RSPCA

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This may be a controversial subject but I just wonder what people's opinions are?
Personally I think they only care about the money. We had issues with a barking dog last year and because we couldn't see it even though we knew where it lived, they wouldn't come out. Over half a year later when environmental health got involved it turned out the dog was seriously under weight. If the RSPCA had come out when we first called that poor dog wouldn't off suffered.

We phoned them this week due to a young swan sleeping on the road. I've watched this swan family since they babies were born so I know them well. Most had fled the nest bar one who was having to sleep on the road as Dad was chasing him out of the water.
The RSPCA told me that this was just nature, which I explained I understood but I just needed them to re-home him as it was dangerous for him to be on the road. If he was just in a normal pond ect I'd have left him.
They refused to come out because he wasn't injured. Thankfully someone saw my post on Facebook and got in contact and between us we got him to a place of safety. He is now in another part of the town away from the road.

I honestly don't understand what the RSPCA do.

Reactions: 1
This may be a controversial subject but I just wonder what people's opinions are?
Personally I think they only care about the money. We had issues with a barking dog last year and because we couldn't see it even though we knew where it lived, they wouldn't come out. Over half a year later when environmental health got involved it turned out the dog was seriously under weight. If the RSPCA had come out when we first called that poor dog wouldn't off suffered.

We phoned them this week due to a young swan sleeping on the road. I've watched this swan family since they babies were born so I know them well. Most had fled the nest bar one who was having to sleep on the road as Dad was chasing him out of the water.
The RSPCA told me that this was just nature, which I explained I understood but I just needed them to re-home him as it was dangerous for him to be on the road. If he was just in a normal pond ect I'd have left him.
They refused to come out because he wasn't injured. Thankfully someone saw my post on Facebook and got in contact and between us we got him to a place of safety. He is now in another part of the town away from the road.

I honestly don't understand what the RSPCA do.
The rspca only care about the money! They allow baby male chicks to be ground up ... I would say google it but it’s not pretty! It’s rspca approved ... how sick is that!

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I've read some real horror stories about the RSPCA, about animals that die in their care.

PETA is another awful animal organisation. They claim to care about animal cruelty but they actually kill thousands of animals a year that they can't keep. They are disgusting. So many articles online about them.

Reactions: 5
I know a vet who has absolutely no time for the RSPCA. They treat vet companies like crap, wanting ever cheaper deals on vet work. I accept they are a charity but businesses still have to cover costs.

Also they are too heavy handed at times. An example being a dog breeder who had a litter of puppies, and there was a bit of poo in the area the puppies and mother were living, not loads it was regularly cleaned. Now if you’ve ever had a litter of puppies, you know there is pretty much always a bit of poo around. It wasn’t a poor living condition and the most that needed to be done really was tell the breeder to clean up even more regularly. It didn’t need the police going round with the RSPCA, taking away all the puppies and mother, then taking the breeder to court and getting him banned from breeding.

The RSPCA are a joke. If you want to support animal charities, avoid the big national charities, support little local charities. They are generally better and less money is generally creamed off by the charity bosses in their over inflated pay packets.

I've read bad stories in general and also heard from someone i know who had a similar experience to the OP about a neglected barking dog.

I've noticed them cropping up on the charity commission website last year (where charities are investigated if anyone complains. If I remember correctly it was one of their local branches and it easy to do with money ). Put me off donating to them since

PETA is another awful animal organisation. They claim to care about animal cruelty but they actually kill thousands of animals a year that they can't keep. They are disgusting. So many articles online about them.
Yep PETA are pretty horrendous, they don’t seem afraid of courting controversy either

Reactions: 5
I’ve had a good experience of our local rehoming cattery but I think that’s due to a wonderful lady who works there. My husband works in social housing and his experiences aren’t good. For example recently he had to proceed on a closure order on a property as the resident was manufacturing and distributing drugs. Once they got possession of the property a few reptiles were found there living in cardboard boxes. The RSPCA refused to rescue them and couldn’t provide a list of people/organisations who might be able to help. My OH managed to find someone locally and luckily the drug dealer didn’t ask for the reptiles in the 30 days following the closure so hopefully the bearded dragons are happy in their new home no thanks to the RSPCA

• Sad
Reactions: 3
We used to rehome cats from the local RSPCA shelter, got really frustrated by the blatant lies they told us about the cats suspected age though. The local vets told us whatever age they claim the cat is its probably nearer double that age.
Was so depressing going there as well.

• Wow
God I bloody hate Peta. That post they did about Steve Irwin was so gross.

We used to rehome cats from the local RSPCA shelter, got really frustrated by the blatant lies they told us about the cats suspected age though. The local vets told us whatever age they claim the cat is its probably nearer double that age.
Was so depressing going there as well.
We got 2 of our cats from the RSPCA (should of added this to my original post!) They were 8 weeks old, we were told they'd had cat flu but we're fine. Days after getting them home and one went down hill, it was a bank holiday Monday and we didn't know what to do so rang them and they told us the kitten was no longer there problem (didn't even tell us about emergency vets!) Anyways 4 days later we had to have the kitten put down to pneumonia, our vet did all they could but she couldn't be saved and I always wonder if they'd helped us on that bank holiday would she have been okay?

I'll admit they did pay for all the vet bills we racked up over the week (over £400!) They paid for her sister to have a full health check and have us another kitten. I just wish they'd seen her on that Monday.

• Sad
  • Wow
I hate the RSPCA. I will not leave any animal on their care. My friend once found a tiny kitten running along the road so he took it to the rehoming centre and they weren’t interested. They said they wouldn’t attempt to find any owner but she had signs of cat flu so they’d probably see how she went which mean they’d probably euthanise.
In the end I took the kitten because I couldn’t bare the thought of leaving her and I rehomed her myself after a few days. We took her to the vets and got her seen too and with some food and water she was right as rain.

They’re a disgusting ‘charity’ and they could care less about animals if they tried!

No good experience either, I found a goat tehered in he middle of a notorious estate, I was really worried it would be set on fire and abused. The rspca weren’t interested at all. That night it somehow broke free and actually ended up in my colleagues garden eating their garden grass 😂 it was rehired to a local city farm afterwards 😊

Reactions: 2
I’ve had nothing but good experiences with them.

I’m assuming like most customer facing roles- it depends on training and how ruthless the higher ups are. The lack of action may be because there just aren’t enough staff to take all the calls and investigate; then they have to go through the police and there just aren’t enough police because of cuts... etc etc.

I’d just like to say we’re a lot better off than without them, but they do need to sort their tit out that’s for sure.

PETA can GTFO. Absolute cretins.

Reactions: 1
No good experience either, I found a goat tehered in he middle of a notorious estate, I was really worried it would be set on fire and abused. The rspca weren’t interested at all. That night it somehow broke free and actually ended up in my colleagues garden eating their garden grass 😂 it was rehired to a local city farm afterwards 😊
Aww I love the idea of him breaking free and grazing on someone's grass! 😊

I've not had any experiences with them myself - only seen the inspectors on TV, but some of them are really rude and don't have much compassion. Even if its a small issue that can be fixed, like they need help getting rid of some puppies/kittens or telling someone to treat fleas or get something checked out. (obviously I don't condone any animal cruelty and not saying you should feel sorry for all of the people on the show) Its just frustrating how even when the owners are cooperative, they still come across as really brash.

I have no time for the RSPCA. There was a man on our street who threatened to kill a stray cat if it came near him (he thought it was one of ours and screamed in my little sisters face). They refused to take him even when we offered to pay and said just to ‘let him go’.

Thankfully the Cats Protection were amazing and took him, but I will never donate to RSPCA.

I have no time for the RSPCA. There was a man on our street who threatened to kill a stray cat if it came near him (he thought it was one of ours and screamed in my little sisters face). They refused to take him even when we offered to pay and said just to ‘let him go’.

Thankfully the Cats Protection were amazing and took him, but I will never donate to RSPCA.
I have alot of time for cats protection and will happily donate to them.