thinking about going vegetarian 🥦

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been veggie for 30yrs, no fish, no meat, l'll eat egg occasionally as an ingredient eg in cake etc.

If in doubt if a product is veggie I just check the back of the pack, look for Suitable for Vegetarians (or vegans). If in doubt read the list of ingredients. I don't eat out much but there are always a couple of veggie options on a menu. I enjoy cooking and I can always make something eg a curry or pasta and sauce, try following a few recipes to get you started. There's also loads of ready meals and frozen food to try.

It's so easy these days to be vegetarian - good luck to you 👍!!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've been veggie for 30yrs, no fish, no meat, l'll eat egg occasionally as an ingredient eg in cake etc.

If in doubt if a product is veggie I just check the back of the pack, look for Suitable for Vegetarians (or vegans). If in doubt read the list of ingredients. I don't eat out much but there are always a couple of veggie options on a menu. I enjoy cooking and I can always make something eg a curry or pasta and sauce, try following a few recipes to get you started. There's also loads of ready meals and frozen food to try.

It's so easy these days to be vegetarian - good luck to you 👍!!
It really is! I remember as a fussy vegetarian child being pretty much limited to chips if eating out on holiday etc. Now there is so much delicious veggie and vegan food out there!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
It really is! I remember as a fussy vegetarian child being pretty much limited to chips if eating out on holiday etc. Now there is so much delicious veggie and vegan food out there!
I've just realised it is 40yrs I've been vegetarian, not 30yrs as I said in my post. That was a quick 10yrs 😆!!

It was bit niche to be vegetarian when I started, my family thought I'd lost the plot and my nana prayed for me! But my mum and siblings are also vegetarian now, so all good 🥗🥙🍎!

• Heart
Tangy cheese doritos aren't veggie, nor are cheesy cheetos.
tit. What?! 😩

I found it easier than I thought, it was a natural progression over a year maybe. Started with meat free Mondays, then meat only 4 times a week, then no red meat and then none at all. Husband is veggie in the house, but will eat fish/chicken when we go out if he fancies it.

Sweets can be hit and miss. Look out for gelatine and carmine (crushed up bugs).

But things can surprise you - like me just learning about Doritos after 3 years. Not that I eat them very often.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Just chiming in to agree with what others have said - if you find out after the fact that you've eaten something with a surprise animal ingredient it's okay. There's no veggie police that will come to lock you up!

I've been vegetarian for erm...uhh.... no idea but at least 10 years and in that time I moved from the US to Korea where fish broth / shrimp extract / you name it is in everything. 99% of the time I am confidently cooking at home or eating things I know are animal-product free but I also know that if I'm out for dinner and slip up with a mouthful of something cooked in stock it's not going to kill me. It's all about doing what you can and to not guilt yourself just for trying to get nutrients.

Best of luck in your journey!

• Heart
thank you guys! so far it's been easy, haven't really even thought about it. tomorrow i'm working from home so i'll batch cook some veggie meals for the week 😊

I’ve been vegan for a few years now and I’m still learning. Found out the other day Sharpies aren’t vegan 😐 not that you’d be eating those, but it just goes to show how insidious animal “by-products” are. I started off pescatarian then veggie and now vegan. IIRC Italian cheeses and foods cooked with chicken stock/seasoning were sneaky when I was pescatarian. Good luck!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
i had my first (i think) slip up today 😅 my bf got me breakfast and he got me a sausage roll and i just automatically ate it 🥹😂 i started feeling bad but then i thought of this thread and how many of you said not to 🥰🥰

• Heart
You'll notice something when you go vegetarian. Your mind and emotions will feel different. I was calmer all of a sudden after two weeks, my mind felt clearer. I think this has to do with not eating the animals fear too, I know it sounds silly to most people but it is a real thing. They say animals fear, sadness and misery are stored in their cells which you are then eating. Your absorbing their energy which then affects you.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
You'll notice something when you go vegetarian. Your mind and emotions will feel different. I was calmer all of a sudden after two weeks, my mind felt clearer. I think this has to do with not eating the animals fear too, I know it sounds silly to most people but it is a real thing. They say animals fear, sadness and misery are stored in their cells which you are then eating. Your absorbing their energy which then affects you.
I love this!!

• Heart