Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Helen's really annoying me now. Again 😂
First telling Kirsty something Natasha told her - presumably in confidence, that she thought Tom didn't love her any more.
Then when she and Kirsty were watching a film Kirsty sadly said last time she saw it was with Philip. Helen ignores her and bangs on about Rob again.
She really is dreadful.

• Haha
Reactions: 8

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
It’s such an unrealistic storyline, I’m really struggling to get onboard with it. Same with Hilda the demon cat that no one would take on and I can’t believe that even someone as hideous as Peggy would force her on someone else!
Thing that's annoying me with the Hilda storyline - as a cat lover - is that Hilda sounds like a completely normal, if a slightly grumpy and particular, regular cat! Cats often take a liking to one person over another. They are basically tiny furry toddlers who will do anything to get a treat and have absolutely no boundaries or rules. As for having an entire bloody episode about trying to find her when she'd gone missing only to find her curled up under the table, that is a normal cat thing to do. They love to please themselves and have no time for human indignation.

It's all very pro-dog isn't it :D

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Helen is a horrible character. I mean a good one but thoroughly unlikeable. It was a stroke of genius to have such a horrible individual the subject of coercive control as it make her a sympathetic character which seemed almost impossible tbh. I think it is possible to thoroughly dislike her and still have felt sorry for her. She didn't deserve what happened, but she is still bloody awful. I don't think saying she is a foul individual is victim blaming.

(Btw I'm in an Archers FB group and am always on the point of leaving as one moderator in particular is ghastly - ruling the roost and being appallingly rude to anyone who disagrees with her. Archers Anonymous).

NomDeGuerre

VIP Member
Any other listeners on here?

I dip in and out but am properly invested at the moment - Alice’s alcoholism storyline is completely gripping, although I could do without the emerging Neil / Shula love triangle.

Ensay

VIP Member
As I tend to listen to the omnibus, I've just caught up. Does Helen ever stop being annoying? It's probably to do with how it's been written, but I fail to see what's so bad about Lee? He seems like a decent guy, yet she's acting like he's awful. That said, I think it's more about her reaction to Rob being back than Lee himself.

I sound innocent, but I couldn't work out what was meant to have been graffitied on Alan's door. Was it towards Alan for agreeing to arrange Rob's baptism, or was it about Rob himself? Maybe it was just the c-word and who it was directed towards was left open to interpretation!

The longer Adil's away the more it seems like he's not coming back. Even if he does, I assume it'll come out about him lying about a family illness being the reason for doing a runner. Does anyone in Ambridge know his sister is the locum doctor? I can't remember if only listeners are privy to that.

Finally, I thought it was realistic that Ian was reluctant to hold Adam's hand in public, whereas Pip and Stella are more open. Generally society is more accepting of affection between two women - and that's either between couples or friends. Let's face it, if two men hold hands it gets more negative reaction than two women. There's also a generational aspect to it as well, given Adam and Ian are older.

Darvos

Isn't he dreadful? They really are building him up to be an incel. He just hates women. No idea why Brad is friends with him.
When the incel stuff started developing last year I felt so unsettled, proper rattled, I ended up looking the actor up and realising I know someone who was at university with him. Good news is the actor himself is a really decent person. No idea why this made me feel better but it did. Emma jumping in to support her son’s nonsense really gets on my tits. She needs to give her head a wobble. (I’m an omnibus listener and have no idea whether Emma has indeed this week given her head a wobble.)

Reactions: 7

Love_hate_small_town

Chatty Member
Urgh I found yesterdays episode so annoying. Brad and Ben and ‘let me have a look at that hand’. And the sodding stained glass window. Give me strength 😅

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Someone please fucking strangle George.
The whiny brat that thinks he’s the big I am 🙄
How pathetic is he really?
Isn't he dreadful? They really are building him up to be an incel. He just hates women. No idea why Brad is friends with him.

Sea

VIP Member
If only I could do bullet points 😄
Helen never stops being annoying (or superior).
I'd say it's part Rob stress reaction and part she's just fed up of Lee and everything giver her the icky.

It was definitely the C word (that's how I took the disgusted reactions in the storyline) "Rob Titchner is a ...."

Adil's sister hasn't been mentioned again, but reckon she'll be a stayer otherwise pointless introducing the audience to her.
His regular character is dull (even him being widowed or deceased gf)

Ian's hand holding in public has been the most realistic story recently, and really resonated with me. Also i think all listeners could really feel and understand the reasons for his fear/apprehension.

Sea

VIP Member
Oh FFS Stella & Pip camping - they're going to kiss under the LED camp light bulb, hanging over their heads, romantically glaring white like a halo over their sapphic snog.

• Haha

Shinealight

VIP Member
I think there are some great storylines ATM. It’s been a long time coming though. I feel like they are rounding out Rob and that it’s a good thing. They did a great job back in the day of showing how rob’s behaviour crept up in Helen. She was in too deep and totally controlled by the time his behaviour became overt but the the listeners he was a baddie from early on. It’s never that simple with villains and DV. I’m glad they are fleshing out his demise.

Also excited that Denise (“AlisDAIR”) is back so that they can start getting it on. Pip, Stella. Ruth and now Hannah quad is great too. Pip’s misdirected fury at Ruth was a great bit of writing. My only request is that they bin off the grundies for Christmas along with the play / inevitable reading of the inactive but not forgotten Lark Rise to Candleford (I fear I have awakened it from by saying it’s name… Ambridge residents are waking up as I type and grasping around for their copy). Does anyone actually like the Christmas play storylines?
I hate the Christmas play storylines, especially the bullying from Lynda Snell.
No way would so many villagers in RL ever be taken in by someone like her.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Sad news - the actor who plays Roy Tucker has died after a long illness. Only 53.
I wondered why we hadn't heard from him recently, especially with Ardil doing a runner.

• Sad
  • Heart

Love_hate_small_town

Chatty Member
I think there are some great storylines ATM. It’s been a long time coming though. I feel like they are rounding out Rob and that it’s a good thing. They did a great job back in the day of showing how rob’s behaviour crept up in Helen. She was in too deep and totally controlled by the time his behaviour became overt but the the listeners he was a baddie from early on. It’s never that simple with villains and DV. I’m glad they are fleshing out his demise.

Also excited that Denise (“AlisDAIR”) is back so that they can start getting it on. Pip, Stella. Ruth and now Hannah quad is great too. Pip’s misdirected fury at Ruth was a great bit of writing. My only request is that they bin off the grundies for Christmas along with the play / inevitable reading of the inactive but not forgotten Lark Rise to Candleford (I fear I have awakened it from by saying it’s name… Ambridge residents are waking up as I type and grasping around for their copy). Does anyone actually like the Christmas play storylines?

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I didn't realise Helen and Lee had been together for 4 and a half years 😲
Doesn't seem that long at all.
Yes the poor boys - they obviously really love him. I think Henry will resent her quite a lot for it.

I think a very telling comment by her was when she told Kirsty about collecting him from the airport - he was 'chomping on all his sweets'. Yes the ick, but also to do with her eating disorder. His eating stuff around her and questioning her parenting at times means a lack of control for her which she can't handle at the moment.

asumgal

I wonder what they will do with Roy?
I think they'll probably have him not happy in the new Grey Gables setup and off to a new job in Brum near his dad.
My name pet peeve about poor vocal casting was exemplified last night. Spent minutes wondering who the two women chatting were, then rest of the episode not sure whether it was Hannah or Stella speaking. Thought at one stage it was Stella who fancied Chris. That would be a juicy twist.

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Ah sad news. The actor who plays the marvellous Robert Snell has died :cry:
He was a GP as well as being Robert in real life.
I would say he is irreplaceable so wonder what will happen?

• Sad
Reactions: 6

over thinker

Just had a thought is Ben in hospital after his MH crisis and he has created this nursing home in his mind it is Vince Casey. Ben has control of all the meds’ Vince totally believes he is somebody else and as Ben psychosis takes him further down the rabbit hole the rooms start to fill up Brian’s got a room Rob Titchener has been there for some time. Beth Casey keeps trying to break her dad out.
Joy Horville and Chelsea Horrobin arrive from time to time and Ben nearly leaves with them but Chelsea thinks she hears her mums voice but it turns out to be a very young Kate Aldridge!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6