Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No but it’s something I really want to do (I ordered one off wish.com about 3 months ago 😂) we use squeaky balls normally as her recall is not great but clicker training sounds like it may work better?

No but it’s something I really want to do (I ordered one off wish.com about 3 months ago 😂) we use squeaky balls normally as her recall is not great but clicker training sounds like it may work better?
I was thinking doing that because my dog eats his treats very slowly so cant repeat certain things because it takes him ages to finish, i know you should do it together with the clicker but feel like the sounds might work better. He responds to whistling better than voice

Reactions: 1
I was thinking doing that because my dog eats his treats very slowly so cant repeat certain things because it takes him ages to finish, i know you should do it together with the clicker but feel like the sounds might work better. He responds to whistling better than voice
Ah amazing, our pup isn’t motivated by food/treats at all (only whatever’s in the dishwasher 🙄) so this may work!

Oh I’d love to rescue. I’ve heard it’s difficult to get approved if you work as they don’t like dogs to be left alone (which admittedly would probably mean I’m not suited to a puppy either).

I don’t only work 4 hours at a time @Caffeine Fiend, my partner and I work different shifts and that’s the typical overlap. It would only be three days a week so the cost of a dog walker for an older dog wouldn’t be prohibitive. Our parents have also offered to help and his mum has just lost their old boy so I’m seeing an opportunity.

Oh I’d love to rescue. I’ve heard it’s difficult to get approved if you work as they don’t like dogs to be left alone (which admittedly would probably mean I’m not suited to a puppy either).

I don’t only work 4 hours at a time @Caffeine Fiend, my partner and I work different shifts and that’s the typical overlap. It would only be three days a week so the cost of a dog walker for an older dog wouldn’t be prohibitive. Our parents have also offered to help and his mum has just lost their old boy so I’m seeing an opportunity.
I think if you have some additional help you could definitely make it work. My dad retired around the same time we got our puppy, so they go on adventures together 😂 I work from home full time but he still comes and takes him for days out!

i totally know what you mean about rescue places, you can also rehome via gumtree etc, sometimes find people who move away, older persons moving that sort of thing, sure they wouldn’t be so restrictive for a loving home, plus you have help or could make arrangements

Reactions: 3
I'm sure you guys would understand my troubles!
Just spent the last ten minutes crying as I was on my own putting our puppy to bed to give my mum a break as she's either done it or we both have. If I let her out and my mum potters around she'll stand crying at the door to be let in. 🤦

But just felt like a total failure. Even though she eventually did a wee. Gave her all the praise and a treat, she's really good in the day it's just evenings and night time. I kept picking her up and putting her back in if she was just picking up sticks or running around.

Because at some point I may have to put her to bed on my own if my mum's not here (for context I still live at home as house prices are wild 😂) and if I can't get her to wee then we are screwed. She's also three months old, only messed once in her crate since we brought her home at 8 weeks. We also don't want to have her get separation anxiety so we both do the evenings or one of us will.

I was trying not to get frustrated with her as she's stil a baby and I was tired my self. We had family round earlier, I did my dog walks, she didn't sleep all morning, big nap on the afternoon, puppy preschool in the evening so that probably didn't help along with me instead of my mum letting her out. (she's fine with me in the day!) We will be working on this but just feel a bit of a failure tonight! 😫

Anyone else had similar experience? Any tips for late night wees?!

I'm sure you guys would understand my troubles!
Just spent the last ten minutes crying as I was on my own putting our puppy to bed to give my mum a break as she's either done it or we both have. If I let her out and my mum potters around she'll stand crying at the door to be let in. 🤦

But just felt like a total failure. Even though she eventually did a wee. Gave her all the praise and a treat, she's really good in the day it's just evenings and night time. I kept picking her up and putting her back in if she was just picking up sticks or running around.

Because at some point I may have to put her to bed on my own if my mum's not here (for context I still live at home as house prices are wild 😂) and if I can't get her to wee then we are screwed. She's also three months old, only messed once in her crate since we brought her home at 8 weeks. We also don't want to have her get separation anxiety so we both do the evenings or one of us will.

I was trying not to get frustrated with her as she's stil a baby and I was tired my self. We had family round earlier, I did my dog walks, she didn't sleep all morning, big nap on the afternoon, puppy preschool in the evening so that probably didn't help along with me instead of my mum letting her out. (she's fine with me in the day!) We will be working on this but just feel a bit of a failure tonight! 😫

Anyone else had similar experience? Any tips for late night wees?!
Have you tried taking her in the garden at night on the lead for a wee, my poodle who is nearly two is still scared of the dark and goes to the toilet just fine when she is on the lead, left to her own devices she either gets distracted or wants to come in or shouts at traffic!

We also have a cue word of ‘go wee’ she will usually just get on with business when told, she will do a pee or pop, you can introduce any queue word you like, the dog man on dogs behaving badly suggests go toilet. It’s easy to incorporate you just say it when they are going (doesn’t matter if pee or poo) then reward

i totally know what you mean about rescue places, you can also rehome via gumtree etc, sometimes find people who move away, older persons moving that sort of thing, sure they wouldn’t be so restrictive for a loving home, plus you have help or could make arrangements
i agree so much, we got our pup from a couple who were moving to Switzerland, she has gone to a loving home who can look after her. Yes we spent £ but it was still a case of rehoming a gorgeous, properly bred pup who had all her vaccinations etc. I feel like there is so much emphasis on rescue dogs but there are also dogs out there who were bought during lockdown and their owners can no longer have them. We helped towards giving this couple an amazing new life (during covid they couldn’t have taken her over there) and gave a pup a great home.

Have you tried taking her in the garden at night on the lead for a wee, my poodle who is nearly two is still scared of the dark and goes to the toilet just fine when she is on the lead, left to her own devices she either gets distracted or wants to come in or shouts at traffic!

We also have a cue word of ‘go wee’ she will usually just get on with business when told, she will do a pee or pop, you can introduce any queue word you like, the dog man on dogs behaving badly suggests go toilet. It’s easy to incorporate you just say it when they are going (doesn’t matter if pee or poo) then reward
Yup we've done all that! She hasn't yet peed on her walks (done poos) so I did actually put her lead on he just so she wasn't running around but as she's not weed on the lead yet I don't think she'll get that it's ok to! Got a command which is "hurry up" then reward once done. Which in the day time she's spot on! Absolutely no issues there. We are always out with her as she too get distracted/wants to come in/picks up everything so can't be left on her own. 🙈

Think she could be too attached to my mum.. and I may ask if e can reverse the rolls tomorrow see if she cries if I'm inside and she's out with her.

Yup we've done all that! She hasn't yet peed on her walks (done poos) so I did actually put her lead on he just so she wasn't running around but as she's not weed on the lead yet I don't think she'll get that it's ok to! Got a command which is "hurry up" then reward once done. Which in the day time she's spot on! Absolutely no issues there. We are always out with her as she too get distracted/wants to come in/picks up everything so can't be left on her own. 🙈

Think she could be too attached to my mum.. and I may ask if e can reverse the rolls tomorrow see if she cries if I'm inside and she's out with her.
Perhaps that would work! I’ve nothing else to suggest but I’m sure someone else will be able to suggest something. The lady that used to do it’s me or the dog program (Victoria Sitwell I think) had some good advice.

like you say she will get there and this will all be a distant memory

Silly question but will the barking in the morning ever end!?!?! Our pup tends to wake up between 5-7am and we then let her out (and she goes to the loo). I guess as she gets older she’ll be able to hold her business in longer? Silly question I know!

Silly question but will the barking in the morning ever end!?!?! Our pup tends to wake up between 5-7am and we then let her out (and she goes to the loo). I guess as she gets older she’ll be able to hold her business in longer? Silly question I know!
All dogs are different, my eldest dog is a lazy lump and has happily slept in since we got him home. Youngest is an early bird and up at 6am still at 8 months old. Most dogs will doze all evening and be up earlyish especially when its light out. Youl probably find coming into winter and darker mornings theyl sleep in a bit.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.