Oestopenia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello does anyone here have oestopenia?

Wondering how you are treated/managed?
How often do you have a dexa scan?

I was diagnosed 18 months ago from a dexa scan but had no contact from my GP since.
Well tell a lie i did have an appointment to discuss it but had a more pressing issue at the time so it got pushed on to the back burner. Then covid happened.

Any advice appreciated

Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked? When I was very low, I had awful hip pain but once I took high strength Vit D it went. Osteoporosis runs in my family so I'm aware I may end up with it so I try to get a lot of Vit D (from the sun) and walk 10K a day. With Oestopenia you don't need to take any drugs and you will only be referred for treatment if your GP thinks you're at risk of broken bones, so that's probably why you haven't heard since but due to covid, I would be getting in touch and asking if you are due another scan to check on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I do. I can’t speak for anyone else but I had the dexa scan and was diagnosed then told to take vitamins and that’s it. Not had a scan since and stopped taking the vitamins years ago. For ongoing care I genuinely wasn’t aware it was a thing so would be interested to know what should be done lol cos I was always told I just have to live with it!

• Heart
I do. I can’t speak for anyone else but I had the dexa scan and was diagnosed then told to take vitamins and that’s it. Not had a scan since and stopped taking the vitamins years ago. For ongoing care I genuinely wasn’t aware it was a thing so would be interested to know what should be done lol cos I was always told I just have to live with it!

I presume the vitamins were calcium and vit d?

Yeah aftercare seems disgraceful.

My mam has full osteoporosis and has yearly check ups and dexa's
Not sure if the dexa's are yearly but her check ups at hospital definitely are

I didn't even get as far as a calcium supplement 🙄🙄 although in fairness my bloods show ok for calcium and vitamin D

I didn't even get as far as a calcium supplement 🙄🙄 although in fairness my bloods show ok for calcium and vitamin D
That's good news if your calcium and Vit D are OK.

I have it, I have early menopause so not surprising. I’m on vit d and calcium and my gp recommends weight bearing exercise. I get a dexa scan every 2 years.

• Heart
I have it, I have early menopause so not surprising. I’m on vit d and calcium and my gp recommends weight bearing exercise. I get a dexa scan every 2 years.

I'm early menopause too. Surgical. 2yrs ago aged 40

Thanks for your reply. I wonder if i should request another scan in a year or so.

My bloods show levels are fine but i am taking a very high Vitamin D dose (4000iu x 5 days a week)

I'm early menopause too. Surgical. 2yrs ago aged 40

Thanks for your reply. I wonder if i should request another scan in a year or so.

My bloods show levels are fine but i am taking a very high Vitamin D dose (4000iu x 5 days a week)
I don’t know where you’re based. I’m in Ireland and with private health insurance they will cover 50% every 2 years, but it’s not that expensive so maybe every year might not be a bad idea.

• Heart
Have done since I was 19, went into full osteoporosis at 21.
Dexa ever 2 years in theory. Reality. Every duck knows years.
calcichew 😂 which in fairness are pretty good sweets.

I was on IV treatment for a while, it was every 3 months but I haven’t done it in a long time 😬 I’m ashamed to say I kind of haven’t followed up on any treatment, which I’ll regret I’m sure.

it’s a witch. My hips don’t lie.

• Heart

Yeah both and im well overdue another dexa by the sounds of it
It’s hard to know whether it’s worth chasing isnt it...

Have done since I was 19, went into full osteoporosis at 21.
Dexa ever 2 years in theory. Reality. Every duck knows years.
calcichew 😂 which in fairness are pretty good sweets.

I was on IV treatment for a while, it was every 3 months but I haven’t done it in a long time 😬 I’m ashamed to say I kind of haven’t followed up on any treatment, which I’ll regret I’m sure.

it’s a witch. My hips don’t lie.
Calcichew HAHAHA memory unlocked!!! I hated them, too powdery!

• Haha
Calcichew HAHAHA memory unlocked
i have PTSD seeing this tub 😂

570D42AC-5C72-4135-906E-DCE019D7FC20.jpeg

for osteopenia they tend to just leave it be, encourage a good diet and hope it improves (which it can do) so they really don’t start any type of medication until you’re in the osteoporosis stage, and even then it’s retry much based on risk assessment and general medical history.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My experience with pre-menopausal osteopenia/osteoporosis!

With osteopenia they tend to just "watch and wait" - encourage protective behaviours (appropriate diet and weight-bearing exercises). If you have amenorrhea which has contributed to your low bone density they may discuss ways to regulate your period, such as weight gain if underweight, a reduction in exercise if over-exercising, and promotion of a high fat diet. They may prescribe Calcichew or Adcal calcium supplements.

With osteoporosis they would do the above, plus discuss possibly prescribing bisphosphonates. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in my hips and osteopenia in my spine 7 years ago (when I was 22) but I've never taken medication, and haven't had anymore DEXA scans either. 👀

i have PTSD seeing this tub 😂

View attachment 636483

Nooooo I LOVED Calcichew! It was my post-breakfast pudding haha.

• Heart