To ask for job back or not to ask for job back

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi, advice needed!! This may be long but needs context.

I have been a Nanny since uni, but just after I graduated I had my first baby then 20 months later I had my 2nd. I have worked 2 days a week since having my first and I said when I went on maternity leave for my 2nd in Feb that I wouldn’t come back as wanted some time off to reassess where I’m at in my career and life (I have a degree in clinical psychology and post-grad diploma in mental health studies, would have been a full masters but...baby). The job is great, I love what I do but it can be mind numbing and my brain just isn’t being used how I would like - especially now I have my own children.

Anyway, financially this year has hit us like a truck. We decided to move and to pay more rent for a nicer house/more space in the middle of a bloody pandemic while my partner was furloughed which was tough blah blah etc you get the drill, everyone’s going through it.

Essentially, for the past few months I’ve been working for them again to fill in for their new Nanny who had to go and do some other work elsewhere in her other profession and am now working until the end of the year and then she’ll be coming back. The thing is, we could really use the money and it’s been such a great help having the extra money for emergencies, Christmas, help with bills etc, and I really am regretting saying that I wouldn’t come back because it’s only just dawned on me that my career is up the spout until my kids are in nursery/school full time (they currently are looked after by my parents on the 2 days I do work thank goodness!!! So so lucky) as the wage I would be earning would barely even cover nursery fees for both of them, so essentially what would be the point in returning to work full time? My parents definitely couldn’t look after them all week as they work themselves. I guess it’s a case of delusions of what the reality would actually be like and the reality is that childcare is bloody expensive and I would rather be at home with my kids if I can rather than working full time just to pay someone else to look after them. I really have it cushty there and I could hit myself for not just riding it out a little longer.

I guess the advice I’m looking for is:
1) if you had kids young/just out of school/uni how did you manage your career expectations?
2) should I just start doing things to aid my career now instead of working? I.e. volunteering, finishing my masters etc
3) how do I ask for my job back? 😬

Hope this all makes sense (it probably doesn’t but I’m bloody knackered) I could definitely just not work as I have been before these past few months as we can just about afford to cover everything but it makes me feel so much more secure knowing we have a second income even if it is just literally pennies. Thanks in advance!

It seems counter productive that your parents are looking after your kids while you go to look after someone else’s kids for a fee. Why not set up as a childminder at home yourself and have your kids at home and look after another??

Reactions: 3
Is there any way you could get a different, part time, nannying job? So your parents would still be able to look after your kids and you wouldn’t spend your wages all on childcare as you would with full time? Have you looked in to what help you’d be entitled to in terms of childcare vouchers etc that may take the sting out of the fees of nursery?

I am a qualified teacher, but when I had my kids (7,4,2 and pregnant with No4) I knew I didn’t want to work full time. Childcare is my parents as well, even if I did work full time, but it just isn’t for me. So instead - for now - I work as a substitute teacher. It means I get the best of both worlds - being at home and also earning money at work. (Part time teaching jobs are too difficult to come in my area by so that wasn’t an option)

Is there anything else you would consider doing in the same childcare field that could be part time if nannying p/t isn’t an option?

It seems counter productive that your parents are looking after your kids while you go to look after someone else’s kids for a fee. Why not set up as a childminder at home yourself and have your kids at home and look after another??
Sorry - should have clarified, I do take my own kids with me some of the time and they love it (and used to a lot when I only had one as my partner worked in the same area as I did so he took him in and I picked him up from his work (family business he didn’t just take him to work with him 😂) after school runs etc) but it’s no longer that easy as we have moved further away and he has changed jobs, I have to leave the house at 5:45am so it’s not all that easy anymore. Also equally my parents love having the quality time with them so it’s no bother.

Is there any way you could get a different, part time, nannying job? So your parents would still be able to look after your kids and you wouldn’t spend your wages all on childcare as you would with full time? Have you looked in to what help you’d be entitled to in terms of childcare vouchers etc that may take the sting out of the fees of nursery?

I am a qualified teacher, but when I had my kids (7,4,2 and pregnant with No4) I knew I didn’t want to work full time. Childcare is my parents as well, even if I did work full time, but it just isn’t for me. So instead - for now - I work as a substitute teacher. It means I get the best of both worlds - being at home and also earning money at work. (Part time teaching jobs are too difficult to come in my area by so that wasn’t an option)

Is there anything else you would consider doing in the same childcare field that could be part time if nannying p/t isn’t an option?
The problem is with nannying jobs is that they quite often start off part time and you end up working every hour under the sun some weeks as they think they can take the piss - which is ok when you’re single and childless but definitely not for me. What I like about my current job is I know it’s just those set hours every week, I come, I go and that’s that. Reliable as clockwork!

I think I would consider something else for sure, although preferably I do want to move away from that in the long run. I just don’t have any actual qualifications for anything else childcare related and don’t want to spend time getting qualified when that’s not what I want to do long term if that makes sense?