Renting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It will vary slightly across councils, but generally the council look to see if you're making yourself 'intentially homeless'. They can also check if you can afford to rent (this reason is why we are not eligible to join the list.. despite needing almost £500pm from housing benefit 🥴). If you end up actually homeless, you'd be helped. It could be a case of temporary accommodation until something is available; quality range of that can be extreme, and could be a very long wait. It can also be quite expensive considering its a temp house while you're vulnerable.

The worst thing, imo, is all the social housing being bought. The local estate near me has lovely family homes but so many of them are now privately owned, going on the market for 500k. I don't think people should have been able to buy the properties. Now theres a shortage, and we end up living in concrete jungles and losing green space.

Housing market is a mess 🥴

Reactions: 4
I totally agree it’s an absolute mess. So many people working their backsides off yet because they don’t have bank of mum and dad or bought a 20p house in the 70s they are struggling. Really not fair.

Reactions: 2
It will vary slightly across councils, but generally the council look to see if you're making yourself 'intentially homeless'. They can also check if you can afford to rent (this reason is why we are not eligible to join the list.. despite needing almost £500pm from housing benefit 🥴). If you end up actually homeless, you'd be helped. It could be a case of temporary accommodation until something is available; quality range of that can be extreme, and could be a very long wait. It can also be quite expensive considering its a temp house while you're vulnerable.

The worst thing, imo, is all the social housing being bought. The local estate near me has lovely family homes but so many of them are now privately owned, going on the market for 500k. I don't think people should have been able to buy the properties. Now theres a shortage, and we end up living in concrete jungles and losing green space.

Housing market is a mess 🥴
Agreed. Very glad Scotland has ended the right to buy.
Although, overall the gap in replenishing the bought social housing stock with new housing is shocking. I work within this sector and it stuns me the level of social housing being built Vs private estates. And Scotland is doing pretty well in comparison with other nations on that front- and it’s still so bad.

Don’t even start me on the “affordable housing” allocations required through planning on PLC developers site. Yeah, £200k for a 3 bed terrace is affordable... in areas where the average house price is half that and average wage is under £26k. 🙄

UK housing market is a shambles.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Agreed. Very glad Scotland has ended the right to buy.
Although, overall the gap in replenishing the bought social housing stock with new housing is shocking. I work within this sector and it stuns me the level of social housing being built Vs private estates. And Scotland is doing pretty well in comparison with other nations on that front- and it’s still so bad.

Don’t even start me on the “affordable housing” allocations required through planning on PLC developers site. Yeah, £200k for a 3 bed terrace is affordable... in areas where the average house price is half that and average wage is under £26k. 🙄

UK housing market is a shambles.
What fucks me off is all this housing (flats) going up, under the promise of providing X% as 'affordable' .. along the way, that drops below the required amount or disappears completely! Its outrageous that its even allowed. Its not affordable anyway, but if your planning is approved based on the requirement of X% affordable, bloody do it!

Reactions: 2