Propranolol - experiences and advice.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello all. I know there’s a thread for Sertraline but can’t find one for Propranolol so hope it’s ok to post.

I’ve been on Sertraline (for anxiety) for around 3 months. Was advised by GP to up my dosage from 50mg to 75mg. I’ve felt shocking since. Been signed off from work, no motivation to do anything and had some very dark and scary thoughts recently. Which isn’t in my nature at all.

Spoke to my GP and was advised to ween off the Sertraline and start Propranolol (10mg 3 times per day). Has anyone been in a similar position? I’m hoping now I’m off Sertraline the depression will subside. I’m also having telephone counselling sessions.

edited by moderator to add;

I only started feeling depressed/low moods/dark thoughts since taking the sertraline. I was initially prescribed it for anxiety. But since taking it, it just hasn’t agreed with me so GP’s trying me with Propranolol as I suffer from chest tightness, palpitations and just can’t relax due to feeling anxious. So was just wondering if anybody else had been in the same position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1
Ive taken propanolol for anxiety for years, 40mg up to 3 times a day. It helps my physical anxiety symptoms. I didn't know it was being used in place of anti depressants!

Reactions: 2
I have taken propranolol for anxiety. It’s very effective in reducing the physical symptoms - sweating, shaking, blushing etc. I found at high doses it did give me cold extremities. Also, I had to run for a train once whilst on it, and it was like my heart wouldn’t beat fast enough 🙈 I just use it short term nowadays for situations that would cause me to be very anxious, such as a job interview or a driving test.

These are very different drugs.
Propranolol will have no effect on depression at all. It’s a beta blocker which is good for anxiety but nothing to do with MH drugs, just the physical side effects.

Reactions: 7
I was put on propranolol for migraine prevention which it has really helped me with. I also suffer from anxiety and I have to say they do help me with that too. My dad also takes it for migraine prevention and my sister takes it for anxiety also.

I was on sertraline a few years ago and it helped my anxiety a bit but not as much as propranolol has.

Reactions: 3
I had to take it when my thyroid was out of control it's only a beta blocker not an antidepressant It wouldn't help with your thought process I'd question it tbh .

I'm on propranolol for migraine management and anxiety and it's wonderful for these things but it's not a replacement for getting to the root causes of your issues, which only therapy can do. Like others said it is not an antidepressant like sertraline, which I have also been on. It's a much gentler drug however with minimal side effects.

Thanks all for your replies☺

Sorry think I should have been more clear in the first post. I only started feeling depressed/low moods/dark thoughts since taking the sertraline. I was initially prescribed it for anxiety. But since taking it, it just hasn’t agreed with me so GP’s trying me with Propranolol as I suffer from chest tightness, palpitations and just can’t relax due to feeling anxious. So was just wondering if anybody else had been in the same position.

Sorry think I should have been more clear in the first post. I only started feeling depressed/low moods/dark thoughts since taking the sertraline. I was initially prescribed it for anxiety. But since taking it, it just hasn’t agreed with me so GP’s trying me with Propranolol as I suffer from chest tightness, palpitations and just can’t relax due to feeling anxious. So was just wondering if anybody else had been in the same position.
I got on well with it and had no negative side effects. Hope you get on ok with it x

• Heart
I used to be on propanolol and found that although it reduced the physical aspects of anxiety it didn't help my thoughts, worries, what-ifs, phobias, low mood etc.

• Heart

ah ok well then you’re better off on a beta blocker, it does what it says on the tin.
I was just questioning it’s use as an anti depressant which wouldn’t have made sense but your decreased mental health because of Sertraline makes sense!
Should never have been given for anxiety alone.

(I just added that to your first post to save confusion and replica replies)

• Heart

I’ve been on propanolol since January 2021 and it absolutely is a god send for physical symptoms of anxiety. I used to have racing heart all the time - my heart would shoot up to 130bpm for no reason, I’d have palpitations at work when I was stressed, be unable to sleep because my heart was pounding so hard it felt like the bed was shaking, and these physical symptoms regularly induced panic attacks because I worried my heart would give out!

I take it twice a day now, in the morning and at night, and sometimes midday if I have anxiety symptoms.

It absolutely has not helped me with my anxious thoughts though, that is what I go to therapy for. However, it’s much easier to cope with anxiety when you’re not concentrating on the physical symptoms and can focus on retraining your thoughts instead.

Good luck, anxiety is a witch and I wish you well in overcoming it.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Anyone experienced swollen and sore index fingers ? On both sides whilst taking propranolol? Been on it almost a month

Reactions: 1