Vintage clothing - buying and selling

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A thread for the unique highs and lows that come with buying and selling vintage clothing

Let's get down to the nitty gritty of:
  • Vintage sizing
  • Describing the condition of vintage clothes
  • Pricing
  • Sourcing stock
  • Taking a gamble on an item
  • Accurate dating of an item
  • Items without labels! There's nothing to go on! Help!
  • Tips for buying
  • Tips for selling
  • Garment care and laundering
  • Repairs
And, of course, let's talk about why we love vintage clothing so much.
---
I sell online and find measuring everything is invaluable.
Take photos where possible of exactly where you're measuring too as newcomers to vintage sometimes don't know something labelled size 14 in 1972 doesn't even remotely equal today's sizing. Rather than saying: dress, size 14, list it as "dress, waist 32"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I personally don't expect to be buying to sell on, largely because I imagine finding good items at a low enough price isn't as easy as it used to be! Although it could be fun if I had the time to mooch about.

I have several items that a) were vintage when I bought them b) were mine in youth and are now "vintage" cos I'm old haha.
I feel fairly confident dating them. (Do you ever play that game of dating a film by the clothes people are wearing??)
I agree with measurements as I was a 10 but so is my neighbour and our figures are very different. Not just bust/waist/hip but bodice and skirt lengths for example.

I had a quick look at the Vinted thread and it seems to be very much attracting the "carbooters" My biggest* stumbling block is how and where to sell at a fair price, and not have someone claiming eg the item was damaged when it wasn't and being forced by a platform to refund.
There used to be a clothing exchange locally (they'd sell in the shop and keep a % which is a reasonable trade off imo for avoiding nuisance customers.
(*after the mental battle of parting with a definitely pre-loved piece!)

Preliminary ramble over :)
Thanks @Kittypops
---

Last edited:
Yes! To the where to sell without someone saying: "this dress has been worn" and you having to pay postage on top of a full refund to get it back.

Double yes! To the pain of parting with a much-loved piece, this causes me so much turmoil. I'd love to know how to deal with this.

• Heart
Yes! To the where to sell without someone saying: "this dress has been worn" and you having to pay postage on top of a full refund to get it back.

Double yes! To the pain of parting with a much-loved piece, this causes me so much turmoil. I'd love to know how to deal with this.
In most cases it's a simple case of "they will never fit me again" or "I'd look ridiculous in that at my age" BUT I'm still not going to let them go to just anyone lol.
The "Wallis Simpson" coat will definitely be staying with me for now, and maybe I'll just keep one dress on a mannequin as a middle-class decor piece ...

• Heart
Reactions: 2
In most cases it's a simple case of "they will never fit me again" or "I'd look ridiculous in that at my age" BUT I'm still not going to let them go to just anyone lol.
The "Wallis Simpson" coat will definitely be staying with me for now, and maybe I'll just keep one dress on a mannequin as a middle-class decor piece ...
This is the magic hold that vintage clothing has on us. It's hard to put into words!
And, yes, we give them names, such as your "Wallis Simpson Coat"

I think it's because the clothes have lived a life or two and they have a personality and a history that imagination takes hold of :)