New year diets can get in the bin

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
98% of diets don’t work and most end up in a net weight gain.
The diet books don’t work, even the “this is not a diet book” ones (spoiler: they are definitely a diet book).
Be kind to your body. Don’t punish it at the gym or by starvation.
Make small changes, one at a time. A big glass of water in the morning, eating plant-based, whole-foods meals one day a week, daily stretches, creating a tiny calorie deficit, reducing alcohol intake, whatever but start small.
Undertake a social media cull, unfollow any accounts that make you feel unworthy.
Don’t allow your insecurities to line someone’s pockets for no long term benefit to you.
Most importantly, be kind to yourself.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
98% of diets don’t work and most end up in a net weight gain.
The diet books don’t work, even the “this is not a diet book” ones (spoiler: they are definitely a diet book).
Be kind to your body. Don’t punish it at the gym or by starvation.
Make small changes, one at a time. A big glass of water in the morning, eating plant-based, whole-foods meals one day a week, daily stretches, creating a tiny calorie deficit, reducing alcohol intake, whatever but start small.
Undertake a social media cull, unfollow any accounts that make you feel unworthy.
Don’t allow your insecurities to line someone’s pockets for no long term benefit to you.
Most importantly, be kind to yourself.
I’m ditching diet culture altogether. I have binged and restricted since I was 16 and I’m now 40. I thought I was a food addict with no willpower and that’s why I couldn’t stick to a diet or clean eating or whatever fad I was on. I have finally woken up to the fact that my body was doing it’s job and overriding my desire to wilfully starve myself.

I made the decision to stop dieting 7 weeks ago and haven’t binged since. Am I happy in my body? No. But I feel freer than I have in years because I’m not constantly preoccupied about food and loathing myself for eating or thinking about eating .

I’m getting a couple of books on intuitive eating for Christmas and hoping that I can heal my relationship with food and my body even if that means it stays exactly how it is.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I don't do diets never have. I just think if you want to keep a steady weight you should eat what you want just not massive portions.

Reactions: 6
I’m ditching diet culture altogether. I have binged and restricted since I was 16 and I’m now 40. I thought I was a food addict with no willpower and that’s why I couldn’t stick to a diet or clean eating or whatever fad I was on. I have finally woken up to the fact that my body was doing it’s job and overriding my desire to wilfully starve myself.

I made the decision to stop dieting 7 weeks ago and haven’t binged since. Am I happy in my body? No. But I feel freer than I have in years because I’m not constantly preoccupied about food and loathing myself for eating or thinking about eating .

I’m getting a couple of books on intuitive eating for Christmas and hoping that I can heal my relationship with food and my body even if that means it stays exactly how it is.
It’s unbelievably freeing. Imagine how much time/brain power women in particular give over to dieting (whether it’s restricting, resisting, berating over ‘failures’ etc) in a lifetime - makes me cross.

Interested to know what books you have chosen. I’ve previously had this one recommended to me.

(ETA: for clarity... intuitive eating is a real thing but has now been co-opted by diet culture so beware the wolf in sheep’s clothing. Eg if a book or plan or influencer mentions ‘lifestyle’ or ‘wellness’... :unsure: )

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
It’s unbelievably freeing. Imagine how much time/brain power women in particular give over to dieting (whether it’s restricting, resisting, berating over ‘failures’ etc) in a lifetime - makes me cross.

Interested to know what books you have chosen. I’ve previously had this one recommended to me.
this is the one I’ve ordered. I follow Evelyn Tribole on Instagram and feel like I’m constant screen shotting her posts,and it’s backed by research and science.

Also ordered The F*ck It Diet by Caroline Dooner,ignore the word diet in the title...here’s an overview

03C7221D-CCB6-4CCE-812F-35B3D244D818.png

Reactions: 1
I don't do diets never have. I just think if you want to keep a steady weight you should eat what you want just not massive portions.
This is definitely the optimal approach. If you aren’t bothered about what you eat you’re much more likely to eat in moderation, rather than obsessing over what you can and can’t eat leaving to endless cycles of bingeing and restriction.
It’s easier said than done though. How do you stop caring? Especially for a young (or young ish) woman... I’m 30, and female, and almost every one of my girl friends has an issue with food to a greater or lesser extent. I’m not saying they all have eating disorders or close to that (though some do) but they pretty much all have some issue with their weight and diet much rarer to see in men.
It’s fucked up.

Reactions: 6
Everything in moderation is great for you. Instead of intuitive eating I would suggest paying for one session with a nutrisionist and then eat as you like within reason.

I lost my way a bit and so over the summer I paid to see a nutrisionist just to remind me of the food groups and what a healthy portion looks like for me and also just to get some tips.

I am not fat, a healthy small size 12 and within just a couple of weeks of getting my eating back on track I lost 6 kilos and are now a size 10. Weightloss was not even the goal, I wanted a healthier lifestyle as my food choices were becoming poorer and poorer as I became lazier to cook and plan meals and snacks.

Once back on track I also have a load more energy which is another positive! I eat what I want within reason and instead of eating a load of crap, I try to restrict that to the wkends and maybe the odd chocolate through the week

Although saying all this, since we broke up for Xmas on Friday I have been eating whatever takes my fancy 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 5
2020 is the year I finally stop my binge & restrict cycle!! I've done it for as long as I can remember & I honestly can't be arsed with it anymore. I've tried to start eating more intuitively over December & allowed myself to enjoy indulging without panicking about it being new year in a few days. Don't get me wrong, I want to get back to the gym & eat a bit better but only to feel healthier (I had surgery at the beginning of this month so I want to do everything I can to be as healthy as possible). I have even ripped up any slimming world or over dieting clubs leaflets that have been coming through my door the last few days, they can do one! I know people who have lost a lot of weight following slimming world but ultimately the majority lost more £££ than lbs

Reactions: 4
@sarahboo that is great news. Diets don’t work because eventually you go off them and then over indulge.
My suggestion for the 2020 is to just eat in moderation and keep portion size in mind. If you still feel hungry fill up on veg or fruit. If you want the cake the have a slice but not a big one. The same with whatever your comfort food is.
I would even suggest fasting now and again as that is very good for your health.
Goodluck 🖤

Reactions: 3
Love this!!
I'm a psychiatrist and always get asked this by patients for some reason if resolutions are a good thing.

In regards to diet culture and resolutions I just always say - make 3 small goals you can work on.

- Increase water take
- Take up a sport / yoga / gardening etc
- Cut down on soda from 500 mls a day to 250mls
- Make sure to eat all your fruit and veg ..

Etc etc ! These are the goals that work and will be a health benefit to you ⚘⚘ plus you would actually have more success at lifelong weight loss making small changes rather than bullshit diets !

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I seriously need to get back into the swing of things. Used to be a comfortable size 12. Curvy, but curves in all the right places.
After having my second baby I've gone upto a 14. I feel exhausted all the time and my diets tit.
I have zero will power to get back running. Used to run 30k a week and my diets bad too.
Always been a foodie, and enjoyed wine but only had a 'cheat meal' once a week.
Seriously lacking motivation 😥