Starting a home baking business

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi soo,
I'm thinking about starting a home baking business but I'd like to hear if anyone has any words of advice please?

I've looked at the government web page and it says to register as a food business with the local authority and that I will be subject to a visit from EHO.

This is the bit I need advice with because Google is a minefield.
1) we have a family pet - will I need to ban them from the kitchen? Anyone with a home baking business out there and a pet? How do you manage this?
2) do I need to start recording my fridge temp daily and keeping a log?
3) do I need 2 sinks?!
4)do I need 2 fridges?
5) do I need to go and buy containers for all my ingredients and seperate utensils/bowls/chopping boards

I've emailed the council to ask them if anyone can help and tell me the specifics of what they are looking for.
I know they can vary area to area but I'd love to hear from anyone who is already doing this and what I can expect.
Thank you! ☺

They are all I see on Instagram at the moment. Do you follow their accounts? isabakes is quite small at the moment and bakes from her parents kitchen.

Reactions: 1
Are there many in your local area? I don’t want to be negative but years ago my friend gave up her job to set up the same type of business , but the market was so saturated it wasn’t sustainable for her.

She had to get a food safety certificate, and was able to bake from her own kitchen using her normal ingredients and equipment.

Most of them are selling for postal orders during lockdown so you really need to promote yourself more than anything.
Are there many in your local area? I don’t want to be negative but years ago my friend gave up her job to set up the same type of business , but the market was so saturated it wasn’t sustainable for her.

She had to get a food safety certificate, and was able to bake from her own kitchen using her normal ingredients and equipment.

Reactions: 2
I know someone who does and all they have is their certificate and some insurance. No double sinks or separate equipment

Hi,

I don't think there's many nearby. I'm hoping I've got a bit of a niche...

It wouldn't need to be a main source of income or anything hence I don't want to spend out loads on extra equipment, a kitchen refit etc 🤣

I used to work as an EHO in a food safety team, by all means send me a message and I'm happy to help!

Too long to write here probably!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi,

It wouldn't need to be a main source of income or anything hence I don't want to spend out loads on extra equipment, a kitchen refit etc 🤣
My eldest has a friend of 17 who runs a business baking from the kitchen of her family's flat. It's a niche because she caters for the tastes/traditions of the country she's originally from and they are a close knit community locally but we regularly order as do more and more "outsiders" because her food is just so good and her business has absolutely boomed under lockdown.

Hi,

Would probably work really well then 😊best of luck!!

I used to work as an EHO in a food safety team, by all means send me a message and I'm happy to help!

Too long to write here probably!
Not ignoring your very kind offer, unfortunately I don't think I've got the tattle credentials to be able to send a message yet!

Not ignoring your very kind offer, unfortunately I don't think I've got the tattle credentials to be able to send a message yet!
Not a problem, i don't think I have either. I will post here!

So as you mentioned you need to register with your new business. Be mindful that once you've registered and put your 'opening date' you can be subject to inspection make sure you've everything you need. The local authority will contact you to arrange the inspection.

1) Family pet. Don't worry too much about the pet. It is understood that it is a family home just explain you keep them out of the kitchen when baking. Some people do buy baby gates etc.

2) In terms of documenting fridge temperatures you need to download a food safety management system. There is one called safer food better business and it is free to download. (Food.gov.uk) You must ensure that you compete this ready for inspection and keep it upto date. Not having this completed and upto date can affect your hygiene rating. I would suggest you monitor fridge temps before you purchase your stock to ensure the fridge is working appropriately and for the days you've have stored stock. This will of course vary.

3) unless you are handling raw meat you aren't expected to have 2 sinks but a sink and a dishwasher is a plus! But not essential when only doing baking.

4) you don't need two fridges either. I always suggested to dedicate and label a shelf in the fridge for your ingredients. This can also stop cross contamination of allergens.

5) you don't need separate bowls or equipment unless you are intending on doing allergen free products (that's a whole different ball game). I would suggest you dedicated a cupboard to your baking ingredients and utensils just to show the officer you're managing things well.

6) this is a really important one but make sure you've had a think about products you want to sell and considered allergens in the products you wish to make. Therefore you can provide the customer with allergy information. The allergy matrix is available online at food.gov.uk

7) if you're planning on wrapping the products ensure they apply with labelling regulations for allergens etc.

I really hope this helps! Any questions just ask! :) It's not difficult to get set up at all and once you're up and running its just about maintaining it all. Also this goes without saying makes sure the kitchen is clean haha!

Last edited:
Not a problem, i don't think I have either. I will post here!

So as you mentioned you need to register with your new business. Be mindful that once you've registered and put your 'opening date' you can be subject to inspection make sure you've everything you need. The local authority will contact you to arrange the inspection.

1) Family pet. Don't worry too much about the pet. It is understood that it is a family home just explain you keep them out of the kitchen when baking. Some people do buy baby gates etc.

2) In terms of documenting fridge temperatures you need to download a food safety management system. There is one called safer food better business and it is free to download. (Food.gov.uk) You must ensure that you compete this ready for inspection and keep it upto date. Not having this completed and upto date can affect your hygiene rating. I would suggest you monitor fridge temps before you purchase your stock to ensure the fridge is working appropriately and for the days you've have stored stock. This will of course vary.

3) unless you are handling raw meat you aren't expected to have 2 sinks but a sink and a dishwasher is a plus! But not essential when only doing baking.

4) you don't need two fridges either. I always suggested to dedicate and label a shelf in the fridge for your ingredients. This can also stop cross contamination of allergens.

5) you don't need separate bowls or equipment unless you are intending on doing allergen free products (that's a whole different ball game). I would suggest you dedicated a cupboard to your baking ingredients and utensils just to show the officer you're managing things well.

6) this is a really important one but make sure you've had a think about products you want to sell and considered allergens in the products you wish to make. Therefore you can provide the customer with allergy information. The allergy matrix is available online at food.gov.uk

7) if you're planning on wrapping the products ensure they apply with labelling regulations for allergens etc.

I really hope this helps! Any questions just ask! :) It's not difficult to get set up at all and once you're up and running its just about maintaining it all. Also this goes without saying makes sure the kitchen is clean haha!
Thanks so much! You've made it seem much less daunting, I'd basically written it off as a no go before I'd even started.
I'm going to get cracking on the safer food better business and make sure I'm on board with it all before I register.
Thanks so much for all your help ☺

Totally forgot to mention aswell you'll need your level 2 food hygiene training. You can do it online!

Its not a problem, happy to help! I do think to anyone who is thinking of starting a business the food hygiene side of things is daunting and overwhelming but the majority of the time its really straightforward its the case of knowing what you need and with local authorities stretched so much you don't always get the advice you're looking for.

Good luck!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 2