something you can just decide to do cos its easy. I did so much research followed some instagrammers talk to lots of people. Theres no point getting a huge surgery like this if you just want to look good. Its still a lifestyle overhaul and something that you have to be concious of. I have lost lots of weight and regained
+ more every time. Im now at my biggest and almost thirty. The scariest thing for me is potential health problems if i dont sort myself out now (I look after elderly and disabled people for a job) and i end up poorly with a poor quality of life through my own doing. Also i am trying to work on loving myself more, because if you want to lose weight (or dont) you should always do it out of self love ❤

I am waiting for one last consultation (which i presume will be postponed till after lockdown) to get the fo ahead for and RNY surgery (similar to gastric sleeve) its by no way an easy fix and its a huge life change. Ive still had to make an effort to lose some weight on my own as well. Ive been over weight all my life and had a bad relationship with food, im slowly trying to change little things. Its not something you can just decide to do cos its easy. I did so much research followed some instagrammers talk to lots of people. Theres no point getting a huge surgery like this if you just want to look good. Its still a lifestyle overhaul and something that you have to be concious of. I have lost lots of weight and regained
+ more every time. Im now at my biggest and almost thirty. The scariest thing for me is potential health problems if i dont sort myself out now (I look after elderly and disabled people for a job) and i end up poorly with a poor quality of life through my own doing. Also i am trying to work on loving myself more, because if you want to lose weight (or dont) you should always do it out of self love ❤
Good luck to you! My surgeon told me RNY is the gold standard of wls but people always only talk about the sleeve or band. Like I said, if you would like to chat about the process I am happy. I’d also recommend Instagram as the community there is amazing. It’s a lot of American people but I have found British profiles to help too xx

• Heart
Good luck to you! My surgeon told me RNY is the gold standard of wls but people always only talk about the sleeve or band. Like I said, if you would like to chat about the process I am happy. I’d also recommend Instagram as the community there is amazing. It’s a lot of American people but I have found British profiles to help too xx
Thankyou so much lovely!
Ive been signed off feom the psychiatrist now so just seen to see the dietician and surgeon! Im excited but really nervous and i must say instagram has been a huuuuuuge help! I follow a couple of british people (not found anyone from the north west yet) and its so encouraging and they are always incredibley honest about things too. Im sure ill be able to think of a few questions for you ❤ xx

Instawhut! I know a few people who have had the band and the bypass. Two are my friends sister and Mum.The sister was 32 stones and now is about 13 stones. The Mum was 18 stones and is now 14, she said you might as well do it yourself because you have to diet anyway.She also nearly choked when something get stuck above her band. Another lady is know was really big like 40 stones and she had the gastric bypass and is now like a size 12, she would have struggled to loose all that through diet and exercise alone!. I know only one person who has slimmed through diet and exercize and kept it off who was really big. She went to weightwatchers and joined the gym, she was very strict with herself though because she kept getting abscesses due to her weight. Fair play to her, it must have been really difficult for her.
What I'd say is go for it if you really cant manage loosing it with diet groups etc and are really big. You will have to diet though and eat healthily just the same as with normal slimming. Also look up all the possible side effects as well before you commit fully.

Instawhut! I know a few people who have had the band and the bypass. Two are my friends sister and Mum.The sister was 32 stones and now is about 13 stones. The Mum was 18 stones and is now 14, she said you might as well do it yourself because you have to diet anyway.She also nearly choked when something get stuck above her band. Another lady is know was really big like 40 stones and she had the gastric bypass and is now like a size 12, she would have struggled to loose all that through diet and exercise alone!. I know only one person who has slimmed through diet and exercize and kept it off who was really big. She went to weightwatchers and joined the gym, she was very strict with herself though because she kept getting abscesses due to her weight. Fair play to her, it must have been really difficult for her.
What I'd say is go for it if you really cant manage loosing it with diet groups etc and are really big. You will have to diet though and eat healthily just the same as with normal slimming. Also look up all the possible side effects as well before you commit fully.

Thankyou for the info its very much appreciated. I have heard a few bad stories as well but im thankfully currently in very good health and i do feel ive got that on my side. Im 5'9 and 27 stones currently, looking to be around 12 stones. Though i dont have any idea on a final weight as ive literally never ever been slim. Ive always veiwed having surgery as like having a 'system reset' and starting completely fresh! ❤ alot of the gastric bybass surgeries stop your body from tolerating sweet high sugar foods which is one of my problems if im honest so thats a big thing for me. And i guess eventually i wont miss those foods once ive stopped eating them!

Reactions: 2
Sounds ideal for you then.I'd also do a lot of walking and possibly cycling if you fancy it. Get a mountain bike though as the wheels are stronger, they will take your weight as long as your not doing jumps.

[/QUOT
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's RNY surgery? Weight loss surgery is something i am seriously contemplating at the minute - I'm the heaviest I've ever been and have had some health scares in past year.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's RNY surgery? Weight loss surgery is something i am seriously contemplating at the minute - I'm the heaviest I've ever been and have had some health scares in past year.

The vgs which is a (vertical gastric sleeve)and rny (roux en y) are both surgeries that remove most of your stomach.

That explains the rny there are other types but it dpends on your country and area depending what surgeries are offered xx

Do you agree or disagree with this? Be it a gastric band / bypass or whatever other things there are out there on offer?! Does the weight staff off?

Any nightmare stories?
I don't necessarily disagree with having the surgery as for some people who have been seriously overweight their whole lives and need to lose weight fast for their immediate health it can be a very useful tool.

However it is just that - a tool for weightloss. A lot of people who have the surgery expect it to be a guarantee for weightloss which it may be in the immediate short term, but after that it's down to you. And if you've struggled with your relationship with food before having the surgery - expect the same challenges after!

I considered weightloss surgery myself when I was at my heaviest after my friend had the surgery. However after she had the surgery she had to do the 'diet' part after that anyway - small portions, counting macros no overly greasy or fatty foods. These are all things you can do yourself without the invasive surgery...