Split the bill or pay for your own order?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’d rather have my friends with me for a meal and split the meal then not have them there at all, I read through this thread and wonder how many of our friends feel the same as most people on here as we NEVER split the bill, I’m not paying for someone else’s food, we can’t afford it!

In our house every penny counts, if our friends would rather us not attend their meal because we won’t split the bill then I don’t consider them to be very good friends! X

Reactions: 10
This is tricky! I have a smaller appetite and don’t really drink, so to be honest I prefer to just pay for what I’ve eaten. I hate being that person though so if the group decides to split I’d probably keep my mouth shut and pay it. So very British of me! Sometimes friends will notice I haven’t had as much and will suggest I just pay for what I’ve had - that’s always a relief!

I generally am a mix of both, depending on what I have eaten. So I went out for dinner the other night and I had eaten less but the split o my added £5 to my bill and so I just counted it as tip.

However, the other day I also went out for breakfast where mine cost £6 and nearly everyone else’s cost £15 and they said about splitting it. In that situation I have no qualms about saying no, i’m paying for what I ordered as splitting it was double my bill.

Reactions: 6
I don’t tip when I go out to eat I must be a bad person. It’s their job and their paid to do it I expect it to be a good service regardless.

We had a situation back when I was early twenties where i was out for a meal with my girlfriends. We split the bill and one of my friends, her card declined bless her. She got really upset, crying in this restaurant because she was so embarrassed, and confessed that she was really skint and having a hard time, but she was too proud to ask to just pay for her own. I wondered why she only had a starter as a main - that must have been why. After that she hardly came out with us again and I felt so sorry for her. So sometimes it isn’t that people are tight, they are just having a hard time with money.

Reactions: 12
I’m fine with splitting it unless someone’s order is significantly greater for eg they’ve had a few glasses of alcohol, just as if my order was significantly more I’d 100% cover my own costs than split.

Reactions: 2
I always remember going out for a big family meal, I sat by my cousin and his girlfriend. They'd just bought their first house and were very skint. Everyone ordered and I saw them discussing the cheapest item, think they had a ploughmans lunch and a squash each.

At bill paying time, my dad just shouted 'everyone ok if we split it in couples?'. The panic on their faces bless them!! I spoke up and said i didn't think that was fair and paid our way - I explained why after.

Ever since then I've always been mindful and check everyone's ok whichever way we do it

Reactions: 11
There’s a passage in the journalist Dolly Alderton’s memoir of her 20s where she remembers being at a friends birthday meal when she was extremely broke. She drank water and had a starter only but didn’t want to speak up when they decided to split it because she was so stressed about being broke anyway or something like that. Anyway she describes how one of her friends clocked her look and didn’t say anything but paid her share while she was in the loo, she says she’s never forgotten that kindness. I found that quite inspiring to read. So while I may argue for splitting the bill in general, I am aware these kind of situations arise.
there’s a definite difference between actually not having the money and just not wanting to pay any more than you think you owe.

My friends and I all pay for what we order and leave a collective tip. It works for us and none of us have to feel guilty about ordering something expensive.

My friends and I all pay for what we order and leave a collective tip. It works for us and none of us have to feel guilty about ordering something expensive.
I think that sounds a really fair way of doing it

Reactions: 3
If we go out with family, we usually pay the whole bill. If we go out with friends, we pay for what we had.

always split the bill as there’s usually a big group of us, if there’s a smaller group and someone isn’t drinking we would adjust accordingly. Most of my friends drink a lot so it’s never really been an issue (annoying when pregnant but I’ve made up for it at other times!)

Reactions: 1
Tipping I find a bit weird in the UK. Everyone is paid minimum wage so there's no need. It's not like the states where a server is a profession and people are paid way less as people would rather have the control to tip. There you need to tip and we've unnecessarily imported the custom over here.

Most of the service in the UK is awful and they automatically add service then are annoyed when you don't pay it. If service is good I'll tip, but I've no guilt over giving nothing if it was shit.

I’d rather tip nurses who are in an underpaid profession. It’s ridiculous to tip someone over here for bringing you a pizza and asking if your enjoying your meal only when your mouth is full.

I went out for dinner yesterday with a friend, she ordered a more expensive drink but I ordered a side, so was 6 of one half a dozen of the other, not point bickering over a few pennies so just split it. But I don't like to drink unless getting drunk (don't enjoy a glass of wine etc.) so if I'm with a group and they're all getting alcohol and I'm not I'll usually just put in my contribution and then they all split it between them

Really depends who I'm with, if we go out with another couple for a curry for instance we all tend to have the same so would obviously just split it, when we go out in a big group or a group where everyone doesn't know each other then id say put in what we've had a few quid for a tip. We normally do that as a family too, as some of my family are big drinkers and others aren't, so its fair and with family nobody is going to leave you short.
Its horrible being in a position though where you go out with some girlfriends who are better off than you and they order wine for the table and shots etc and say lets just split it!! Don't want to be a killjoy so just swallow it...then cry when I get home to hubby! hahaha
I also have friends who are really tight, as in don't even want to pay for what they've had, will order the most expensive things and then laugh when the split bill averages to less than what they've had! really winds me up!!!

Reactions: 5
I also have friends who are really tight, as in don't even want to pay for what they've had, will order the most expensive things and then laugh when the split bill averages to less than what they've had! really winds me up!!!
Yeah wtf ? I feel like that’s not even tight it’s kind of like open theft.... of your friends....
Deliberately ordering something expensive because you know it’ll be subsidised by the bill split is a just a bit weird ... and gross... and kind of takes the joy out of the whole point of sharing the meal and bill as a group, right ?

I’d rather tip nurses who are in an underpaid profession. It’s ridiculous to tip someone over here for bringing you a pizza and asking if your enjoying your meal only when your mouth is full.
I fully agree, I worked in care for minimum wage and obviously no tips for too long to leave tips for people who are legally getting the minimum wage now. Much rather give that money to charity or help out friends.

As to splitting, depends who I’m with and I usually just go with the flow, unless the person suggesting it is the person who’s had 3 drinks while the rest of us had tap water, in which case imma be petty

I've always paid separately with friends. Split the bill once but we'd ordered a pizza.

I’ve worked in the hospitality industry and it used to make me cringe when you’d see a group of people sitting at the end of the meal with a calculator out trying to work out exactly what each person at the table owed to the exact penny and then all trying to put down the exact amount of cash on the table to cover their own amount and then someone getting the arsehole because they only had 1 glass of wine from the bottle but someone else had the rest etc etc etc

if I choose to go out for a meal with friends then I just accept that we will spilt the bill equally (or, usually we take it in turns to pay for the meal outright)