Travel Sickness

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Morning

My daughter is potentially going to France on a school trip in summer. She can suffer with travel sickness. We’ve always given her Kwells with varying levels of success. I’m desperate for her to go and not miss out on what sounds like an amazing trip but I’m a bit apprehensive that she’ll be going so far in a coach/ ferry (15hrs) when she could end up spending most of that with her head in a bag. She has got much better with it as she’s got older but I’m worried that the tiredness and length of journey might bring it on.

it’s not something I’ve ever suffered with so if anyone could give me any of their tried and trusted remedies/ medication I would be super grateful.

thank you 😊

You can get travel sickness wrist bands which are worth a try as they can do the trick!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I can get bad travel sickness. I find the boots own travel sickness tablets work well even though they are the same as the qwells.
I used to have just over an hours bus ride to college which every morning I’d be sick/nearly be sick. I found listening to music so I couldn’t hear the engine stopped this mostly.
I didn’t find the travel bands helped at all.
Also recently found some sticky spots for behind the ear that are meant to help, something to do with smell I think. I used these but felt sick however I was wearing a mask when I tried them so it’s possible that the mask effected how they work.

Stugeron are the best brand I’ve found, I can get sick just doing a ten min drive as a passenger but with these I can do coach trips

Maybe try her on other journeys with a few different brands, for example for antihistamines cetirizine does nothing but loratadine sorts me right out, partner is the opposite

Reactions: 2
Good plan I’ll get a few different sorts and see which ones seem to work the best 😊 thank you.

maybe a stupid question @Former_Antelopee but did it make any difference where you sat on the bus? Near the window or an aisle seat?

Good plan I’ll get a few different sorts and see which ones seem to work the best 😊 thank you.

maybe a stupid question @Former_Antelopee but did it make any difference where you sat on the bus? Near the window or an aisle seat?
I usually sit near the front so I can look out the front window (same in a car) so I can see where we are going as that’s the main thing that helps.
i don’t think window/aisle mattered although I do think if I’m not at the front then maybe the window seat so I can rest my head on the windows close my eyes as that seems to help.
Another thing that surprisingly helps is lying down across seats if there is two (like on a bus), wouldn’t do it on a public bus. This even helped for boat sickness, Someone told me to look at the horizon and not lie down but looking at the horizon made me feel sick but lying down didn’t.

I always take dramamine with me when I know I will be in a bus/coach or a car for long distances (if I am not driving the car!!!). It's terrible. If there's air conditioning that helps having the cool air on my face. Even with the medication though I can't read a thing or do anything but stare out the window. It's really not fun :(

I always take dramamine with me when I know I will be in a bus/coach or a car for long distances (if I am not driving the car!!!). It's terrible. If there's air conditioning that helps having the cool air on my face. Even with the medication though I can't read a thing or do anything but stare out the window. It's really not fun :(
Oh yes I forgot keeping it cold and air con blowing straight at me helps so much. If no air con then an open window

I get very bad travel sickness on flights. I stick to plain foods like bread, fruit and ready salted crisps. (Emirates do a fruit platter option which is incredible. Just fruit for every meal, delicious!) Coke is good especially if icy cold, and chewing ice in general can be good for hydration and easing the discomfort. Also chewing mints (I like soft mints) or minty gum. Taking medicine (the one I take is super strong so I don't reccommend it.) Is good, but sadly the wrist bands don't work for me. I've heard ginger sweets helps some people. Also agree that having cool air blowing or more ideally, fresh air like an open window helps. I also avoid reading.

Wanted to say she’d be better sitting on an aisle seat on the coach. I was travelling on a coach on the Italian coast (very windy roads) which gave me chronic travel sickness but it was much improved by moving from the window seat. I believe looking forwards through the windscreen helps as I only get travel sick in the back of cars now.

My sisinlaw has been on luxury cruises she got seasick was given patches,you place it behind the ear,worked a treat.

The are called MQ motion sickness patches.

Never sit over the wheels on a bus/coach if you get sick, and I find further back worse

Reactions: 2
I’ve just been on holiday and used the boots travel sickness pills. They definitely helped. I found I was starting to feel nauseous and then it was like a switch flicked and I felt normal again.

I’ve just been on holiday and used the boots travel sickness pills. They definitely helped. I found I was starting to feel nauseous and then it was like a switch flicked and I felt normal again.
I’ve ordered some, I’m glad their back in stock they’ve not had any for so long