Reactive Dogs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Reactive dog owners, I’m feeling sad. Does it get better?

I’ve adjusted my expectations of what dog ownership with my reactive rescue looks like but we’ve just had a bad walk and it’s made me feel really low. I feel like a terrible owner for putting her in stressful situations. I’d stopped walking her around my neighbourhood for the most part, taking her to fields instead where I can keep her away from offlead dogs. But I don’t have my car today and felt like she needed to get out for some sniffs, we saw all her worst things at once and she exploded. I just feel like we’re constantly taking steps backwards.

I’d love some positive stories please if they exist 🥲🐶

• Heart
Reactions: 1
My dog is so reactive (but not all the time) he definitely got better when we distracted him. Pretty sure we would say his name and then kept saying treat when we saw another dog that would distract him. Eventually we didn’t have to say it and he’d just look for the treat after going past the dog.
Also what I noticed was taking him in the car to a different area he’d be good always. My parents take him on holiday every year and they never have issues with other dogs when away. Apart from a beagle he reacted to when away but he specifically hates beagles the most. I guess it’s a territorial thing.

• Heart
Not really positive, but...
Our dog is a beautiful boy, but oh Lord, does he have problems.
We got him when he was 5 months (not a rescue, but from someone who couldn't keep him any more. I do think they didn't really look after him properly though).
He isn't a small dog either, he's 28kg. He always loved other dogs, until a spaniel tried to attack him, after that, he became scared of other dogs, and became extremely reactive (he goes crazy).
We tried all the dog trainers going to get help, none of them helped.
But we found out (through another dog owner) giving him a piece of cooked liver when a dog is approaching makes him focus more on that than the other dog. I also verbally, and physically (stroke him, crouch down and hold him) reassure/comfort him.
He still reacts bad at times but we can minimize it.
He's a lot to cope with, and I do struggle, but I know he wouldn't do well be re-homed, and also I'm not sure I could cope with him not being with us.

Sorry that went more to a "me rambling".
I hope you and your dog find a way to overcome the difficulties.

• Heart
It can be so hard and I take my hat off to everyone dealing with it. Have you reached out to your rescue for some help? Is she a foodie? That helps and they’re a bit cheap but the Wagg mini training bones are perfect to chuck in front of them as a distraction whilst walking. There’s such a huge sliding scale and many reasons behind the behaviour but it does get better if you’re consistent with exposure therapy (where appropriate).

• Heart
She was in rescue for 6 months before I got her and she was more or less trained not to react with them. So I suppose I know it is possible. She’s gone so far backwards with me which I understand now is to be expected but I wasn’t realistic about that to begin with. I’m now so anxious about making her even worse, and obviously she picks up on that so will find it difficult to feel safe. We get sessions with the rescues behaviourist but I haven’t been able to get there for a month or so, so it feels like she’s constantly going backwards. She’s so sweet and I forever have this guilt that it’s my handling. I didn’t have her muzzled yesterday (she’s bitten a handler in a redirection bite, not another dog) so tried to move out of the way of an oncoming dog to play find it, and instead walked her into the path of a white van 🫠

I honestly didn’t realise what owning a dog with behavioural issues truly meant before her. I get jealous when I see a well adjusted dog walking down the road like it’s no big deal 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
When you can’t get to a field can you walk her at less busy times e.g early morning or late evening? My reactive dog is walked exclusively at 6am because it was just heartbreaking and we were increasingly anxious and avoiding walks which wasn’t fair on her.

Also I don’t know if you usually muzzle but I would recommend it. The guilt of an accident happening (they do) and your dog suffering as a result would be unbearable.

It’s very difficult and you’re allowed to be upset. Take care of yourself also and don’t blame yourself, even if your handling isn’t perfect yet you didn’t cause the issues your dog has.

• Heart
I had to muzzle my reactive dog in the end. Once I stepped out my gate and didn't see someone coming past with a dog and she lunged! Currently looking after one who doesn't like certain breeds of dogs he see's on walks. He's a chihuahua so he gets picked up when he comes across the types he doesn't like. It's hard because you can feel you are doing something wrong.
---
There's a lot online, videos too that may help. https://www.google.com/search?q=tra...3j0i22i30l5.5535j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
  • Heart
When you can’t get to a field can you walk her at less busy times e.g early morning or late evening? My reactive dog is walked exclusively at 6am because it was just heartbreaking and we were increasingly anxious and avoiding walks which wasn’t fair on her.

Also I don’t know if you usually muzzle but I would recommend it. The guilt of an accident happening (they do) and your dog suffering as a result would be unbearable.

It’s very difficult and you’re allowed to be upset. Take care of yourself also and don’t blame yourself, even if your handling isn’t perfect yet you didn’t cause the issues your dog has.
Usually I would, I could just feel she was pent up yesterday and needed to get out. I should have played a game in the house instead

She’s muzzle trained and I do keep her muzzled where dogs can approach her off lead, I tend not to on the streets so we’re able to play find it, she can’t pick up treats through her muzzle.

She makes my life better in so many ways but I think I’m mourning what I expected dog ownership would be like a little bit. I took her on knowing she was reactive but didn’t adjust my expectations of just how limited we’d be.

I completely understand. My GSD is a rescue and we knew to an extent but I think the word ‘reactivity’ can sugar coat a lot of the reality.

It’s sounds like you’re doing loads already! The dog I brought home 2 years ago that redirected a bite on me and eventually did bite another dog that charged her is a different girl to the one snoozing on my couch. Slow progress is still progress and I do think a lot of what changes behaviour outside of all the handling and management techniques we fret over is trust and a solid relationship which only grows over time.
---
Can I also suggest The Muzzle Movement on Instagram? They design muzzles that you can deliver treats through and give lots of pant room, we have one and it’s excellent. Lovely colours as well.

• Heart
Usually I would, I could just feel she was pent up yesterday and needed to get out. I should have played a game in the house instead

She’s muzzle trained and I do keep her muzzled where dogs can approach her off lead, I tend not to on the streets so we’re able to play find it, she can’t pick up treats through her muzzle.

She makes my life better in so many ways but I think I’m mourning what I expected dog ownership would be like a little bit. I took her on knowing she was reactive but didn’t adjust my expectations of just how limited we’d be.
After having 4 dogs and looking after another currently they all have their own personalities, fears. One of mine was terrified to go on walks, the beach or anything like that but luckily I have a big garden and dog flap she would use. The one I am looking after now loves his walks and pesters for them but certain breeds he lunges for barking! I can't find a muzzle small enough for him! Little hellar even bit me after I gave him a bath and tried to put his collar back on! Turned into the devil. There is a muzzle I bought that they can eat treats through. I'll try and find the name of it.

This is the brand Amazon product
---
They can have treats and drink through it

I got my rescue a yellow bandana from amazon that says "anxious". You can get leads, collars etc as well. This definitely made a difference because when I put it on him people with children and dogs were a lot more mindful.
I'm also really lucky that he is super food motivated so I used treat as a distraction.

My rescue was scared of people and dogs and the reactiveness is mainly to do with being on a leash. I found that with people it helped if I walked him during the school run in the afternoons as there were so many people about he got used to them very quickly.

Unfortunately the dog reactiveness is more difficult. Luckily I don't have to muzzle him but I always tell people with off lead dogs that he's not friendly.

She wears a ‘no dogs’ yellow sign on her lead. That plus being her on lead means sensible owners avoid us, not all though.

If only exposure calmed all kinds of reactivity 🥲

I think she’s frustrated rather than aggressive, she’s a herding breed so just wants to chase, but is muzzled as she’s bitten her previous owner when they tried to stop her chasing.

Still no car this week so we’re currently playing ball inside, then will do some training and have a bone and hopefully she won’t feel too hard done by. Any ideas for games to mentally exhaust dogs welcome 😂

Do you have any of them secure fields that you can pay to use? Maybe good every now and then so you can get her running around off lead to do something different to normal and use more energy?

Oh yes, we go to a field a couple of times a week, we’re booked in tomorrow evening. It’s her reactivity on walks from the home that are an issue.

She wears a ‘no dogs’ yellow sign on her lead. That plus being her on lead means sensible owners avoid us, not all though.

If only exposure calmed all kinds of reactivity 🥲

I think she’s frustrated rather than aggressive, she’s a herding breed so just wants to chase, but is muzzled as she’s bitten her previous owner when they tried to stop her chasing.

Still no car this week so we’re currently playing ball inside, then will do some training and have a bone and hopefully she won’t feel too hard done by. Any ideas for games to mentally exhaust dogs welcome 😂
Try to get her into agility. It sounds like she would benefit from that greatly

• Heart