Underweight

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all. This post mentions weight so might be triggering for people with eating disorders. Just thought I should give a warning.

I learned today that I'm classed as severely underweight. I knew my weight was low but honestly surprised that it's this low. Freaking out a bit because I'm not restricting calories and have never been diagnosed with an ED. The lack of explanation for the weight loss is what's concerning. I keep thinking what if it's a serious illness? Blood test results were fine except low iron, but what if it's something that isn't picked up by a standard blood test? Periods have stopped too.

Just to add context: I restarted meds for mental health issues and they've caused lack of appetite and stomach issues. Also having panic attacks daily which doesn't help.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? There's a lot of information for people wanting to lose weight, but not so much for people trying to gain it. I'm in touch with the GP so I'm sure they'll make suggestions.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Could you manage some high quality, calorie dense food? Eg extra virgin olive oil on any salad, handfuls of nuts like Brazil nuts.

If you dont mind saying what do you eat in an average day?
Tbh it's hard to say because my appetite goes up and down. Most days I'll have dinner - don't eat meat so it'll be veg + carbs, e.g. baked potato w/salad or veg, cous cous with roasted vegetables, a stir-fry, pasta bake. That kind of thing. Then another smaller thing like a soup, sandwich or yoghurt. Plus snacks like fruit, cashew nuts, cheese, cereal, biscuits (but not all of those at once). I doubt it's enough calories but it's not as though I've stopped eating. I don't really know what's a normal amount for the average person though?

Could you manage some high quality, calorie dense food? Eg extra virgin olive oil on any salad, handfuls of nuts like Brazil nuts.
Thanks for replying. I try to include whole milk and butter in my diet just for extra calories. The olive oil is a good idea too.

Reactions: 2
Hi all. This post mentions weight so might be triggering for people with eating disorders. Just thought I should give a warning.

I learned today that I'm classed as severely underweight. I knew my weight was low but honestly surprised that it's this low. Freaking out a bit because I'm not restricting calories and have never been diagnosed with an ED. The lack of explanation for the weight loss is what's concerning. I keep thinking what if it's a serious illness? Blood test results were fine except low iron, but what if it's something that isn't picked up by a standard blood test? Periods have stopped too.

Just to add context: I restarted meds for mental health issues and they've caused lack of appetite and stomach issues. Also having panic attacks daily which doesn't help.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? There's a lot of information for people wanting to lose weight, but not so much for people trying to gain it. I'm in touch with the GP so I'm sure they'll make suggestions.
Hi,

Hope you're okay! When I started my medication for MH, I lost a lot of weight as I was being sick, couldn't eat or was having an upset stomach. If you have just started it could be that? It should pass soon (hang in there), you'll get your appetite back soon and see the good impact of the medication.

You've done the right thing raising it with your GP - hope they can help.

Reactions: 2
When I was needing to regain weight lost through illness, I was advised to put some skimmed milk powder in my whole milk as a way to easily up kcals while not eating much.

Has your weight loss been sudden - ie over a few weeks - and have you experienced a lot of thirst / needing to go to the toilet for a wee frequently / feeling very tired?

Tbh it's hard to say because my appetite goes up and down. Most days I'll have dinner - don't eat meat so it'll be veg + carbs, e.g. baked potato w/salad or veg, cous cous with roasted vegetables, a stir-fry, pasta bake. That kind of thing. Then another smaller thing like a soup, sandwich or yoghurt. Plus snacks like fruit, cashew nuts, cheese, cereal, biscuits (but not all of those at once). I doubt it's enough calories but it's not as though I've stopped eating. I don't really know what's a normal amount for the average person though?

Thanks for replying. I try to include whole milk and butter in my diet just for extra calories. The olive oil is a good idea too.
Honestly this does sound like not a lot of food, it sounds more like my diet when I'm trying to lose weight! You might be best off trying to weigh and measure your food for a few days and work out how many calories are in your diet typically, similar to how people would when losing weight. I think it would be beneficial to see how many grams of protein etc you are eating every day.

The doctor would probably be the best place to suggest how to raise your calories. That being said, things like nuts and nut butters, protein shakes, avocado, cheeses, oils and butter etc are all pretty calorie dense and will help.

Good luck :)

Reactions: 4
Women need at least 2000 calories a day so if you want to gain weight you need to eat about 500cal a day more than that.
When I was needing to regain weight lost through illness, I was advised to put some skimmed milk powder in my whole milk as a way to easily up kcals while not eating much.

Has your weight loss been sudden - ie over a few weeks - and have you experienced a lot of thirst / needing to go to the toilet for a wee frequently / feeling very tired?
Boots the chemist do a weight gaining milk powder called Complan.

Hi,

Hope you're okay! When I started my medication for MH, I lost a lot of weight as I was being sick, couldn't eat or was having an upset stomach. If you have just started it could be that? It should pass soon (hang in there), you'll get your appetite back soon and see the good impact of the medication.

You've done the right thing raising it with your GP - hope they can help.
Thanks! Hope you're feeling better now?

I've been tired, but none of the other symptoms. The weight loss has been gradual rather than sudden. I'm also going to see an endocrinologist because something's up with my hormones. Don't know if that'll have any effect on weight but it's possible?

The doctor would probably be the best place to suggest how to raise your calories. That being said, things like nuts and nut butters, protein shakes, avocado, cheeses, oils and butter etc are all pretty calorie dense and will help.
Thanks for the advice. I talked to the GP and she's prescribed some protein drinks.

I've been tired, but none of the other symptoms. The weight loss has been gradual rather than sudden. I'm also going to see an endocrinologist because something's up with my hormones. Don't know if that'll have any effect on weight but it's possible?
Glad that you're on the path to getting some answers. I only asked about those four symptoms, dubbed the four T's - thirsty, toilet, tired, thinner - because combined they are a symptom of undiagnosed Type 1 diabetes (which is an autoimmune condition, and different to the diabetes often written about in the press which is a metabolic condition formally called Type 2 diabetes). Type 1 onset can be very rapid, and many GPs don't think to test adults for Type 1 as they're under the illusion it only affects children.

Glad that you're on the path to getting some answers. I only asked about those four symptoms, dubbed the four T's - thirsty, toilet, tired, thinner - because combined they are a symptom of undiagnosed Type 1 diabetes (which is an autoimmune condition, and different to the diabetes often written about in the press which is a metabolic condition formally called Type 2 diabetes). Type 1 onset can be very rapid, and many GPs don't think to test adults for Type 1 as they're under the illusion it only affects children.
Oh right I didn't know that. Thanks for explaining. Would it show up on one of those pinprick blood sugar tests? I had blood sugar checked not too long ago.

I’ve always been on the skinner side, classed as underweight, even during pregnancy. For me it’s just always been how I am however not severely underweight.

I didn’t notice if you said it was A recent weight loss or if it’s always been that was as that could lead to two different pathways for tests. It could be as simple as malabsorption but there can be so many causes (celiac, lactose intolerance etc) and it might be best just to have a chat with your GP to see if they can get you referred for tests to rule any underlying conditions out.

in the meantime it might be worth seeing if you get get some Ensure. We give it to patients who have trouble eating, and although you are eating, it might just give you the boost you need.

I am a vegetarian and have been underweight sporadically in my adult life. I found that protein shakes helped me gain weight and the Complan drinks (alongside your normal diet, not instead of).

Hope you're ok :)

I use the nutracheck app every so often. It is eye opening for me to see how easily my diet drifts into unbalanced. It makes it easy to spot the foods I eat that are high protein, low sugar, low saturated fats etc, whatever I am most concerned about at that time. Also discovered I do tend to eat quite a bit less calorie wise than is recommended so again, easy to notice when I am falling short and add in a snack.