Should I tell my boss I’m having a bad mental health period?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Over the past 8 years, I’ve had periods of anxiety and depression. These are managed by short periods of Prozac/fluoxetine (historically I’ve been able to come off it after 6 months to a year). I haven’t taken it for three years now as I’ve been able to manage it, but my workload has become so extreme lately that it’s tipped me over the edge. I’ve decided that it’s time to go back to the doctors to ask for a new prescription.

My workload won’t be like this forever, it’s short term pain for long term gain. So I’m really nervous about flagging it to my boss as I don’t want him to stigmatise me or hinder me when I’ve successfully managed to hide it over the past few years and I’m confident that I can manage it once the pills have kicked in.

My gut is telling me to self cert for the rest of this week and say I have a stomach bug to allow the meds to start to work. But I’m keen to get the opinions of others to see if I’m making things more challenging by just not fronting up to it?

Reactions: 1
I didn’t want to be the first to say don’t tell your boss. But I agree with the above. If you can ride it out and get on an even keel do so. I think you’d regret telling them. There’s absolutely no shame in having mental health issues, but sadly I don’t think everyone sees it that way and it could potentially colour their opinion of you as a worker. I say this as someone who did have to tell their boss and I do feel that I am treated differently now…though I could just be paranoid, but I’ll never know for sure. Now that I am through the worst of mine, I wish I had held on.

Reactions: 3
Just as an alternative opinion - I would say something.

Maybe try the stomach bug first to give you a bit of time off / take new meds but if the workload keeps increasing, you may find yourself even worse off in a few weeks / months. If your company see less of you as a worker / put your job at risk as a result, is that someone you would want to work for long term?

I say this as someone who worked in an incredibly stressful job in senior management ending up in a pretty serious burnout and because I never said anything my workload just kept increasingly difficult to deal with. I now no longer work there and realise it just wasn't worth it at all.

I understand of course needing the job security especially at the moment but burnout is no joke at all. Take care of yourself, you're more important and your managers should know this (and it's very sad that they aren't recognising this). ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I think it depends on the relationship you have with your boss. I had no choice but to be honest about mine because I had a breakdown. I would suggest mentioning it before it potentially gets to that point. It was a lot harder for me to explain once I was in dire straits than if I had explained I was struggling before.

Reactions: 2
If it was me, I'd have a chat with him about the workload and say you're struggling with it, that way it keeps it work related without delving into your personal life and it's something he can help you with by delegating some of the work to others. If you feel comfortable mentioning your anxiety and depression then I don't think it would do any harm to your job by telling him, but you don't want to cause yourself more unnecessary anxiety by worrying that it will effect how he treats you, so keep it private if that keeps it less stressful for you

Reactions: 2
No. Also if you want to progress in that company I wouldn't say anything about workload in relation to sickness. Unfortunately it's just not worth the risk that they'll think you can't cope, won't give you opportunities etc in case you go off sick again. Stomach bug wouldn't cover a whole week though I don't think, would have to be something longer

Back problems can last a week.

If you're really sure the work load is temporary then this approach fine but, otherwise I would ask if I could delegate some duties.

This is the paradox - it’s all about “ well being” in the workplace. Reality is if you admit to weakness, it will damage your career.
---

Reactions: 3
I’ve been having periods of IBS lately (probs stress related) so I reckon I’ll be able to use that as an excuse. No one is going to interrogate me about my bowel movements 🤣