Public speaking

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I know this is generally not something anyone enjoys but I’m my new role I have to present a lot more than before and give updates in meetings etc. Whilst people keep telling me ‘it’ll get easier the more you do it’ which I am sure it will does anyone have any tips? I tend to worry I’m going to go bright red (this has been pointed out before) or have a mind blank then I get more anxious before I have to speak. Does anyone have any tips or experience that works for them 🤞

Reactions: 1
I know this might sound obvious, but breathe. The first time I ever had to stand up in court, I was a mess - even though it was something I had wanted my whole life! I’d say, whole it does get easier, you also learn you own cues. I found if I read my notes/documents the night before I felt more confident than if I read them last minute, so I stopped going over my speeches etc at least an hour before I was due to speak

This might sound stupid but I also found having a hair band around my wrist kept me grounded as such.

I also found that Rescue Remedy was a god send to calm my initial nerves.

Reactions: 2
For me, it helps to prepare well beforehand. Practice if it’s a presentation. Have notes for prompts (bulletpoints work for me so I know I don’t forget anything). Kalms tablets.

Be careful with Kalms and similar guys, the liquid stuff is usually a laxative! Not sure about the tablets.

Have notes in front of you to read from or to promt you if needed. Don’t rush, just take your time. Focus your attention on 1 person or look at a fixed point in the room. Imagine the people at the meeting taking a poo - sounds daft but if you let your mind wander slightly you might find it easier to get through it.

It does get easier the more you do it - promise!

Definitely feel your pain here. I've had to present alot more in my role over the last 12 months. At first I was awful, I spoke super fast and I could hear my own heartbeat!

Preparation is the key for me. Keep reading your notes or presentation beforehand, go a bit off the schedule and make a few ad hoc notes if you need to fill some time on the day. Basically know your stuff 100% and you will be fine. And it does get easier, the more you do it xxx

So I know this is generally not something anyone enjoys but I’m my new role I have to present a lot more than before and give updates in meetings etc. Whilst people keep telling me ‘it’ll get easier the more you do it’ which I am sure it will does anyone have any tips? I tend to worry I’m going to go bright red (this has been pointed out before) or have a mind blank then I get more anxious before I have to speak. Does anyone have any tips or experience that works for them 🤞
Hi, I used to have a genuine phobia of this and tried hypnotherapy, beta blockers, all sorts. A therapist recommended attending Toastmasters classes and it helps no end.

I guess it all stems down to thinking you’re going to say something stupid/people will think you’re stupid. But when you watch someone talk, you’re not thinking about how imperfect their presentation is. You’re usually just listening.

Try and remember you’re there giving that presentation because you do know what you’re talking about. And the people you’re talking to need you.

Take notice of other people when they’re giving a presentation/it’s their time to talk. You’ll soon realise that most people fumble their words, say “um” all the time, can’t answer every question fully or need time after the meeting to answer a question. Good luck!

I've done a fair bit of not public speaking but presentations etc and I know that the majority of people are not even listening properly so unless you say something totally outrageous about 10x they wont even notice anyway. If you do a really decent power point and some type of handout etc then they will be looking at them and not you all the time.
Also think about what questions people might ask so you are prepared with the potential answers. You will always get at least one person that asks about the inns and outs of some obscure point.

I've done a fair bit of not public speaking but presentations etc and I know that the majority of people are not even listening properly so unless you say something totally outrageous about 10x they wont even notice anyway. If you do a really decent power point and some type of handout etc then they will be looking at them and not you all the time.
Also think about what questions people might ask so you are prepared with the potential answers. You will always get at least one person that asks about the inns and outs of some obscure point.
lol exactly. I’m doing a lot of online presentations atm, and I can’t see the other people. I’ll ask a question and no one will reply - I know their just on their phones or something 😂

On the physical side: wear foundation so it's not obvious you're turning red, wear your hair down incase your ears go red, and wear a patterned shirt/blouse incase you sweat. You can't help any of these things but you can make them less noticeable.

I love public speaking, so I don't have any real mental coping pointers for you. The only person that's really listening is the kiss arse of the office, everyone else is not there by choice and might tune out, so don't worry.

I do a lot of presentations for work. As everyone else has said, take your time and remember to breathe. And nerves are normal. Even the greatest public speakers must get nervous before they step onto the stage. It is ok.

If it is not too daunting you may want to record yourself - can just read an extract from any book. Get to understand your flow. Try talking slower than you would in a normal conversation.

This might sound weird but practise/prepare some fillers. Mind blanks, pauses, uumms and even nervous laughter are all part of normal speech. It is not a sign of failure (unless you brayed like a donkey for your entire slot then ok that’s a bit weird!!!). Get to feel comfortable with the uncomfortable of things.

What is your body language like? People are there to listen and watch you. Own your space and time. More often than not, everyone is rooting for you to do well.

Are you a human helicopter? Are you arms waving around everywhere? Consider holding something to encourage less flailing. If you do hold something make sure it’s solid - if you hold sheets of paper and shake from nerves the audience will see/hear that - stick your notes on something with a hardback.

You are a human, not a robot. Watch other people you think speak well to pick up some tips but there’s no need for you to attempt to be a carbon copy.
Some presentations I give are dry as weetabix out of necessity (I often deliver bad news) And that’s not a reflection of me. Sometimes I’m able to jazz it up a bit and shockingly I enjoy it nowadays. Like any skill, I had to learn and make mistakes along the way.

Some people say find a visual point to focus on. This may be useful starting off but nowadays I do try to look around and feed off the audience. Whatever suits you.

also prepare a closing statement. I’ve seen many good presentations that end awkwardly because it just trails off in silence. Have a “the end” type thing (or passing it on to the next speaker) ready.

And on that note, i think I’ve waffled on long enough! Hopefully something has been useful.
Wishing you the best of luck.

(Apologies for formatting - on my phone and have typed way too much.)

• Heart
Reactions: 3