Wedding advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello! I'm looking for some advice if possible. I'm getting married next September and my fiance is abroad with work until July, so everything is up to me to do... which sounds great but with a full time job it's becoming more of a burden than something I was hoping to find somewhat enjoyable and exciting. Has anyone got any tips on wedding planning? Honestly from anything small like table decorations or wedding favours would be greatly appreciated! I've got in mind what I want i.e. rustic, autumnal theme but finding time to scour the internet for items is impossible! Any hacks to make things cheaper would be amazing too! Sorry it's quite a broad request but it seems like I'm needing help in every aspect haha.

Reactions: 1
Hello,
When i was planning my wedding, I made a big list of what to do with a small box to tick when it’s done.
And then other lists, more precise about each items of the big list.
Putting what to do in a paper helped me visualise the whole wedding organisation.
Simple but it worked for me.

For the financial part, I made an excel worksheet to dispatch, and again visualise,the costs and the moment I have to pay, and when it’s paid.

Hope that helped.

Reactions: 1
Pinterest!! So much inspiration on there and diy tips! I done a lot of the decorations myself for my wedding. I think once you have a lot of inspiration you start getting excited

I second the Pinterest suggestion and lists always help! Could any friends help in the process, I got my friends come round and help with making decorations, table arrangements etc

A friend made lots of her table stuff with autumn leaves she collected. Looked beautiful.

I don't have much personal experience, as I gave up on my intensive wedding planning and decided to get hitched in Las Vegas instead. Pinterest has loads of ideas for cute and affordable diy decorations, and I see lots of people I know getting family members and friends involved in the crafting. Don't be afraid to ask for help, lots of people are happy to lend a hand or keep an eye out when they're shopping.

I don’t want to say too much but I have a lot of experience in the wedding industry. Make sure you book vendors you actually like and trust, not just based on their price. There is so much competition out there. Definitely use Pinterest but be very specific with what you like - it is easy to get swamped x

1. SET A BUDGET

So many friends of mine ended up spending mad amounts of money cos they had no upper budget. I set my budget and stuck to it - keep an excel spreadsheet. I started off by listing everything on it e.g. dress, venue, band, flowers, bridesmaids, ushers etc and an estimated amount of what I thought I'd spend on it. It will give you an idea of what is most important to you and you can budget accordingly.

Hi,
I planned my wedding in 6 months and on a small budget and I loved it! Ha!

I saved all glass jars (coffee, mayonnaise, pesto, etc) asked my parents to do the same and when I had the amount i wanted, I soaked off the labels and wrapped them in twine string. I used the bigger ones for my flowers on tables/around the hall and the smaller ones for candles.
I bought tea lights and candles from Ikea, tablecloths and bunting from eBay for decorating the hall. I hired chair covers locally which I found on gumtree.
These things saved money and meant that we could focus on spending on the important things for us like photography, my dress (☺) and we provided a free bar so we bought all the drinks when the supermarkets had deals on.
I second the other suggestions of Pinterest for ideas and asking family and friends to help - most will be delighted to. I was when i helped a friend make her table decorations using my twine idea!
hope this helps

Also, ask people you know (work colleagues, people at classes, gym, etc) what ‘talent’ they might have which might help. I went to yoga with a girl who was a florist so she did my flowers for me and a family friend is a hairdresser so she did my hair and her friend did my make up. All at reduced rates because I knew them. You’ll be surprised at what people around you can do and will be happy to offer a discount

Last edited:
Hello! I'm looking for some advice if possible. I'm getting married next September and my fiance is abroad with work until July, so everything is up to me to do... which sounds great but with a full time job it's becoming more of a burden than something I was hoping to find somewhat enjoyable and exciting. Has anyone got any tips on wedding planning? Honestly from anything small like table decorations or wedding favours would be greatly appreciated! I've got in mind what I want i.e. rustic, autumnal theme but finding time to scour the internet for items is impossible! Any hacks to make things cheaper would be amazing too! Sorry it's quite a broad request but it seems like I'm needing help in every aspect haha.
Congratulations! I am getting married next August and I’ve slowly created a spread sheet type list and a timeline of what needs done and when (it’s the control freak in me 😂🙊)! I have found this SO helpful and I feel less overwhelmed as everything is mapped out. I found initially I was hating the planning as it was too overwhelming and becoming a chore.

I’ve looked on FB marketplace for loads of 2nd hand bits and got some right bargains. I bought 10x log slices for £10 and these gold lanterns with candles for £30 to go with the tables. I’ve been following an account on insta too called @cheapweddingstuff don’t get me wrong some of it is tacky as duck but overall it’s been super helpful.

Also don’t be afraid to ask friends who’ve got married to borrow some of their stuff too! There’s loads of great foliage for cheap in the range which will go with the autumnal theme which will save you a fortune instead of buying fresh for decor.

Good luck!

Definitely write a list and a budget, we have a spreadsheet broken down to cover everything we want/need with columns covering total cost, paid and outstanding so we can see where we are with it all. I ended up hiring a venue dresser to do the table centrepieces because I couldn't be bothered collecting stuff and doing it myself (we're only having 5 tables so it's not particularly expensive). I got engaged Jan 2019 and will get married July 2021 and I have done virtually everything except for grooms suit, bridesmaid dresses, flowers and makeup.

Set a budget.

get the big things booked and paid for first - venue/cars/photographer/dress/suits etc

keep the rest simple. Don’t get things “just because” - you don’t have to have favours on the table for example, for the most part they are a waste of money and no one really cares about them!