Phone/screen addiction

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have such little regard for my phone that (rather smugly) I thought this was an issue for others. I don't use a new phone with fun features, I don't have social media accounts apart from youtube (for which I don't use the app) and an instagram account in which I follow about 20 friends, also without the app. I don't play games on my phone, I find group chats overwhelming, I mostly watch series during my lunch breaks etc. It wasn't until I actively tried to step away from my phone and very uncomfortably failed that I realized how deep I'm in. It's like that tweet: "I'm not an addict. I've gambled everyday for 20 years, I still haven't gotten addicted."

I hate that my monkey brain gobbles up whatever clever research they put into these devices to make them so addictive. I tried to occupy myself with everything I used to do before we had smartphones but it doesn't quite hit the spot. I put it away, out of reach but it doesn't quite work. I don't mind being bored but I don't even get a chance to be bored before my hand twitches to reach the phone or the tablet or my pc.

has anyone else had an issue with this and succeeded at overcoming it? The hours on my screen time tracker is shocking and I don't want to live my life glued to a phone (or other stuff) instead of doing the things I actually want to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
No idea but interested. I’ve actually deleted my Instagram / Facebook / TikTok but now I just lurk here more 😂

Reactions: 5
Am sure my hubby brain got to mush after scrolling on his phone.

Think my concentration is being affected by scrolling.

We both work full time.

Hoping now that summer is here we won't be on them as much.

Reactions: 3
Think my concentration is being affected by scrolling.
It’s interesting you’ve said this. I was reading an article the other day about the link between this and increased ADHD symptoms / diagnosis.
---

Reactions: 7
I give myself a no screen weekend once a month, will put on some music in the background an do crafts, if the weather's nice I'll go walking or cycling, I'll get a book out an read, just whatever to keep me away an I've found that I actually don't have much a desire to go back to my phone/tablet instantly when it's over, it's helped cut down my screen time because I've realised how nice it can be to not constantly be scrolling on something, I've also stopped using screens a hour before bed as well to try an calm my mind down otherwise I'd be up all night

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It’s interesting you’ve said this. I was reading an article the other day about the link between this and increased ADHD symptoms / diagnosis.
---
I'm definitely experiencing this. I used to be a very strong reader, talking about hours easily spent reading one book without needing to switch to another activity. Now I'm lucky if I can go 5 uninterrupted minutes without needing to reach my phone or catch myself getting distracted.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Can I ask what people's average screentime is? For transparency mine was 11h 29m.
That includes 5hr on Google Maps whilst driving, and 13hr listening to the radio to help me get to sleep but I definitely need to bring that down.....

Reactions: 1
Can I ask what people's average screentime is? For transparency mine was 11h 29m.
That includes 5hr on Google Maps whilst driving, and 13hr listening to the radio to help me get to sleep but I definitely need to bring that down.....
6h 52m yesterday

What are you doing on your phone that is taking all the time if not social media or chats?
I don't know, no clue! Youtube takes a lot of my time I think but not more than a few hours and I listen to the videos more than I watch. I'm annoyed because I don't know what I do, except mindless scrolling and browsing.
---
I tend to get 6-9 hours, depends on the day. On a day where I'm depressed and rotting in bed while scrolling, I got as much as 12~ hours.

I didn't know you could check screen time, I've been 4 hours today (currently 5:45pm the now) an 3 hours were for Amazon music which I was at work listening to, prob won't go much higher than that as I'll be off out later an I cut down at night, so I'd say maybe around 5 hours(ish) I'll be today

Reactions: 1