Secondment & pat increase

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey

I’ve been covering a secondment at work since September. When I got it I was told I’d be paid an ‘acting up’ allowance which I know is quite a bit below the target salary for the role. I’ve just been told this has been made permanent (which im ecstatic) about but now need to broach the salary conversation...

1 - am I right to assume my salary should be uplifted?
2 - how the hell do I negotiate a salary (I’ve never had to do this before and basically I’m not good at confrontation/awkward situations)

Any help or just telling me to grow a pair is greatly appreciated

Yes it should be at whatever the rate is for the permanent post and not just acting up. Do you have a HR department? It would be worth speaking to them about it.

Reactions: 1
I’m currently on maternity secondment and I would not take it as a permanent role without an increase from the additional wage i’ve been getting.. I think its more stress than it’s worth for the amount of extra they are giving me so I really don’t like the thought of carrying it on!
On the other hand I can’t bear the thought of taking a paycut & ultimately a ‘demotion’ back to my old role so it’s a bit of a dilemma!

But like you I find it awkward asking for more money 😩 There are some people that ask for an increase at every review and I don’t know how they do it 🤷🏼‍♀️

This is the thing. I’m so pleased it’s been made perm but I know how underpaid I am compared to the rest of the team & against the target salary/market value for the role.

Guess it comes down to if you don’t ask you don’t get. I, like you wouldn’t be happy doing it for the amount I’m getting and it would make me look elsewhere.

Congratulations! Always good to know your hard work has been appreciated. Well done on your perm contract.
Sadly my work also do this secondment cover and “acting up” allowance (5-10% I believe)
Does your company have pay bandings or scales for specific roles?

Now that you’re perm you should definitely go to at least the bottom of your banding salary. It’s up to you how hard you push for over that baseline. One thing I would say is if you are going for a pay rise discussion above starting salary; ensure you have actual, evidenced examples to hand to demonstrate why you deserve it, projects delivered (timescales / budgets etc) tricky issues you’ve resolved, relationships you’ve managed/built/repaired, potential or pre escalations you’ve handled and calmed down before they explode, feedback from clients / teams / customers etc. Any qualifications, training or things as such that you have relating to your field etc. Good luck!

Sorry to resurrect - I’ve just received confirmation that no increase is to be awarded. I must wait till this years pay review to have my salary reviewed.

I’m gutted.

Sorry to resurrect - I’ve just received confirmation that no increase is to be awarded. I must wait till this years pay review to have my salary reviewed.

I’m gutted.
Oh no sorry to hear that ☹ When will that be? Is it upcoming?
If it was a month or so i’d wait it out but if it’s a long time i’d be really tempted to say well thanks but no thanks then

It’s not until October - and they’ve said it’ll be in line with our pay review. So it’ll take me approx 6 years of good pay reviews to reach the same salary as the rest of my team 🤯😬😩