Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

pinksparkles91

Hope you feel better soo. I had it for a few months when I cam roff the depo, it's horrible but should get better xx

Reactions: 3

JessicaFletcher

Chatty Member
Thanks for your words of advice, because I am starting to panic a little. I’m 36 and worried I will miss my chance of being a mum. I really wouldn’t have ever gone on the injection if I knew what I did now. But I do feel better knowing I don’t need a proper cycle in order to get pregnant xx
It can take a long time for your body to restart because it's so strong. But I hadn't had a period since the June and fell pregnant in the September. So it's still possible to get pregnant without periods it's just makes it harder because you can't calculate ovulation

Reactions: 3

TheWitchIsBack

VIP Member
There is! Stick it out, your hormones will take a while to regulate.

It’s shit and feels like it’ll never end but I promise it will.

Reactions: 2

Mercedes12

VIP Member
I'm due to come off the depo in a couple weeks. I've been on it for maybe a year and I'm convinced it's the reason I've gained 2 stone, while my diet has been better than ever. This thread has me a bit worried but I'll update if I experience anything similar. Thinking of getting the coil now instead, anyone have any strong opinions on the coil?
don't have it personally but my GP explained that, as it's already at your womb, the amount of hormones in the hormonal coil (not copper) is significantly lower compared to the pill/injection/implant/patch as they need to go into your blood stream first then travel to your womb. I think she said about 1/100th of the amount of hormones.

Meaning you're a lot less likely to suffer side effects, if you did suffer any with other forms of contraception!

Upintheair83

VIP Member
Don’t be disheartened (easier said than done) by not having a period. I was off the Depo for 4 months without a hint of a period and ended up pregnant. As I said in a previous post, it ended up as an ectopic pregnancy, but it’s definitely possible to get pregnant without a proper cycle.
Thanks for your words of advice, because I am starting to panic a little. I’m 36 and worried I will miss my chance of being a mum. I really wouldn’t have ever gone on the injection if I knew what I did now. But I do feel better knowing I don’t need a proper cycle in order to get pregnant xx

I'm due to come off the depo in a couple weeks. I've been on it for maybe a year and I'm convinced it's the reason I've gained 2 stone, while my diet has been better than ever. This thread has me a bit worried but I'll update if I experience anything similar. Thinking of getting the coil now instead, anyone have any strong opinions on the coil?
I put on a lot of weight on the depo. My eating habits didn’t change so I’d say it’s definitely because of the injection.
Try not to stress about it, I read about a lot of women who didn’t have any side effects coming off it.
Mine have completely disappeared now too. However, I did manage to get pregnant 4 months after coming off it even though I’d read it usually takes a year or longer. My pregnancy didn’t last though as it was ectopic. So the only advice I’d give is still use some sort of contraception in between switching to the coil (if that’s what you decide to use). I’m going to go back on the pill as soon as I can!

GossBoss

VIP Member
I was on the Depo for way more years than I was supposed to be .... It did take a little while for my body to reset itself + become regular again. Can't remember whether I had any other symptoms or not but I'd try not to worry too much. Were you regular before ? I was always a spot on the day regular girl prior to contraception so I guess that might play a part. I'm now the wrong side of needing anything + am adding up the months I've NOT come on + hoping this is the start of the end of them 🤣

Reactions: 1

jewelkitty

Chatty Member

Upintheair83

VIP Member
I was on the depo 5 years I came of the beginning of the year switched to the pill for 3 weeks but then came of I then decided with my partner maybe it’s time for us to try for a baby! Unfortunately my periods haven’t came back not even a drop of blood! I get constant pains the same as period pains I crave foods (I’m not pregnant) but I’m just so sad that it hasn’t happened now Iv got in my head that it’s not meant to be.. Iv always worried about contraception & the effects it has on your body 😟
Let me know how you get on. I was on the injection for a lot longer than you and iv come off it too. It’s only been a few months but no sign of any periods. I’m getting the feeling my body is going through some changes but not even a drop of blood. I’m worried I ruined my chances of being a mum if I’m honest. I actually can’t believe the doctors allowed me to stay on it for so long. If I had known what iv been reading recently I would never have gone on it. Yet I never had any problems being on it but I regret it massively now.
who knows what will happen. Is it possible to still get pregnant thouh,without having a period since being off the injection? As I remember if I was more than a day over my due injection date the doctors said I couldn’t have it as there is achance you could be pregnant. So I’m abit confused if I’m honest. X

whoareyouu

VIP Member
What are you going to do? Change contraception after the 3 months?

I don’t know if it’s in my head why this happened, but since changing from depo to Sayana, I have gained 6 pounds. I don’t feel like I’m eating anymore than usual, but I’ve not been to the gym for a couple of weeks due to a knee injury. Feeling fed up and pissed off.
I think I may start trying to track my cycle naturally.

Oh I’ve never heard of Sayana.

It’s just awful isn’t it. It’s like there’s no method that is without side effect.

Let me know how you get on. I was on the injection for a lot longer than you and iv come off it too. It’s only been a few months but no sign of any periods. I’m getting the feeling my body is going through some changes but not even a drop of blood. I’m worried I ruined my chances of being a mum if I’m honest. I actually can’t believe the doctors allowed me to stay on it for so long. If I had known what iv been reading recently I would never have gone on it. Yet I never had any problems being on it but I regret it massively now.
who knows what will happen. Is it possible to still get pregnant thouh,without having a period since being off the injection? As I remember if I was more than a day over my due injection date the doctors said I couldn’t have it as there is achance you could be pregnant. So I’m abit confused if I’m honest. X
Don’t be disheartened (easier said than done) by not having a period. I was off the Depo for 4 months without a hint of a period and ended up pregnant. As I said in a previous post, it ended up as an ectopic pregnancy, but it’s definitely possible to get pregnant without a proper cycle.

Cloudninex

Chatty Member
I was on the depo 5 years I came of the beginning of the year switched to the pill for 3 weeks but then came of I then decided with my partner maybe it’s time for us to try for a baby! Unfortunately my periods haven’t came back not even a drop of blood! I get constant pains the same as period pains I crave foods (I’m not pregnant) but I’m just so sad that it hasn’t happened now Iv got in my head that it’s not meant to be.. Iv always worried about contraception & the effects it has on your body 😟

Mercedes12

VIP Member
I came off the injection and went back on the pill, chickened out of the coil as my friend said it was excruciating to get put in (although sounds like it's different for anyone). During my week off the pill I got all my usual period side effects like cramps but the period never came. I got a small bit on my first day back on the pill again after the week off, but that was it. Hoping it'll come back more properly in my next week off. A few people here have said they didn't get their period back after the injection. Could going on the pill help with this I wonder, like would it help to regulate your body?
The pill wouldn't help as the hormones in it prevent your natural cycle from occurring (your ovaries essentially stay dormant for as long as you take it). The 'period' you have on the pill is actually a withdrawl bleed and not a real period as no egg is released.

I would suggest someone speaking to their GP if their periods don't return after a few months. This happened to a friend of mine and it turns out she has PCOS and the pill had been disguising her symptoms for years.

Hi ladies 👋

I wanted to write this thread to see if anyone else has been, or is, in the same boat as me regarding the Depo injection.

I had 2 injections each 3 months apart. I was meant to have a third at the end of April but decided against it and let my body be free of synthetic hormones for a while.

Almost immediately after coming off the injection I started to have a lot of horrible symptoms which at first I didn’t think had anything to with the Depo.

I felt nauseous, dizzy, bloated. I had (sorry tmi) constipation and diarrhoea and some fatigue.

After coming off the injection my period lasted for the entire month of May and it hasn’t returned.

I have googled “withdrawal symptoms” and there are a lot of women who’ve experienced this, and worse but I’m hoping there’s someone on here I can talk to about it?!

I still feel like this nearly 3 months later and I’m hoping that someone else has been through this and can show me that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for reading!

YouDeserveWow

I had the depo but only for a few months because my periods were getting longer and longer. I was sold on it because the nurse said she hadn't had a woman who had a period on it yet mine were all roughly a month long! So I came off it after only 2 injections and went onto the implant which I wasnt really keen on but I haven't had a period yet and I'm not sure whether this is because of the implant or because of the depo?? What we have to go through is ridiculous 🙄

I was on the Depo for way more years than I was supposed to be .... It did take a little while for my body to reset itself + become regular again. Can't remember whether I had any other symptoms or not but I'd try not to worry too much. Were you regular before ? I was always a spot on the day regular girl prior to contraception so I guess that might play a part. I'm now the wrong side of needing anything + am adding up the months I've NOT come on + hoping this is the start of the end of them 🤣
Yeah I was like clockwork before, and although not having them is nice, I’d like them back so I know my hormones are back to normal.

Haha the shit we have to go through, eh!

bubbletea123

VIP Member
I am on depo and have been for YEARS cause of my endometriosis. I feel lucky as I have never had any bad side effects. I took a break from it a few years ago for a few months and got my period straight away and it was normal. Hope you feel better soon.

whoareyouu

VIP Member
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but has anyone else really struggled with anxiety since getting depo?

I had it two weeks ago and I’m a nervous wreck. I cannot stop worrying.

I’m sure this is why I stopped getting it done years ago! :(

I was on it for 5 years with no bleeding at all while on it and came off it and a year later my periods came back and were as regular as they were before I went on it (every 21 days)

Your side effects sound unusual to say you were on it for a short length of time. Did you just not bother going back for your next injection?
From what I’d read online, a lot of women had experienced worse than me after they had stopped having the injection.
I was due to have one at the end of April but decided I needed a break from contraception so I didn’t go, then all hell broke lose.

I was on it for 5 years with no bleeding at all while on it and came off it and a year later my periods came back and were as regular as they were before I went on it (every 21 days)

Your side effects sound unusual to say you were on it for a short length of time. Did you just not bother going back for your next injection?