Selling a house

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
the Market is flooded with 2 bed new builds in this area. Houses like mine (3 bed 1940s semi) don’t come up as often so tend to sell quickly. My next door neighbours house was on the market this time last year and it sold within a month . It needed a lot of work as it belonged to an elderly lady (think avocado bathroom suite,wood chip wallpaper everywhere, back boiler etc).
Then I wouldn’t go crazy, we bought exactly the same type of property you have mentioned, it even had a green gloss painted wallpaper on the ceiling under polystyrene tiles! We put full asking price in (all we could afford) at the viewing, it had been on the market a week as we’d been looking for two years and it was perfect. If the market is limited and fast paced people will look past needing to put a lick of paint on the walls when they move in.

Reactions: 1
So our for sale board went up this morning & by the time we got home at 5pm we had someone knocking on the door wanting to buy the house 🤣
I was a little shocked as didn’t expect it. We kept our cards close to our chest, we want to give others a chance first who may offer above asking price. This just suddenly got interesting 🤩

• Heart
Reactions: 6
So our for sale board went up this morning & by the time we got home at 5pm we had someone knocking on the door wanting to buy the house 🤣
I was a little shocked as didn’t expect it. We kept our cards close to our chest, we want to give others a chance first who may offer above asking price. This just suddenly got interesting 🤩
thats great news 👏

Hi 👋🏻 joining in… I’ve found this thread really helpful as we are just getting ready to put our first home on the market.
We are replacing the carpets in a couple of weeks (they were poorly fitted originally, despite being very expensive and have been shot to pieces by us, our young daughter and cat! 😬) and just generally tidying up/de-cluttering/touching up. We’re new to the selling process, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on estate agents? I know things will vary depending on the part of the country you’re in (We’re south east England). Has anyone tried Purple Bricks? What’s the catch on the no commission?!

Hi 👋🏻 joining in… I’ve found this thread really helpful as we are just getting ready to put our first home on the market.
We are replacing the carpets in a couple of weeks (they were poorly fitted originally, despite being very expensive and have been shot to pieces by us, our young daughter and cat! 😬) and just generally tidying up/de-cluttering/touching up. We’re new to the selling process, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on estate agents? I know things will vary depending on the part of the country you’re in (We’re south east England). Has anyone tried Purple Bricks? What’s the catch on the no commission?!
I work in conveyancing and whenever Purple Bricks are the agent we roll our eyes. They're a nightmare to get hold of!

I would personally get quotes/valuations off a few local agents and go with the one who feels most genuine. If they try push you into using a specific solicitor, don't. Find one who suits you, again, by getting numerous quotes and going with the one you think seems best. If an agent is pushing you to use a specific conveyancer it's because they get commission for referrals, and not because the conveyancer in question is really good!

Reactions: 4
Hi 👋 I put a post on my local areas Facebook group asking for estate agent recommendations. A lot of people commented saying to avoid purple bricks because they are really slow.

Mine sold in 5 days in July last year, not surprised it's all happening this quickly now!

Reactions: 2
I work in conveyancing and whenever Purple Bricks are the agent we roll our eyes. They're a nightmare to get hold of!

I would personally get quotes/valuations off a few local agents and go with the one who feels most genuine. If they try push you into using a specific solicitor, don't. Find one who suits you, again, by getting numerous quotes and going with the one you think seems best. If an agent is pushing you to use a specific conveyancer it's because they get commission for referrals, and not because the conveyancer in question is really good!
Thank you 😊 Oh dear… nope I’m not having people that hard to get hold of 😅 I’m dreading the doing the whole process again, it took 5 and a half months last time and there was no chain! 😩
Brilliant advice, thank you ☺

Hi 👋 I put a post on my local areas Facebook group asking for estate agent recommendations. A lot of people commented saying to avoid purple bricks because they are really slow.
Great idea, thank you! Yeah, I’m defo not having that! The process is slow enough without having to chase estate agents, I found last time, they were after us! 😅

• Heart
Our house sold today!! It has been on the market just over a month.
I was hoping it would of sold sooner but tbh we’re struggling to find somewhere anyway. But exciting news none the less!
may need to rent somewhere till we find somewhere.
everytime a new house comes on the market, we book to view it, within days it’s sold. Feels like we’re literally fighting with the tide

• Heart
I was hoping it would of sold sooner but tbh we’re struggling to find somewhere anyway. But exciting news none the less!
everytime a new house comes on the market, we book to view it, within days it’s sold. Feels like we’re literally fighting with the tide
Congrats on selling! Fingers crossed you find something suitable soon.

I still don’t feel like we’re any closer to being ready to go on the market, it’s been one illness after the other in this house 🤢 so havv by e struggled to be productive.

Congrats!!! It’ll all come round so quickly, just be on the ball. I’m moving tomorrow 👏🏼

Looking for a bit of advice for my daughter whose sale and purchase is completing on Monday next week
They marketed their house in November and had an offer from someone in their village who wanted to buy it as a buy to let which my daughter wasn’t keen on and he underoffered so they accepted another offer
Early January the buyer pulled out and they then got 2 offers for the asking price ( £10k more than the buyer who pulled out had made )
One was from the previous chap they had turned down but now for the full price and he said he wasn’t letting it apparently his girlfriend was pregnant and they would be living there themselves. The estate agent recommended they go with him as he had mortgage etc in place etc
The other buyer even came and knocked on the door the next morning begging to buy it but they had accepted the other offer and were worried about losing the house they want to buy
The buyer has been a bit difficult not wanting to pay for various items in the kitchen and threatening to pull out so they accepted this as it’s gone so far

daughter called me early this morning to say their house is listed on a local Facebookpage as being up for rent from Tuesday next week and he used the pictures from the listing that my daughter paid for.
she’s very upset and would pull out if she could.
spoke to estate agents Who said he apparently got drunk and listed it by mistake abs would be living in it himself

One of the reasons they really wanted to sell it to someone who would live there is they have elderly neighbours either side
Are they wrong to be upset ?

Looking for a bit of advice for my daughter whose sale and purchase is completing on Monday next week
They marketed their house in November and had an offer from someone in their village who wanted to buy it as a buy to let which my daughter wasn’t keen on and he underoffered so they accepted another offer
Early January the buyer pulled out and they then got 2 offers for the asking price ( £10k more than the buyer who pulled out had made )
One was from the previous chap they had turned down but now for the full price and he said he wasn’t letting it apparently his girlfriend was pregnant and they would be living there themselves. The estate agent recommended they go with him as he had mortgage etc in place etc
The other buyer even came and knocked on the door the next morning begging to buy it but they had accepted the other offer and were worried about losing the house they want to buy
The buyer has been a bit difficult not wanting to pay for various items in the kitchen and threatening to pull out so they accepted this as it’s gone so far

daughter called me early this morning to say their house is listed on a local Facebookpage as being up for rent from Tuesday next week and he used the pictures from the listing that my daughter paid for.
spoke to estate agents Who said he apparently got drunk and listed it by mistake abs would be living in it himself

One of the reasons they really wanted to sell it to someone who would live there is they have elderly neighbours either side
I don’t think they’re wrong to be upset that he lied but it’s his house it’s up to him what he wants to do with it. Just because tenants will be moving in doesn’t automatically make them bad neighbours.

I do not think she is wrong to be upset, but realistically she has not right as to what they do with the house once it is theirs. You can try to sell it to your ideal buyer but who is to say their situation will be the same. They could buy it, extend it and sell it on within months. While trying to be a good neighbor is nice, she needs to focus on her move and her new house. Just because it is tenanted doesn't mean they people will be bad, I rented for 7 years and I would like to think I am the same as I am now in my own home.

I don’t think they’re wrong to be upset that he lied but it’s his house it’s up to him what he wants to do with it. Just because tenants will be moving in doesn’t automatically make them bad neighbours.
In principle yes but it’s not his house until next Monday! It’s the perils of buying and selling I suppose

I do not think she is wrong to be upset, but realistically she has not right as to what they do with the house once it is theirs. You can try to sell it to your ideal buyer but who is to say their situation will be the same. They could buy it, extend it and sell it on within months. While trying to be a good neighbor is nice, she needs to focus on her move and her new house. Just because it is tenanted doesn't mean they people will be bad, I rented for 7 years and I would like to think I am the same as I am now in my own home.
Your probably right they are going from a 3 bedroom terrace to a 6 bed detached hoping it will be their forever house. My daughter wonders if she can take issue with the estate agent but I’m trying to advice her to stay cool and just look forward to next week this time when they will have moved in with their young daughter.

Last edited:
In principle yes but it’s not his house until next Monday! It’s the perils of buying and selling I suppose

Your probably right they are going from a 3 bedroom terrace to a 6 bed detached hoping it will be their forever house. My daughter wonders if she can take issue with the estate agent but I’m trying to advice her to stay cool and just look forward to next week this time when they will have moved in with their young daughter.
If she kicks up too much of a fuss he may well pull out or reduce his price. I would tell her to keep out of it. Once she hands they keys over it is nothing to do with her and it is not worth risking her forever home for. The only thing she could go on, it the fact that the estate agent hasn't given permission for the photos to be used, but again thats not her fight.

If she kicks up too much of a fuss he may well pull out or reduce his price. I would tell her to keep out of it. Once she hands they keys over it is nothing to do with her and it is not worth risking her forever home for. The only thing she could go on, it the fact that the estate agent hasn't given permission for the photos to be used, but again thats not her fight.
They’ve exchanged contract so don’t think he can pull out. Estate agent have told him about the photos already. Onward to next week she’s working today and I’ve got her 5 year old as the little one and her dad have covid. Very excited for them as she’s spent 4 years building her cleaning business to be able to get this house. We’ll deserved so I won’t let anyone ruin it
Her main problem now is the 5 year old doesn’t want anything thrown away ie given to charity . My late mum who died 8 weeks ago was a hoarder so looks like great granddaughter has inherited it from her

Her main problem now is the 5 year old doesn’t want anything thrown away ie given to charity . My late mum who died 8 weeks ago was a hoarder so looks like great granddaughter has inherited it from her
The little one is just picking up on change and tension etc.

I was reluctant to get rid of things when we moved when I was a child and everything that mum got out to send to charity was exciting and "new" again because it hadn't been taken out of the cupboard for months.

Stick things in a box and take it to charity. She will never remember everything she had and will not miss the bits that go.

Reactions: 3