Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Thank you all for your replies, made me feel a lot better and my husband was pretty useless on the matter 🤣

So to update, it was a bent needle and all is well with the machine.

Reactions: 6

Bexybest

I'd tell her to bring it back and you'll give her a refund (via bank transfer). She won't bring it back as it will miraculously start working I'd suspect..

Reactions: 3

lexiloo

VIP Member
I sold a chuggington train set on facebook and stated it was "interactive", a woman bought it then messaged later that day saying she wasn't happy as it wasn't talking to her son and she felt it was misleading as i'd advertised it as interactive, I explained to her the trains interact with each other and the signals etc she went mad and insisted I took it back for a refund as she was mis sold it, I told her if she could find a childs train set that could have actual conversations with her son i'd buy it for her myself ;) she brought it back, I refunded and re sold it the same day with no problems. After that nothing surprises me when selling items anymore, i'd be tempted to say the sale was final but she could be the type to comment on other items you sell to cause trouble or post about you in groups and as shitty as that would be it's just not worth the hassle sometimes so it's just easier to refund but i'd do it bank transfer like she paid you and I would tell her it has to be in the same condition it left yours in as she might have messed with it and that's what the issue is. Not very helpful I know but wanted to let you know you're not alone with things like this, my local marketplace brings out all the odd bods ;) good luck and let us know what happens

• Haha

bellinibobble

VIP Member
I think she’s trying it on, if you knew it was working when she bought it, definitely don’t take it back. Some people are so cheeky!

MamaD

VIP Member
It sounds like you are worrying about what she could do if you don’t take the item back so for that reason I’d just refund her. If you block her she’d have more ammo to post about you on other sites. I hate selling on FB but if you get it back I’d put something like ‘no returns’ on the post. I’m assuming she’s done a bank transfer so if you don’t refund her she’ll go via the bank to get the money back.

Reactions: 2

Lynseyp

VIP Member
I've had this so many times. Firstly i used to sell my items on ebay but have now stopped as I got fed up with stupid questions being asked. I had a lady who bought an expensive dress off me which was my daughters. After 8 days of receiving the dress she asked me to contribute towards dry cleaning costs as she says there was a mark on it. I refused as i know full well it was immaculate. Now im guessing the lady used the dress as it had what looked like fake tan on and decided it wasnt needed and asked for a refund. Ebay sided with her and i was fuming. You do get that with ebay they tend to side with the buyers.
Facebook marketplace, I had alot of time wasters, i was selling a car and person was due to turn up and didn't show up. We had no phone call nothing, i did send her an email thanking her for wasting my time. We had another person who wanted to knock £300 off the car. We did say "£600 or very near offer" don't consider £300 to be a close offer. Was also asked to hold the car for 2 weeks while she found the remaining £300 told her no then she came back same day with money and purchased it.

Always write on posts no returns accepted and try to meet in a mutual convenient place. Once had someone asked me to drive 200 miles so they can have a look at our car as they didn't want to have a wasted trip by driving down to us. They clearly had no intention of buying it and we told them where to go.
As for your situation i would refuse to refund the money. Block her if you have too, as you've done nothing wrong.

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Hoping to resurrect this thread as I can't see another one for Facebook Marketplace advice.

I'm trying to sell my sofa on FB. I've been contacted by a guy who doesn't speak very good English. He said he wants to buy my sofa and will send a courier to pick it up as it's collection only. We've agreed on a date (he was very flexible) but now he is asking for my email address and phone number. I said no because I want to keep everything on Facebook.

Am I being over cautious? I wasn't happy giving out my home address but understand that is necessary to facilitate collection. If I give him my email and phone number that is alot of personal info! I've just got a gut feeling he's trying to scam me.

What details do you think are safe/appropriate to hand out to strangers on FB? 😅
Sounds like the classic scam, has he said about sending someone with the cash?

However, I have personally used a courier to collect things vis shiply. But I have paid via paypal in advance.

slabber

I would agree a Facebook sale is final.

May be being a bit cynical also but the fact she insisted on a bank transfer to then come back with issues is convenient.

Reactions: 1

mrsbucket

VIP Member
Sounds like the classic scam, has he said about sending someone with the cash?

However, I have personally used a courier to collect things vis shiply. But I have paid via paypal in advance.
Yes cash on delivery supposedly. He's gone quiet now I have told him I won't be disclosing my contact details. 🥴 He didn't ask for any details about the sofa or try to negotiate price so that probably should've been a red flag.

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Send her some links to YouTube troubleshooting and if not take it back. It’s not worth the hassle it could cause if you don’t. I’ve seen some really nasty and vindictive posts on FB from disgruntled buyers. If your FB marketplace is linked to your personal profile she could not only damage your reputation as a seller but personally too.
Legally, I think that she has every right, if it’s actually broken and not user error, to return it it was sold as working.
I’m not a business seller, this was a personal item so I have no legal requirement to accept it back. It’s classed as a buyer beware sale but I am worried she could post about me locally unfairly.

littlepup

VIP Member
I’m not a business seller, this was a personal item so I have no legal requirement to accept it back. It’s classed as a buyer beware sale but I am worried she could post about me locally unfairly.
I see. Unfair feedback would concern me and I’d return it for that reason even though you’d be well within your rights not to then. To me it’s not worth the potential hassle of being posted all over FB in a ‘don’t buy from this person’ post. However I’d make it clear you’ll be checking it thoroughly before you transfer the money back to ensure they haven’t broken it themselves and if they have, no deal.

idk21

Chatty Member
Hoping to resurrect this thread as I can't see another one for Facebook Marketplace advice.

I'm trying to sell my sofa on FB. I've been contacted by a guy who doesn't speak very good English. He said he wants to buy my sofa and will send a courier to pick it up as it's collection only. We've agreed on a date (he was very flexible) but now he is asking for my email address and phone number. I said no because I want to keep everything on Facebook.

Am I being over cautious? I wasn't happy giving out my home address but understand that is necessary to facilitate collection. If I give him my email and phone number that is alot of personal info! I've just got a gut feeling he's trying to scam me.

What details do you think are safe/appropriate to hand out to strangers on FB? 😅
Sounds like it might be a scam. Could you send a screenshot of the message you got from him? If it’s along these lines, it is absolutely definitely a scam:

1686692705837.png

Do NOT give any personal info

mrsbucket

VIP Member
Sounds like it might be a scam. Could you send a screenshot of the message you got from him? If it’s along these lines, it is absolutely definitely a scam:

View attachment 2238562
Do NOT give any personal info
Yes spot on! They must copy from the same script.

Screenshot_20230614-102003.png

I've decided I'm not replying to anymore enquiries unless I can see that they live locally to me 🥴

idk21

Chatty Member
Yes spot on! They must copy from the same script.

View attachment 2239170

I've decided I'm not replying to anymore enquiries unless I can see that they live locally to me 🥴
Yeah I’ve had a few of those. The first time, I caught on pretty quickly, gave fake details and messed them around for an hour until they got bored of me first! For the email address, I gave them the official UK GOV phishing reporting email. They did not catch on 😂

• Haha

littlepup

VIP Member
Send her some links to YouTube troubleshooting and if not take it back. It’s not worth the hassle it could cause if you don’t. I’ve seen some really nasty and vindictive posts on FB from disgruntled buyers. If your FB marketplace is linked to your personal profile she could not only damage your reputation as a seller but personally too.
Legally, I think that she has every right, if it’s actually broken and not user error, to return it it was sold as working.

Raininvain

VIP Member
She wont do that or even if she did no one listening anyway and she'll be blocked from selling sites.
If you do take it back,( I wouldn't) test it to make sure it all o.k first then do a bank transfer.
You get some absolute lunatics when selling on Facebook.

Poptart

VIP Member
I would cut my loses, get her to bring it back and then refund her. Sounds like she's taking the mick but sometimes it's not worth the hassle. I hate selling on FB marketplace for reasons like this. Hopefully it's something simple you can fix.

mrsbucket

VIP Member

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Sorry this is a little of a silly one but it’s been on my mind! I sell on Facebook and ebay quite bit but I just wonder what other people would do about this sale.

I sold an overlocker (sewing machine) on Facebook over the weekend. I had a few people interested, one kept saying she was coming then changed the day then changed again and when I asked her to commit to a time as someone else was interested she told me to sell it to the other person. The other person was a no show and ignored my messages after they were meant to turn up. Someone else was interested and collected the same day.

She turned up without cash and insisted on a bank transfer which annoyed me a little as I wasn’t overly happy with giving my bank details on my doorstep.

I’d used this item only a few weeks ago and it was in full working order. But within a few hours she sent me a load of messages and a video saying she couldn’t get it to work probably and could I show her how it works.

Being lockdown and her being a complete stranger I wasn’t happy with this and she said that she wanted to return it. I think she’s got something caught but her english isn’t great and trying to explain what I though she’d done wasn’t easy. Im also not an expert.

Now to me, a Facebook sale is final and if it was me I’d look on YouTube first for any trouble shooting and if it didn’t work I’d kick myself but would never dream of asking to return it.

My husband thinks I should accept it back as he’s worried they know where we live. I know it worked perfectly when it left here and I’m worried it’s going to come back broken (and I’m a little miffed about her asking to return it)

But what would you do?