Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ThisishowIlivenow

VIP Member
What is it? I'm looking something to watch.
Sorry for not being able to answer.
It's a new bbc drama with Ruth Wilson about the magdalene laundries, it first aired Sunday night with the 2nd episode last night. Episode 3 is on this Sunday coming.
---
I'm enjoying it so far - The Magdalene laundries are definitely a story that need to be talked about more. Still waiting to see if the whole concept (the creepy gothic-esque setting etc.) quite works, but it's intriguing enough.
It definitely does need brought up and to the attention of people as I was really aghast that the last laundry didn't shut until 1996!! As one of the characters rightly said, that was when the macarena was out! We're not talking about the olden days we're literally talking about relatively modern history. Madness.
It's a very compelling storyline. I'm wondering where it's going to go.

Reactions: 11

Sea

VIP Member
Didn't want to watch this - plot =grim and scary for me.
Watched out of curiosity and was roped in.
So many twists I forecasted, and I was wrong šŸ˜†
Fantastic plot, fantastic acting.

Reactions: 8

ohdoris

VIP Member
Didn't want to watch this - plot =grim and scary for me.
Watched out of curiosity and was roped in.
So many twists I forecasted, and I was wrong šŸ˜†
Fantastic plot, fantastic acting.
I expected it to be far darker than it was, I think it was extremely well done.

LaBlonde

VIP Member
really enjoying it - as said above i was shocked when they said the last laundry closed in 1996! absolutely awful :(

on a completely separate note the actor playing the detective is šŸ„µšŸ”„šŸ„µ

• Haha

ohdoris

VIP Member
I tried watching the first episode but found it so weird and switched it off. Is it worth me continuing as Iā€™m seeing a lot of hype about it. (Iā€™ve jumped to the end of the thread incase I read spoilers and you all tell me itā€™s fabulous)

Excellent film on the Magdalene Laundries - The Magdalene Sisters. An absolute brutal institution. Sorry if itā€™s already been mentioned
I found the first episode hard to follow, I had to watch it back the next day with the subtitles on ! Stick with it, Ruth Wilson is fantastic.

Reactions: 6

Fanny Muchmore

VIP Member
I'm enjoying it so far - The Magdalene laundries are definitely a story that need to be talked about more. Still waiting to see if the whole concept (the creepy gothic-esque setting etc.) quite works, but it's intriguing enough.

Reactions: 5

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I tried watching the first episode but found it so weird and switched it off. Is it worth me continuing as Iā€™m seeing a lot of hype about it. (Iā€™ve jumped to the end of the thread incase I read spoilers and you all tell me itā€™s fabulous)

Excellent film on the Magdalene Laundries - The Magdalene Sisters. An absolute brutal institution. Sorry if itā€™s already been mentioned

BigMavis

VIP Member
Oh I'll love this thanks so much. Terrible places. One of the biggest shames of Ireland. I was taught by nuns, the outfit I met were capable of anything. Wicked.

• Sad
  • Heart

Shirley55

The actor who plays the lead detective is Daryl Mccormack. He was in the movie Good luck to you Leo Grande with Emma Thompson. He is a good actor. Simon Delaney is quite good as his side kick as well. I have seen a few movies about the Magdalane laundries but this is definitely a bit different. I am really enjoying it.

Reactions: 4

Definitely worth watching it ā™„

LaBlonde

VIP Member
He is very very pleasing to the eye! Wonder what his characters story is. I thought at first they were going down the predictable priests with young boys route but I don't know...
i wonder too! iā€™m wondering if he did something ā€œbadā€ as a kid and the priest helped him in some way - the flashbacks and such seem to indicate he was a bit of a tearaway and iā€™m sure he hinted as much when they were at the first crime scene.

iā€™m often lost in his eyes when heā€™s speaking though so might have misheard some stuff!

• Haha

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
The Magdelene sisters is a film made in 2002, about the laundries. It is a difficult watch, but from what I've read, real life was worse than depicted in the film.

Reactions: 3

ohdoris

VIP Member
Just to add that the hot detective is in Bad Sisters on Apple TV. Well worth a watch anyway, but even more so with him in it.

I hope this programme does the storyline justice. Although very harrowing, the film about the Laundries was fantastic.

ThisishowIlivenow

VIP Member
Oh I'll love this thanks so much. Terrible places. One of the biggest shames of Ireland. I was taught by nuns, the outfit I met were capable of anything. Wicked.
I hope you enjoy it āœØ
---
I've been watching it , although I missed the first 15 minutes.

I didn't notice that the man who the police questioned was him who played Father Dougal until I saw his name on the credits.
Playing a very straight role! Married a nun as well šŸ¤­
---
really enjoying it - as said above i was shocked when they said the last laundry closed in 1996! absolutely awful :(

on a completely separate note the actor playing the detective is šŸ„µšŸ”„šŸ„µ
He is very very pleasing to the eye! Wonder what his characters story is. I thought at first they were going down the predictable priests with young boys route but I don't know...