The Depo Contraceptive Injection

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi ladies šŸ‘‹

I wanted to write this thread to see if anyone else has been, or is, in the same boat as me regarding the Depo injection.

I had 2 injections each 3 months apart. I was meant to have a third at the end of April but decided against it and let my body be free of synthetic hormones for a while.

Almost immediately after coming off the injection I started to have a lot of horrible symptoms which at first I didnā€™t think had anything to with the Depo.

I felt nauseous, dizzy, bloated. I had (sorry tmi) constipation and diarrhoea and some fatigue.

After coming off the injection my period lasted for the entire month of May and it hasnā€™t returned.

I have googled ā€œwithdrawal symptomsā€ and there are a lot of women whoā€™ve experienced this, and worse but Iā€™m hoping thereā€™s someone on here I can talk to about it?!

I still feel like this nearly 3 months later and Iā€™m hoping that someone else has been through this and can show me that thereā€™s a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: 1
There is! Stick it out, your hormones will take a while to regulate.

Itā€™s tit and feels like itā€™ll never end but I promise it will.

Reactions: 2
I was on the Depo for way more years than I was supposed to be .... It did take a little while for my body to reset itself + become regular again. Can't remember whether I had any other symptoms or not but I'd try not to worry too much. Were you regular before ? I was always a spot on the day regular girl prior to contraception so I guess that might play a part. I'm now the wrong side of needing anything + am adding up the months I've NOT come on + hoping this is the start of the end of them šŸ¤£

I was on the Depo for way more years than I was supposed to be .... It did take a little while for my body to reset itself + become regular again. Can't remember whether I had any other symptoms or not but I'd try not to worry too much. Were you regular before ? I was always a spot on the day regular girl prior to contraception so I guess that might play a part. I'm now the wrong side of needing anything + am adding up the months I've NOT come on + hoping this is the start of the end of them šŸ¤£
Yeah I was like clockwork before, and although not having them is nice, Iā€™d like them back so I know my hormones are back to normal.

Haha the tit we have to go through, eh!

Hi ladies šŸ‘‹

I wanted to write this thread to see if anyone else has been, or is, in the same boat as me regarding the Depo injection.

I had 2 injections each 3 months apart. I was meant to have a third at the end of April but decided against it and let my body be free of synthetic hormones for a while.

Almost immediately after coming off the injection I started to have a lot of horrible symptoms which at first I didnā€™t think had anything to with the Depo.

I felt nauseous, dizzy, bloated. I had (sorry tmi) constipation and diarrhoea and some fatigue.

After coming off the injection my period lasted for the entire month of May and it hasnā€™t returned.

I have googled ā€œwithdrawal symptomsā€ and there are a lot of women whoā€™ve experienced this, and worse but Iā€™m hoping thereā€™s someone on here I can talk to about it?!

I still feel like this nearly 3 months later and Iā€™m hoping that someone else has been through this and can show me that thereā€™s a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for reading!
I wish I had some good news to reply with but unfortunately Iā€™m in the same boat, having come off the depo injection back in November 2015 and still no sign of my periods returning itā€™s disheartening when I want to start trying for kids! Currently undergoing numerous doctors appointments and examinations to get to the bottom of it with no such luck, hopefully someone else will comment with similar symptoms and a positive outcome, thanks for sharing & Iā€™m sending positive energy your way! :)

I am on depo and have been for YEARS cause of my endometriosis. I feel lucky as I have never had any bad side effects. I took a break from it a few years ago for a few months and got my period straight away and it was normal. Hope you feel better soon.

Hope you feel better soo. I had it for a few months when I cam roff the depo, it's horrible but should get better xx

Reactions: 3
I had the depo but only for a few months because my periods were getting longer and longer. I was sold on it because the nurse said she hadn't had a woman who had a period on it yet mine were all roughly a month long! So I came off it after only 2 injections and went onto the implant which I wasnt really keen on but I haven't had a period yet and I'm not sure whether this is because of the implant or because of the depo?? What we have to go through is ridiculous šŸ™„

I'm due to come off the depo in a couple weeks. I've been on it for maybe a year and I'm convinced it's the reason I've gained 2 stone, while my diet has been better than ever. This thread has me a bit worried but I'll update if I experience anything similar. Thinking of getting the coil now instead, anyone have any strong opinions on the coil?

I'm due to come off the depo in a couple weeks. I've been on it for maybe a year and I'm convinced it's the reason I've gained 2 stone, while my diet has been better than ever. This thread has me a bit worried but I'll update if I experience anything similar. Thinking of getting the coil now instead, anyone have any strong opinions on the coil?
I put on a lot of weight on the depo. My eating habits didnā€™t change so Iā€™d say itā€™s definitely because of the injection.
Try not to stress about it, I read about a lot of women who didnā€™t have any side effects coming off it.
Mine have completely disappeared now too. However, I did manage to get pregnant 4 months after coming off it even though Iā€™d read it usually takes a year or longer. My pregnancy didnā€™t last though as it was ectopic. So the only advice Iā€™d give is still use some sort of contraception in between switching to the coil (if thatā€™s what you decide to use). Iā€™m going to go back on the pill as soon as I can!

I put on a lot of weight on the depo. My eating habits didnā€™t change so Iā€™d say itā€™s definitely because of the injection.
Try not to stress about it, I read about a lot of women who didnā€™t have any side effects coming off it.
Mine have completely disappeared now too. However, I did manage to get pregnant 4 months after coming off it even though Iā€™d read it usually takes a year or longer. My pregnancy didnā€™t last though as it was ectopic. So the only advice Iā€™d give is still use some sort of contraception in between switching to the coil (if thatā€™s what you decide to use). Iā€™m going to go back on the pill as soon as I can!
Thanks for your advice! I've been feeling a lot better since realising my weight gain is probably due to the depo, was beating myself up about it for a long time beforehand. I'm glad your symptoms cleared up and sorry to hear about your pregnancy, hope you're okay. Best of luck with going back on the pill! :) (I considered that but it gave me bad breakouts - oh the joys of being a woman :p)

I was on the depo 5 years I came of the beginning of the year switched to the pill for 3 weeks but then came of I then decided with my partner maybe itā€™s time for us to try for a baby! Unfortunately my periods havenā€™t came back not even a drop of blood! I get constant pains the same as period pains I crave foods (Iā€™m not pregnant) but Iā€™m just so sad that it hasnā€™t happened now Iv got in my head that itā€™s not meant to be.. Iv always worried about contraception & the effects it has on your body šŸ˜Ÿ

I think the Depo has a lot to answer for and itā€™s effects arenā€™t widely known. When I went to the GP to have the injection I wasnā€™t offered any information regarding what could happen when I came off it, or even pointed in a general direction in order to find the information myself.

There is some information out there, but in terms of what I went through it took a lot of time scrolling through google before I came across hundreds of women who went through similar, and sometimes worse.

As I said in a previous post, based on the info available, I believed that it could take a year or more to get pregnant again, yet within 4 months I was pregnant, albeit with an ectopic pregnancy, despite no periods and therefore no way of tracking potential ovulation.

Iā€™d definitely advocate for any woman considering this method of contraception to spend a serious amount of time googling/researching every aspect of it. And anyone concerned about fertility to see their GP because there really isnā€™t much medical literature on the Depo and the misery it can cause so the more often GPā€™s hear of these things the more likely there will be more research into it.

Wishing you a lot of luck, and loads of hugs ā¤

I was on it for 5 years with no bleeding at all while on it and came off it and a year later my periods came back and were as regular as they were before I went on it (every 21 days)

Your side effects sound unusual to say you were on it for a short length of time. Did you just not bother going back for your next injection?

I was on it for 5 years with no bleeding at all while on it and came off it and a year later my periods came back and were as regular as they were before I went on it (every 21 days)

Your side effects sound unusual to say you were on it for a short length of time. Did you just not bother going back for your next injection?
From what Iā€™d read online, a lot of women had experienced worse than me after they had stopped having the injection.
I was due to have one at the end of April but decided I needed a break from contraception so I didnā€™t go, then all hell broke lose.

don't have it personally but my GP explained that, as it's already at your womb, the amount of hormones in the hormonal coil (not copper) is significantly lower compared to the pill/injection/implant/patch as they need to go into your blood stream first then travel to your womb. I think she said about 1/100th of the amount of hormones.

Meaning you're a lot less likely to suffer side effects, if you did suffer any with other forms of contraception!

I was on the depo 5 years I came of the beginning of the year switched to the pill for 3 weeks but then came of I then decided with my partner maybe itā€™s time for us to try for a baby! Unfortunately my periods havenā€™t came back not even a drop of blood! I get constant pains the same as period pains I crave foods (Iā€™m not pregnant) but Iā€™m just so sad that it hasnā€™t happened now Iv got in my head that itā€™s not meant to be.. Iv always worried about contraception & the effects it has on your body šŸ˜Ÿ
Let me know how you get on. I was on the injection for a lot longer than you and iv come off it too. Itā€™s only been a few months but no sign of any periods. Iā€™m getting the feeling my body is going through some changes but not even a drop of blood. Iā€™m worried I ruined my chances of being a mum if Iā€™m honest. I actually canā€™t believe the doctors allowed me to stay on it for so long. If I had known what iv been reading recently I would never have gone on it. Yet I never had any problems being on it but I regret it massively now.
who knows what will happen. Is it possible to still get pregnant thouh,without having a period since being off the injection? As I remember if I was more than a day over my due injection date the doctors said I couldnā€™t have it as there is achance you could be pregnant. So Iā€™m abit confused if Iā€™m honest. X

I came off the injection and went back on the pill, chickened out of the coil as my friend said it was excruciating to get put in (although sounds like it's different for anyone). During my week off the pill I got all my usual period side effects like cramps but the period never came. I got a small bit on my first day back on the pill again after the week off, but that was it. Hoping it'll come back more properly in my next week off. A few people here have said they didn't get their period back after the injection. Could going on the pill help with this I wonder, like would it help to regulate your body?

Let me know how you get on. I was on the injection for a lot longer than you and iv come off it too. Itā€™s only been a few months but no sign of any periods. Iā€™m getting the feeling my body is going through some changes but not even a drop of blood. Iā€™m worried I ruined my chances of being a mum if Iā€™m honest. I actually canā€™t believe the doctors allowed me to stay on it for so long. If I had known what iv been reading recently I would never have gone on it. Yet I never had any problems being on it but I regret it massively now.
who knows what will happen. Is it possible to still get pregnant thouh,without having a period since being off the injection? As I remember if I was more than a day over my due injection date the doctors said I couldnā€™t have it as there is achance you could be pregnant. So Iā€™m abit confused if Iā€™m honest. X
Donā€™t be disheartened (easier said than done) by not having a period. I was off the Depo for 4 months without a hint of a period and ended up pregnant. As I said in a previous post, it ended up as an ectopic pregnancy, but itā€™s definitely possible to get pregnant without a proper cycle.

I came off the injection and went back on the pill, chickened out of the coil as my friend said it was excruciating to get put in (although sounds like it's different for anyone). During my week off the pill I got all my usual period side effects like cramps but the period never came. I got a small bit on my first day back on the pill again after the week off, but that was it. Hoping it'll come back more properly in my next week off. A few people here have said they didn't get their period back after the injection. Could going on the pill help with this I wonder, like would it help to regulate your body?
The pill wouldn't help as the hormones in it prevent your natural cycle from occurring (your ovaries essentially stay dormant for as long as you take it). The 'period' you have on the pill is actually a withdrawl bleed and not a real period as no egg is released.

I would suggest someone speaking to their GP if their periods don't return after a few months. This happened to a friend of mine and it turns out she has PCOS and the pill had been disguising her symptoms for years.