Tell us your stingiest stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love stories about absolute scabs. I'll start with this one.

When I was in my mid 20's, I was going out with the stingiest fucker going. He worked full time and lived rent free in an apartment that his Dad owned yet he was always a total scab.

He had a very young little brother and it was coming up to his birthday. I knew I wouldn't get to the shops to get him something myself so I told Himself to include me in what he bought and I'd give him half the money.

He bought a (scabby) gift and when I asked him what I owed towards it, he told me an amount and I gave it to him. A few days later he left a pile of stuff from his pockets on the mantlepiece. As I cleared it away, I saw the receipt for the gift and saw that he had made me hand over the FULL amount, instead of half, meaning he paid absolutely nothing towards it himself! I lost a massive amount of respect for him that day.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
My ex (who earned WAY more than me) would never want to pay for anything.

We would go out for drinks and he would just stand at the bar and hover his hand over his back pocket for so long until I would have to pull my purse out and pay as the server stood there awkwardly. I’m all for paying my own way but it was every time.

He would pick ridiculously expensive restaurants to eat at. Order three course, beers/cocktails, bottles of wine and then just sit there at the end and completely ignore the bill until I would have to be the one to pull my card out.

We couldn’t just go to a regular cinema.. It had to be the independent one with the fancy bar that would end up costing me £25/£30 just for a couple of drinks and the posh chocolate he would insist on having.

I was a young single mum working a low paid job at the time and he had a lot more disposable income than me. I would never stand for this now.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Years ago Pizzaland used to have a pizza for a penny voucher. My ex was out with a group of friends and rather than use it to reduce the bill for everyone which, I’m also pretty sure it was only valid if you bought another pizza, he produced the voucher and only paid the 1p on top of any drinks. Fortunately only found out about this after we split up 😂

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I went on a date with a ridiculously rich man - think £10 million country house complete with many staff, drove an Aston Martin, and Range Rover, clothes all high-end designer, including Christian Louboutin shoes and a £100K watch. On our first date, we went for fish and chips, and he paused for so long when it was time to pay I had to. Perhaps that's why he is so rich. I didn't see him again (stingy git, he could have gone halves) but stalked his Instagram, LinkedIn and Facebook to gauge his level of wealth and it did seem real. He was CEO of a Private Bank.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Vile person that sadly I’m related to would insist on only eating out at comparatively less expensive places like Toby Carvery. Despite the fact then that in the scheme of things the bill for the food was quite low, he would refuse to buy a drink and would smuggle cans of Coke in with him, ask for a glass of tap water, chug it back and then pour the can into the glass when he thought nobody was looking!
He’d even do this when the restaurant we went to had refillable/bottomless soft drinks offers anyway.

However, the stinginess didn’t stop there. He came back off holiday one year proudly boasting how much money he’d saved smuggling in a tupperware with salad inside to the restaurants he went to every night as well as cans of Coke!😒

Said person also once gave keyrings he’d had made up with his business mobile number on as a Christmas present. Wrapped them up though!

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
I once caught my brother out being a stinge with my birthday present. He's loaded, has a very big, well paid job and was still living at home at the time. We'd all usually spend €50 on each other's presents and one year he gave me a DVD box set of a tv show he knew I had watched.

I wasn't interested in rewatching it, so I brought it straight in to HMV to ask if I could swap it for something else, saying I had just gotten it as a birthday gift from my brother. The guy serving me looked really awkward for a minute and then told me that I wouldn't get to swap it for much because the had been selling it off over the last few weeks at €5. I never said it to my brother that I had rumbled him but I was seriously pissed off.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I went out with a guy who earned double what I did and he would always 'go toilet' just after we had asked for the bill in restaurants. I always ended up paying as it was embarrassing with the waiter there with the card machine ! And he once asked for petrol money as he gave me a lift to my friends baby shower once...gah I want to slap my younger self !

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
Omg I can't believe you ladies gave in and paid for these tightarses. You should've given them a Paddington hard stare until they got their wallet out

My stingiest story is my boss, he will do stuff like print things out on the printer on scrap paper and reduce the size so it's barely readable just so he can get more on one page. I'm pretty sure he's a millionaire and has absolutely no need to do these things.

Reactions: 6
I was with someone for 5 years, he was my first real boyfriend. For my birthday, I receieved a selection of some of the oldest, most scratched vinyl 45 singles I have ever seen. I kid you not. On another birthday, I received a signet ring, with a threepenny bit (old English coin before decimalisation). I am allergic to certain types of mental jewellery, this ring was no exception! It was basically some cheap metal painted gold!
Luckily fate stepped in, and we parted.

Reactions: 1
Only thing that can come to mind atm for me is recently we had some training at work. The trainer was late and brought a box of celebrations to apologise. Nice gesture but they were out of date by over a year 😷 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Only thing that can come to mind atm for me is recently we had some training at work. The trainer was late and brought a box of celebrations to apologise. Nice gesture but they were out of date by over a year 😷 😅
Someone gave me an out of date box of chocolates at Christmas but I knew they bought them from the local shop on their way over so not entirely their fault 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I knew a lad who was so bleeping cheap, he had two televisions on top on each other - one had no sound, one had no picture. You couldn't make it up.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I knew a lad who was so bleeping cheap, he had two televisions on top on each other - one had no sound, one had no picture. You couldn't make it up.
I worked with a guy who did the exact same thing! Wonder if it was the same guy? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
When my child grew out of their infant car seat , my father in law said we might as well get a 2nd seat in the next size as there's no point in spending lots on one!

My in laws are stingy bastards . Everything they buy is proper cheap rubbish and we never use it so it's a false economy.

When I worked in retail , people used to ask for discounts for the most stupid reasons and it was usually the people who want to project the impression they are rich .

The scruffy, rough looking people were never stingy

Reactions: 1
My ex's Dad was a total miser. He's a millionaire with a huge car dealership and multiple properties both at home and abroad. One Christmas I went over on St. Stephen's Day for dinner. There were a couple of aunts invited too so they split the group in to two tables. We sat with my boyfriend's siblings (we were in our 20's and the siblings were younger). All the adults at the other table ate like kings, a beautiful meal. Our table was served spaghetti with ketchup. I couldn't believe it and it was all I could do not to barf. It was vile and so insulting that they thought the younger members of the family deserved no better.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Think its obvious from these posts that these people are rich because they are mean and ponce off others who have less money, thoroughly unpleasant people.

Watched a TV programme a few years ago about wealthy people swopping lives with poor people for a week or so. This rich man living in a mansion with swimming pool, all sorts of swanky gadgets and had made loads of money from selling cars, he went to stay in a tiny council flat. Somehow he found out that the 4 kids only had one laptop between them to do schoolwork and I thought he would fork out a few hundred on new ones but no he found some really old ones and had them done up on the cheap!! Okay I suppose the kids were better off but with his wealth he could have easily afforded new ones which would probably last longer and worked better.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7