Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Rlaw1978

VIP Member
Have you considered going to your local council and asking to be put on the housing list? You’d get priority because you have children and would be eligible due to landlord selling- if you do go make sure you take evidence of this with you, most councils ask for a section 21 filled in by the landlord.

Reactions: 5

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
It will vary slightly across councils, but generally the council look to see if you're making yourself 'intentially homeless'. They can also check if you can afford to rent (this reason is why we are not eligible to join the list.. despite needing almost £500pm from housing benefit 🥴). If you end up actually homeless, you'd be helped. It could be a case of temporary accommodation until something is available; quality range of that can be extreme, and could be a very long wait. It can also be quite expensive considering its a temp house while you're vulnerable.

The worst thing, imo, is all the social housing being bought. The local estate near me has lovely family homes but so many of them are now privately owned, going on the market for 500k. I don't think people should have been able to buy the properties. Now theres a shortage, and we end up living in concrete jungles and losing green space.

Housing market is a mess 🥴

Reactions: 4

Rlaw1978

VIP Member
This isn’t always true , my mum was on the list when my sister and I were younger (Babies) and she didn’t get offered anything in 12 years. Luckily she met my step dad and they were able to buy a house together.
I can only speak from my experience , which was the landlord was selling our house and we have 4 children. We were given priority banding and got offered something within 3 months.
Every area is different but it’s an avenue I’d recommend finding more about at least.

Reactions: 3
Yes the
Firstly to the OP your landlord must give you 2 months notice! And usually this must be2 months prior to the rent date. So if your term is end of the month and they gave you notice on 1st, they have to give you 2 months from the rent date. Any less and they are breaking the contract in place and the law. Please double check and if you have any queries, inbox me.
yes they did give us notice correctly. We don’t need to move until the start of November thank goodness. Isn’t it crazy that someone who is in the over 50% tax bracket cannot be given home security?! This country needs to change the housing situation it’s ridiculous. Unless something drastic happens we will sadly be paying v high rents for years to come. We may just need to bit the bullet and pay a lot more than we are doing now which we could technically afford to but then we will never be able to save! Flats aren’t even that much cheaper. By a couple of hundred maybe but nothing that will help save 40 grand within a few years so why not just pay for what we would be happy in and get a long contract? My husband still hopes we can save but I’m over it!

chocolate choux

VIP Member
Honestly, applying for social housing would be a waste of time. The system is completely overwhelmed, there are a lack of properties and long waiting lists for those who are homeless and need them. Your income would be a major factor and not obtaining another place to rent when there are (practical but not perfect) options may be construed as ‘making yourself homeless’ (yes, that term is used). The system doesn’t even work for people who are penniless and homeless with no other options. By all means apply, maybe your local council are different but that’s what I know about the current state of the system

It’s a crap situation but the housing market will crash at some point. The only advice I can give is to sit tight until then and open a LISA if you haven’t already (sorry no advice about the more pressing renting situation though!)

Countrybumpkingirl

Chatty Member
Firstly to the OP your landlord must give you 2 months notice! And usually this must be2 months prior to the rent date. So if your term is end of the month and they gave you notice on 1st, they have to give you 2 months from the rent date. Any less and they are breaking the contract in place and the law. Please double check and if you have any queries, inbox me.

Meh

Chatty Member
It will vary slightly across councils, but generally the council look to see if you're making yourself 'intentially homeless'. They can also check if you can afford to rent (this reason is why we are not eligible to join the list.. despite needing almost £500pm from housing benefit 🥴). If you end up actually homeless, you'd be helped. It could be a case of temporary accommodation until something is available; quality range of that can be extreme, and could be a very long wait. It can also be quite expensive considering its a temp house while you're vulnerable.

The worst thing, imo, is all the social housing being bought. The local estate near me has lovely family homes but so many of them are now privately owned, going on the market for 500k. I don't think people should have been able to buy the properties. Now theres a shortage, and we end up living in concrete jungles and losing green space.

Housing market is a mess 🥴
Agreed. Very glad Scotland has ended the right to buy.
Although, overall the gap in replenishing the bought social housing stock with new housing is shocking. I work within this sector and it stuns me the level of social housing being built Vs private estates. And Scotland is doing pretty well in comparison with other nations on that front- and it’s still so bad.

Don’t even start me on the “affordable housing” allocations required through planning on PLC developers site. Yeah, £200k for a 3 bed terrace is affordable... in areas where the average house price is half that and average wage is under £26k. 🙄

UK housing market is a shambles.

• Heart
I actually suggested this to my husband and he thought it was ridiculous. To be honest his parents could afford to help us out by way of a family support type mortgage package as paying monthly rent/mortgage isn’t the problem, it’s the lump sum you need, but he won’t talk to them about that. I’m so so frustrated. We have rented for 7 years now and my optimism/positivity when rents keep increasing and in the area we are looking in we are now looking at 2k per month for a house with a garden. Obviously we could just get a flat, but it seems ridiculous when we can afford to pay the mortgage or a house in the same area! 😡

• Sad
Reactions: 2

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Agreed. Very glad Scotland has ended the right to buy.
Although, overall the gap in replenishing the bought social housing stock with new housing is shocking. I work within this sector and it stuns me the level of social housing being built Vs private estates. And Scotland is doing pretty well in comparison with other nations on that front- and it’s still so bad.

Don’t even start me on the “affordable housing” allocations required through planning on PLC developers site. Yeah, £200k for a 3 bed terrace is affordable... in areas where the average house price is half that and average wage is under £26k. 🙄

UK housing market is a shambles.
What fucks me off is all this housing (flats) going up, under the promise of providing X% as 'affordable' .. along the way, that drops below the required amount or disappears completely! Its outrageous that its even allowed. Its not affordable anyway, but if your planning is approved based on the requirement of X% affordable, bloody do it!

I totally agree it’s an absolute mess. So many people working their backsides off yet because they don’t have bank of mum and dad or bought a 20p house in the 70s they are struggling. Really not fair.

I feel a bit guilty for even thinking of applying. I mean we can afford flats in the local area just not what we would really want/want to buy in future which I doubt would be available by social housing anyway? Seems funny to apply when we could afford ‘suitable’ accommodation technically but we want a garden...

Reactions: 1

Definitelyme

VIP Member
Speaking as a landlord (although not in England where prices are crazy and landlords seem like maniacs) a long term tenant is ideal. I’ve had someone in one of my houses for over 10 years, and it is really the ideal situation. So definitely let landlords know you are looking for a long term stay

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
With the school run I guess it’s how far you are prepared to travel and how practical that is for you as a family (I.e do you drive or do you use public transport/do you need to get them in so you can then go to work?) is personally probably travel 30minutes for the school run if I had to but for some that’s too far.

if you move your kids to a new school they would adapt, so I’d not worry massively about that at this stage really.

can you apply for a council/local authority house? So you could rent and then perhaps save up some money to put towards a deposit for a mortgage?

You need to sit down with your husband and properly discuss this with him - the burden of house hunting and the worry shouldn’t all fall on your shoulders. He needs to understand that living in the area isn’t an option anymore due to the cost of rents now and that moving elsewhere is the only option.

all the best x

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Apply for social housing. Especially as you could potentially end up homeless if you dont find somewhere by the time the notice is up.

I wouldnt want to move schools, that would be worsd case. We have a 25min walk to school. Id be ok with a short bus rides distance.

A landlord can do a 10yr contract, or a 6 month contract. It makes no difference when it comes to serving notice, legally they can still serve notice with 2 months. If theres a break clause, they can serve it anytime after that. We have been in our place for 5yrs and renew every year, with rent increase, and have a 6 month break clause. Our last renewal was a 2yr contract (only because i negotiated a rent freeze and they didnt want to rewrite the contract 🙄) but we are still at their mercy after 6 months.

Hi all,

We need to move out of our rented home in around 6/7 weeks, LL wants the house back. We are lucky for renters as we have been here three years. But now we need to find somewhere new and there seems to be a lack of decent houses in our area. No deposit so we can’t buy. I’m feeling very disheartened and stuck. We have three kids who are very happy in the local school and that’s the sole reason we aren’t able to look further afield to somewhere more affordable. The house prices/rents in the area are really getting me down and it’s worrying me. Would any landlords consider v long term tenants ie three years plus contracts? How far would you travel for the school run? Is it s big risk moving the kids primary school elsewhere when they’re so happy? I’d be prepared to do it but my oh wants to stay in this area but he doesn’t seem to realised we are priced out for what we want (3 bed house with garden). I just want to put down real roots for the sake of our kids and be able to make somewhere our own. We do ok for money so could pay more at a push. I grew up somewhere much more affordable and it astounds me that we earn decent money yet are in this position. A mortgage would be so much cheaper!Advice/support/ideas much appreciated!

Yayitsavaliable

Have you considered going to your local council and asking to be put on the housing list? You’d get priority because you have children and would be eligible due to landlord selling- if you do go make sure you take evidence of this with you, most councils ask for a section 21 filled in by the landlord.
This isn’t always true , my mum was on the list when my sister and I were younger (Babies) and she didn’t get offered anything in 12 years. Luckily she met my step dad and they were able to buy a house together.

I so appreciate your advice. Weirdly hoping for a market crash and already have a LISA open. Will have to just keep my eyes on the rental market in the mean time!

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
I actually suggested this to my husband and he thought it was ridiculous. To be honest his parents could afford to help us out by way of a family support type mortgage package as paying monthly rent/mortgage isn’t the problem, it’s the lump sum you need, but he won’t talk to them about that. I’m so so frustrated. We have rented for 7 years now and my optimism/positivity when rents keep increasing and in the area we are looking in we are now looking at 2k per month for a house with a garden. Obviously we could just get a flat, but it seems ridiculous when we can afford to pay the mortgage or a house in the same area! 😡
If you want to stay in the area, would it be much cheaper for the flat? So that you could save the extra?

My family could also help us, but have chosen not to. So be it. I dont mind renting, I just want fair rent and security! We pay high rents too, and want to move but stay in the area; we cant afford to. Even the flats now are too much. Its really disheartening when youre often paying more than a mortgage.

I can only speak from my experience , which was the landlord was selling our house and we have 4 children. We were given priority banding and got offered something within 3 months.
Every area is different but it’s an avenue I’d recommend finding more about at least.
Agreed. Waiting lists are different all over. But if youre eligible to join the list, join.

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
My family has a couple of rental properties, and we do have long term contracts. I think one of ours is contracted for 5 years. I think it depends on the landlord/tenant and prior experiences with previous tenants.
As for schools, my children’s is about 3 miles from our house, by choice, as we knew we wanted them to go to that school. As for moving them, I think it depends completely on the child. Some cope with change so well, whereas others not so much, so I think you have to take that on your children’s temperaments.
I hope it goes well for you

chocolate choux

VIP Member
Councils don’t look at your income. Mine didn’t anyway. Didn’t even ask if me and my partner worked, just told us what date the rent was due each month.

She is not making herself homeless, her landlord is evicting her and they have to provide her with a document which the council can take and it adds to the application.

I guess it depends on the area but I was in the exact same situation and only waited 4 months and was offered a 2 bed semi detached house. We were in a priority category for being made homeless, living in an overcrowded house and we even got more points somehow for requesting a certain area.
Citizens Advice say you probably have to be on a low income, of course every council is different and as I said the poster should apply if she wants to by all means

I didn’t say she was making herself homeless but that not securing rented accommodation when she has the ability to could be interpreted that way. I know someone who lost her job and had to go on HB which only covered half her rent. She was told that if she didn’t stay where she was, run up rent arrears and get evicted she would not be eligible for help as she would’ve ‘made herself homeless’. I wouldn’t consider taking the responsible decision to leave a place to avoid debt and eviction to be making yourself homeless but there you go 🤷🏻‍♀️

I so appreciate your advice. Weirdly hoping for a market crash and already have a LISA open. Will have to just keep my eyes on the rental market in the mean time!
I hope you manage to sort something out soon. Also just remembered seeing something about this - not sure if LL can legally evict you at this time?