Online shopping worries.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So recently I've been noticing I've been spending a bit of money each week (usually between £1-£50 a week) on something online. It can be anything from a new charger to a sweater (£50 max) and I've gotten into a routine of having a parcel coming every week, like its something I look forward to and feel like I'm missing something if I don't have one coming. I usually get a thrill from buying something online, unlike in a shop, I tend to notice straight away how much I'm truly spending.

This isn't money I dont have (I always pay my bills and rent first) so I've never seen it as a problem, but is it normal to want to do this every week? I'm usually very good at saving money, as a student I am always trying to save like going to Lidl instead of Tesco, bulk cooking etc. So it's not like I'm bad with prioritising finances, I'm just concerned that during lockdown I've been spending money on stuff I dont really need?

Like at night before I go to sleep I usually have a scroll on Depop/Etsy/Amazon and add lots of stuff to my wishlist. I then pick one thing at the end of the week to buy, but set a budget for it. My last big purchase was some Galaxy bud earphones (£130) which I only bought as I had not bought anything in a month.

Does anyone have any tips of stopping this completely, my only long term goal with saving is for a car and a house deposit which is still a ways off. I have a grand saved which I havent touched at all, all of this excess money I have is what I've got left after I buy my food, pay Bills etc each month.

I guess really I'm worried this will become a problem and I wont realise it till it's too late.

Reactions: 5
So recently I've been noticing I've been spending a bit of money each week (usually between £1-£50 a week) on something online. It can be anything from a new charger to a sweater (£50 max) and I've gotten into a routine of having a parcel coming every week, like its something I look forward to and feel like I'm missing something if I don't have one coming. I usually get a thrill from buying something online, unlike in a shop, I tend to notice straight away how much I'm truly spending.

This isn't money I dont have (I always pay my bills and rent first) so I've never seen it as a problem, but is it normal to want to do this every week? I'm usually very good at saving money, as a student I am always trying to save like going to Lidl instead of Tesco, bulk cooking etc. So it's not like I'm bad with prioritising finances, I'm just concerned that during lockdown I've been spending money on stuff I dont really need?

Like at night before I go to sleep I usually have a scroll on Depop/Etsy/Amazon and add lots of stuff to my wishlist. I then pick one thing at the end of the week to buy, but set a budget for it. My last big purchase was some Galaxy bud earphones (£130) which I only bought as I had not bought anything in a month.

Does anyone have any tips of stopping this completely, my only long term goal with saving is for a car and a house deposit which is still a ways off. I have a grand saved which I havent touched at all, all of this excess money I have is what I've got left after I buy my food, pay Bills etc each month.

I guess really I'm worried this will become a problem and I wont realise it till it's too late.
I’ve been a bit spendy in lockdown as has my husband, sometimes he’s been worse than me. I think it is the boredom and needing something to look forward to but it’s a quick fix and is like a drug.

You say that you’re saving for a car and a house deposit, why not try adding up how much disposable cash you have each month and seeing how that will build, it can be very motivating. Our goal is to pay off our mortgage as soon as possible. I sat and looked at all our money recently for the first time in years and when I realised what a difference a bit extra each month makes on how quickly we can do that I don’t know if I’ve ever been so motivated! I set us both a budget so we can buy things if we want or need & tried to be realistic and this month I’ve not bought a thing. And nor will I! I’m just so motivated now because I want to clear that bloody mortgage. I’ve really reassessed my spending and what I used to buy and realised how much of it I just didn’t need, it’s totally changed me. I think having a goal really helps, all these little bits add up. Bit of waffling from me there but hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: 3
It does sound like this has become a habit so I think you are right to be aware of it and trying to break the habit. First and foremost get rid of all online buying apps from your phone. Then look at your finances and move the majority of your disposable income into a savings account that you can’t readily access - leave yourself enough for basic weekly spends but no more.
Its like any habit I guess, you just have to have the willpower to just stop it.

Reactions: 2
I completely feel the same way. At the moment I pretty much always have a parcel in transit somewhere it’s never expensive things - the odd £10/£20 here and there but it adds up. I probably total around £50 a week just on random orders. This is either clothing (second hand off depop with the occasional new item), homeware, craft supplies, stuff for the house. It’s so much worse as we are in lockdown too - some of these things I would just go and buy from a shop if I were allowed to. I also feel like it’s a bit of a thrill to get parcels and almost addictive, and when there’s not much else to look forward to it fills a void doesn’t it?

Like you, this isn’t problematic yet as I do have the disposable income for it... but it is causing me stress all the time as I’ve had a few instances where my parcel has been lost and I’ve spent ages on the phone to the companies. I also hate sending stuff back and never get round to it. It’s hard to stop through as some of this is stuff I do actually need (at the moment I need to order a new set of headphones, a phone charger, socks and a concealer... it’s never ending!). I have told myself that I am going to stop buying clothes from now on though, at least until the physical shops open. I know this wasn’t really advice, but I just wanted to empathise!

I can also relate, I spend money on random things, even if I already own them I think “let me just get a back up, while it’s on sale”, and then I have a stockpile of like 20 shower gels. Which is so stupid of me because shower gel is cheap and there’s always offers...but I think my problem is more hoarding and unnecessary spending :/ but I’ve committed this year to use more products and items than I buy.

So for example I tell myself “I have to use up 5 things this month”, and it’s like a game and a challenge for myself, so maybe that could help? Obviously it’s difficult if you really need the item and have to buy it

This is me, although I'll go for heftier purchases I can only just afford. 🤦‍♀️
I think for a lot of people online shopping is filling a bit of a void. We can't go anywhere or browse any shops so it gives us that little bit of dopamine and it's fun to look and add to our wishlists.

At least you're aware this could become an issue, so you're not allowing yourself to fall in too deep and you've not touched your savings!
You need to find something else that gives you that same good feeling without it costing or being unhealthy I think.

How about finding a penpal instead? Do you have any friends further away who would be interested in writing? Could the letter become the new parcel? So you wait for the letter with the same excitement you do for the purchase?

I receive letters from two people and honestly it really makes my day when they drop on the mat.

Just a thought ❤

Reactions: 5
I get what you're saying and I feel the same. I think it's good that we're aware of it.
Something that helped me is that my husband told me "sure you only live once and if you can afford it then why not".

Something else that is helping me is that I've looked at my budget/finances (what comes in & what goes out & where does it go) and I've made a plan to have X amount saved by the end of the year. So I have X amount put away safe every pay day, out of sight, to build up for savings. It's going well and it gives me good feels to see the number increase, plus I know if anything crazy happens that I've got a back up of more savings to help, it's like peace of mind.

Also, love the Angela Landsbury!!!! 💝