Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

anotheronebitesthedust.1

Things like gaviscin , rennies and over the counter stuff are useless , they only deal with the symptoms once they’ve started and barely calm it down . What you need is is prescription proton pump inhibitors like lansoprazole that reduce the amount of acid that the stomach produces

The Nexium and Gaviscon didn’t work for me. Tried for 2 weeks. Saw GP. Because my dad had throat cancer she decided to refer me to hospital. She told me it would take at least 8 weeks for an appointment, but amazingly within a few days the hospital rang me to make me an appointment and I go to ENT next week. So at least I get to speak to someone!
You’re better of being refered to gastroenterology as ent can only see so much , gastroscopes go into stomach to see if you have things like a hiatus hernia which is often a big cause for acid reflux

Reactions: 3

House of Tea

VIP Member
@House of Tea I had a doctors appointment today for a check up turns out I have acid reflux and got medication called peppermint liquid I had breathing problems and thought it was maybe asthma my breathing kept sounding crinkly and chest burns up only when I lay in bed and he gave me a check up so turns out after going for one thing I come home with two problems, best to go to your gp I wouldn't have went and found that out but the pain was worrying me a little bit you will better in yourself for going in the long run.
The Nexium and Gaviscon didn’t work for me. Tried for 2 weeks. Saw GP. Because my dad had throat cancer she decided to refer me to hospital. She told me it would take at least 8 weeks for an appointment, but amazingly within a few days the hospital rang me to make me an appointment and I go to ENT next week. So at least I get to speak to someone!

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Clickbait

VIP Member
You’re better of being refered to gastroenterology as ent can only see so much , gastroscopes go into stomach to see if you have things like a hiatus hernia which is often a big cause for acid reflux
I was going to say that people should be asking for an endoscopy if they’ve had symptoms for a long time. My partner had heartburn for years and was prescribed medication for it, including one he was on for a long time that was linked to cancer cases. I pushed him to get this investigated and they discovered he had a hiatal hernia.

The problems had been going on for so long that he also has Barrett’s esophagus which is where the lining of the esophagus has burned away and means you’re more likely to get esophageal cancer and will need to be checked every 3 years.

His reflux was so severe that he had heartburn every day, and he would also wake up with food in his mouth or coughing as it has got into his lungs. He was very lucky not to choke or get pneumonia.

He has surgery this year to mend the hiatal hernia and has not had heartburn since which has made a huge difference to his quality of life.

• Heart

Keikochan

VIP Member
Bc gaviscon has a lot of ads and is most well known. It doesn't always work the best though.

• Heart

gossgal

VIP Member
I have had similar issues and diagnosed with silent reflux and to take gaviscon for 3 months. My throat feels like it has a cut in it.
Tomato’s are to be avoided and cheese and alcohol
That is what mines is like at the min chest pains are horrible its like youre being choked.

Reactions: 1

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Over the counter stuff is weak. I had ulcer-like symptoms with awful acid and take up to 4 tablets a day at its worst.

Ive had that same throat feeling, though i dont recall it being due to the acid. You can take more than the 1 20mg nexium a day, and it takes a couple days to build up in your system. Give it a couple more days and speak to the gp if no better

House of Tea

VIP Member
Thank you for replying. No I'm not on anything.
I have put on a lot of weight in the last year which has now put me in the overweight category so that's definitely contributing I'm sure. Just all round anxious
I definitely get more reflux the heavier I am.

gossgal

VIP Member
@House of Tea I had a doctors appointment today for a check up turns out I have acid reflux and got medication called peppermint liquid I had breathing problems and thought it was maybe asthma my breathing kept sounding crinkly and chest burns up only when I lay in bed and he gave me a check up so turns out after going for one thing I come home with two problems, best to go to your gp I wouldn't have went and found that out but the pain was worrying me a little bit you will better in yourself for going in the long run.

House of Tea

VIP Member
I have had a feeling of having a lump in my throat for two weeks now with slight sore throat. My voice has been hoarse for the last two months. I cough a lot, and have done for years. Trying to get through to GP was tricky. Finally spoke to one on phone last Weds. She suggested it might be a hangover from Covid but more likely reflux. I am only aware of acid when I eat tomatoes or drink alcohol on empty stomach. She suggested gaviscon and nexium and to take it until I see her face to face (Friday this week).

Since Thursday I have had three Nexium (they are daily tablets), gaviscon after meals.

I don’t have any improvement - in fact my throat is on fire today as well as feeling of lump. Worse it has been for sore throat.

Can anyone who has had these symptoms or who has taken Nexium give me an idea of when my symptoms should feel better after taking Nexium? If they haven’t now, can I assume that they aren’t actually working or do you have to take them for longer?

anotheronebitesthedust.1

Thank you for replying. No I'm not on anything.
I have put on a lot of weight in the last year which has now put me in the overweight category so that's definitely contributing I'm sure. Just all round anxious
You can easily go to gp and ask for that medication or ask for referral to gastroenterology for the camera test to confirm

Greencatfysh

VIP Member
Hi @House of Tea i take omeprazole in some form (Nexium/Guardium) every morning as otherwise I get really bad acid reflux every day. Mine doesn’t feel like a lump in my throat generally (only occasionally usually when I’ve had a lot of dairy). I would keep pressing them for another answer. There is another possibility called HPylori which is an overgrowth of a certain bacteria in your gut, although I believe the main symptom of that is usually strong acid reflux.

if I ever miss a day or two of taking the tablets it can take 2-3 days for things to feel normal again. I’d give it 7 days and see if you notice any difference, and then push them to do more tests. Xx

Sorry long response but I also know that seasonal allergies can affect some people in terms of clearing your throat and nose, just thought as it’s come in recently in the warmer months if could also be worth exploring an anti-histamine.

monga

VIP Member
I have had a feeling of having a lump in my throat for two weeks now with slight sore throat. My voice has been hoarse for the last two months. I cough a lot, and have done for years. Trying to get through to GP was tricky. Finally spoke to one on phone last Weds. She suggested it might be a hangover from Covid but more likely reflux. I am only aware of acid when I eat tomatoes or drink alcohol on empty stomach. She suggested gaviscon and nexium and to take it until I see her face to face (Friday this week).

Since Thursday I have had three Nexium (they are daily tablets), gaviscon after meals.

I don’t have any improvement - in fact my throat is on fire today as well as feeling of lump. Worse it has been for sore throat.

Can anyone who has had these symptoms or who has taken Nexium give me an idea of when my symptoms should feel better after taking Nexium? If they haven’t now, can I assume that they aren’t actually working or do you have to take them for longer?
Yes I know someone with the same symptoms that’s had no voice for about a year due to silent reflux ,they didn’t suffer from heartburn either so thought it was something serious but after many scans and investigations that’s what they were diagnosed with, apparently the feeling of something in the throat is a spasm in reaction to the acid in the gullet they have to take a daily antacid but it took a few months for things to settle .

Attachments

House of Tea

VIP Member
Things like gaviscin , rennies and over the counter stuff are useless , they only deal with the symptoms once they’ve started and barely calm it down . What you need is is prescription proton pump inhibitors like lansoprazole that reduce the amount of acid that the stomach produces

I think it is my sinuses rather than acid reflux. I think stuff is going down the back of my throat and my throat is all clogged up. I now have tinnitus in both ears.

Games345

Is there anyone who has experienced daily heart burn and it not been cancer? I'm starting to worry about my symptoms but also terrified of hospital procedures. I know I need to grow up but I really struggle

anotheronebitesthedust.1

Is there anyone who has experienced daily heart burn and it not been cancer? I'm starting to worry about my symptoms but also terrified of hospital procedures. I know I need to grow up but I really struggle
Heartburn is very common if you stomach is producing too much acid and you have a hiatus hernia . Are you on any ppi

gossgal

VIP Member
Mines only checked when I told him over the phone so I got seen on his next appointment hope this peppermint liquid works its like youre throat is on fire hope you get it seen too.

Keikochan

VIP Member
I had a weird lump in my throat and it was irritated just the other week. I also had an awful acidy taste in my throat. Pharmacy recommended Emazole. It's an antiacid tablet and worked straight away. To be totally honest I also tested positive for covid but I'm negative now and if that awful acid taste comes back I've got these tablets on standby.
If 1 antacid, like gaviscon, isn't working then def ask Pharmacist if they could recommend another type.

Lico

Chatty Member
I was on PPIs for over 20 years. I came off them a while back as I got tinnitus from antidepressants and when I started reading up, I found out that they are ototoxic. I had horrendous rebound reflux for about 2 months. I was on my hands and knees with the pain of it. Now I take gaviscon advance. It is the best of the otc meds. I see there is a IQoro, that is supposed to help build up the oesophagus. Has anyone tried it?

button moon

VIP Member
I have had similar issues and diagnosed with silent reflux and to take gaviscon for 3 months. My throat feels like it has a cut in it.
Tomato’s are to be avoided and cheese and alcohol