Prisoner Cell Block H

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am really amazed that there isn't already a thread, about this great cult series. Without it, there would have been no Wentworth or Bad Girls. It began in 1979, and ran for 692 episodes until 1986.
Who can forget wonderful characters like Bea Smith, Vera Bennet, Myra Desmond ect. I am an unashamed fan of the series, and have been since I first saw it on Super Channel (anyone remember this channel?).
So lets dust off those dungarees, and reminisce about this classic show.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
"He used to bring me roses....." 🤣

I loved Prisoner Cell Block H, have still got some old DVD's that I bring out now and again. I would have been watching in the 90s so they were already reruns but kept me hooked all the way through.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I had dozens of episodes on video tapes, but my Mother's house was flooded one year and I lost most of them. :cry: I might invest in some DVD's one day.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Fearsome Frankie Boyle used to scare the tit out of me, but loved Doreen, always had her teddy bear with her.

Reactions: 6
I can't remember when it was but some of the cast came to UK and a few of us went to Derby to An Evening with Cell Block H. There was Bea, Doreen and Lizzie and can't think if any of the others were there. Val Leahman signed my T shirt and when I got home I embroidered it and wore it quite often :D When we went to Melbourne my husbands cousin asked where we wanted to go and all I said was Nunawading which is where it was filmed and she thought I was mad although she did take us. I remember it was filmed at the TV studio and they had made the outside of the building look like a prison with lots of fake windows and a fire escape.
I watched all of the old Oz soaps, Sons and Daughters, McCleods Daughters, Young Doctors, Country Practice, Neighbours from the beginning but never Home and Away and the same cousin took us to Neighbours set and other TV venues.
She was an riding double in McCleods Daughters in Adelaide and she took us on set and we met most of the cast which was a brilliant day.
Back to Prisoner,
This is some of the locations if you have not seen it. There are lots of eps on youtube.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I can't remember when it was but some of the cast came to UK and a few of us went to Derby to An Evening with Cell Block H. There was Bea, Doreen and Lizzie and can't think if any of the others were there. Val Leahman signed my T shirt and when I got home I embroidered it and wore it quite often :D When we went to Melbourne my husbands cousin asked where we wanted to go and all I said was Nunawading which is where it was filmed and she thought I was mad although she did take us. I remember it was filmed at the TV studio and they had made the outside of the building look like a prison with lots of fake windows and a fire escape.
I watched all of the old Oz soaps, Sons and Daughters, McCleods Daughters, Young Doctors, Neighbours from the beginning but never Home and Away and the same cousin took us to Neighbours set and other TV venues.
She was an riding double in McCleods Daughters in Adelaide and she took us on set and we met most of the cast which was a brilliant day.
Back to Prisoner,
This is some of the locations if you have not seen it. There are lots of eps on youtube.
What a great story, I am green with envy that you met some of the cast.
I have been watching old episodes of Prisoner on youtube. I'm up to ep 544 at the mo, Myra will be exiting soon, she is one of my all time favourite characters.

• Heart
My Mum used to let me stay up late on a Sunday night to watch this when I was a child! It was our thing - loved it and very jealous of the poster who met some of the cast. We were several years behind and watched it on ITV if I remember correctly (after come dancing on BBC2🤣)

Reactions: 7
Did any of you watch Wentworth - I was living in Spain at the time and never got to see it.
When we went to Adelaide on the set of McCleods Daughters cousin took us to a small house nearby and just walked in and there was Aaron Jeffery who to me was Alex Ryan in McCleods but if you have watched Wentworth he played Fletch in that. Now he was a good looking bloke in real life.
He was also in Water Rats which was another good Ozzie series.
During lockdown I watched all the old Eldorado episodes I could on youtube so think I will go back now and look out all the Prisoner ones.

Reactions: 1
Did any of you watch Wentworth - I was living in Spain at the time and never got to see it.
When we went to Adelaide on the set of McCleods Daughters cousin took us to a small house nearby and just walked in and there was Aaron Jeffery who to me was Alex Ryan in McCleods but if you have watched Wentworth he played Fletch in that. Now he was a good looking bloke in real life.
During lockdown I watched all the old Eldorado episodes I could on youtube so think I will go back now and look out all the Prisoner ones.
I watched the first 4 series of Wentworth, I was really impressed. I liked the way that they changed some of the original characters. Bea Smith was young and fit looking in Wentworth, as opposed to the mumsy version of her, played by Val Lehman in the original series. I liked the Wentworth version of Frankie Doyle, she was tough but likable.
The first four series of Wentworth, were really good, but the series seemed to lose it's way after the departure of Bea Smith and Frankie Doyle.
The beauty of the original show, was they had normal looking women of all shapes and sizes. They made the characters more believable, because of this.

Reactions: 6
My Mum used to let me stay up late on a Sunday night to watch this when I was a child! It was our thing - loved it and very jealous of the poster who met some of the cast. We were several years behind and watched it on ITV if I remember correctly (after come dancing on BBC2🤣)
Same here. Classic. Couldn't get into Wentworth, unlike many, but loved the original.

I've watched the first 3 series of Wentworth twice but never got any further, i keep saying I'm going to watch the rest but havent managed it. I loved Frankie in it.

I’ve just finished Wentworth and it was one of my favourite series!! I can vaguely remember watching Prisoner when I was younger so I’m gonna look for it on YouTube!
At the end of Wentworth they played the theme tune to Prisoner, it was a bit emotional 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I will have to find old episodes of Prisoner Cell Block H. I have fond memories of staying awake to watch this on ITV - I think it came on around 11:35pm? Around 1987? 😬😃😆

Reactions: 2
Ahhh I have such fond memories of watching Prisoner Cell Block H…can you find them all online??

It is a sad day for fans of Prisoner Cell Block H, Leslie Dayman who played Geoff MacRae, has died aged 85. He played one of the male prisoners who was transfered from Woodridge Prison, to Wentworth. His romance with Myra Desmond, was a highlight of that storyline. He was a likeable character, and a convincing actor.

RIP Leslie.

Last edited:
  • Sad
I am watching on my5 . It's still so addictive ! I think there are the first two seasons on there so far.