Right to die debate in House of Lords today

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Seems like there was a worry that her parents were considering to take her abroad - otherwise why would the judge mention it? It has happened a bunch of times before so I don't think it's that surprising that they would err on the side of caution about letting her go home. Plus, it's totally possible that they have a policy against it for whatever reason too
They wanted to take her home to die when she was born but the hospital wouldn't allow it thay put her on life support ,the hospital then wanted to withdraw the life support but that's against the parents religion they went to court to fight against it they then made arrangements to take her to Israel for treatment but lost that case too.The parents then went to court to ask for her to die at home and not in the hospice but that was overruled by the judge too.

They wanted to take her home to die when she was born but the hospital wouldn't allow it thay put her on life support ,the hospital then wanted to withdraw the life support but that's against the parents religion they went to court to fight against it they then made arrangements to take her to Israel for treatment but lost that case too.The parents then went to court to ask for her to die at home and not in the hospice but that was overruled by the judge too.
And it’s very clear why that is the case after they voiced that they wanted to take her to Israel. Whether they changed their mind (or are saying they had) is irrelevant because that would still be a risk no one would be willing to take as it would prolong suffering

Reactions: 1
And it’s very clear why that is the case after they voiced that they wanted to take her to Israel. Whether they changed their mind (or are saying they had) is irrelevant because that would still be a risk no one would be willing to take as it would prolong suffering
As would putting the child on life support to begin with ,when she had no chance of survival .

Reactions: 2
i mean i don't think therr is any way any airline would have let a child in that condition on anyway . i wonder how much the mentioning of its being against their religion influenced the doctors decisions, i definitely disagree with the doctors in this case, but it must be frustrating to have science and your years of studyinc etc be ignored based on religion

I am very much hoping that this becomes law. One of the reasons I left a 30 year nursing career was because of the terrible lack of decent palliative care, people being forced to remain alive for way too long and lack of choice for the patient. I've seen some truly awful cases and I eventually burnt out because I just didn't agree with the practises any more. I loved my job, but I trained to be a nurse in order to relieve pain and suffering, not cause and prolong it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I am very much hoping that this becomes law. One of the reasons I left a 30 year nursing career was because of the terrible lack of decent palliative care, people being forced to remain alive for way too long and lack of choice for the patient. I've seen some truly awful cases and I eventually burnt out because I just didn't agree with the practises any more. I loved my job, but I trained to be a nurse in order to relieve pain and suffering, not cause and prolong it.
I can fully understand that. It must be a very tough job.

• Heart
So sorry. :(

One reason why I would not want to die in a hospital or a care home. Either my own home with hospice care or a hospice

• Heart
Yes I agree it should be discussed BUT what about the logistics/practicality?
Who will actually assist those who want to end their life?
Who will and how will these people be trained?
I wouldn't really want to do this job without 100% backing I wouldn't later down the line be held accountable and end up in prison.
Where will it happen? Will there be a specific house?
If the government are to over see it then they will have a duty of care to the relatives.
Legally it's a minefield.

The reality means it would take decades to implement.

I wouldn't really want to do this job without 100% backing I wouldn't later down the line be held accountable and end up in prison.
If the government are to over see it then they will have a duty of care to the relatives.

I mean presumably it will be doctors or nurses who provide palliative care currently? As someone above who worked in medical care this is something a lot of doctors/nurses etc would rather do rather than watch someone suffer needlessly

• Heart
I mean presumably it will be doctors or nurses who provide palliative care currently? As someone above who worked in medical care this is something a lot of doctors/nurses etc would rather do rather than watch someone suffer needlessly
I think it would probably be a conflict of interest for most palliative clinicians though would sit in their remit of discussing advanced care and the dying phases.

I’m sure there are many doctors and nursing staff who hate the status quo and would offer this service.

Reactions: 5

I would imagine it would be similar to Dignitas and the staff who work it would choose to work there so would feel that the right to die was important.

If the law states that people have the right to die and it is signed off by professionals, I don't see why anyone carrying out assisted suicide would be held accountable for it in the future.

This law already exists in The Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Belgium and several US states, it's certainly not untested.

Reactions: 5
I would imagine it would be similar to Dignitas and the staff who work it would choose to work there so would feel that the right to die was important.

If the law states that people have the right to die and it is signed off by professionals, I don't see why anyone carrying out assisted suicide would be held accountable for it in the future.

This law already exists in The Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Belgium and several US states, it's certainly not untested.
This is the thing,we can take all of those examples,so in theory it should be easy to do without huge mistakes. We are not going into this blind

• Heart
Open letter to Boris Johnson | Dignity in Dying
This came up on my FB today, I've signed and shared.

I put myself in the position of those with terminal cancer, MND, MS, whatever... and for me the loss of dignity and fear of a terrible death would so outweigh whether the kids got their inheritance or not. With animals, there's a saying "better a day too early than a day too late" and I totally agree with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Presumably it would be similar to clinic like Dignitas? With trained nursing staff - medically trained & qualified staff delivering the medication. Paperwork would need to be signed to cover all the legalities so that no one individual would be liable for any law suits.

I guess the same argument about which medical practitioners would do it/be prepared to do it is pretty much the same as those prepared to perform abortions? And there are plenty of those... so I think it could be done without compelling medical staff to do it if they really didnt want to. Lets face it, even if we had I dont know 10-20 medical facilities in the UK you could travel to, that would probably be much cheaper and easier and less stressful than travelling to Switzerland.