Musicians who dabbled in acting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Which do you think you worked well and which didn't?

Madonna - Pretty sure she almost ruined Guy Ritche's career when trying to act. Also that James Bond apperance - it was a bit of a WTF moment. To be far to her I think it was later in career that it became a joke, some okay films in her early years.

Cher - I remember loving her in Mermaids years ago but that might have been because of the songs. She stands out massively in films, it's like "Oh, there's Cher!"

Justin Timberlake - I think it was like the late 00's when he was popping up in everything. Very uninspiring and it didn't last.

Jennifer Lopez - Is she a singer or an actress? I'm sure we all agree she's pretty mediocre at both. I think though most of her big film roles came after she was a star in the late 90's.

Lady GaGa - I'm only going by AHS but she stands out way too much and it seemed she was given to cool roles because she's Lady GaGa.

Reactions: 3
Roger Daltrey - played criminal John McVicar in 70's movie McVicar, then in kids drama/play Buddy in the 80's, decent enough.
Steven Van Zandt - member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, superb in The Sopranos as Silvio Dante
Elvis Presley - some good, some cheesy, best film was maybe Jailhouse Rock
Dean Martin - in Rio Bravo, as the washed-out, boozy sheriff
Frank Sinatra - won a best supporting role Oscar for his role in From Here To Eternity
Dolly Parton - a tour de force in 9 to 5

Reactions: 7
Forgot to add - Eminem with 8 Mile was really good however I think the rapping scenes elevated him as obviously he was at the top of his game. To be fair to him don't think he did anything else so bowed out on a high.

Oh and 50 Cent tried the same kind of film - a spectacular joke.

Reactions: 5
Cher was good in Moonstruck, won an oscar for it.
Meatloaf was good in Fight Club.
Ed Sheeran should stop appearing in tv and films, even as himself, very jarring.
David Bowie often remembered for Labyrinth but The Prestige and Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence both good performances.
Jeff Healey is great in Road House.

Forgot to add - Eminem with 8 Mile was really good however I think the rapping scenes elevated him as obviously he was at the top of his game. To be fair to him don't think he did anything else so bowed out on a high.

Oh and 50 Cent tried the same kind of film - a spectacular joke.
8 mile was great
I remember there were a few cameos from other rappers as well such as Proof, Xzibit and Obie Trice.

Reactions: 2
Courtney Love - she was briefly in Sid and Nancy (she had auditioned for the role of Nancy); The People Vs. Larry Flynt. She was in Basquiat which also starred David Bowie as Andy Warhol.

Sting - has had many roles, notably the original Dune (1984) movie, the "Ace Face" in Quadrophenia, Brimstone & Treacle etc.
Quite liked him in Quadrophenia, looked the part, but didn't say much šŸ˜
Bell Boy!

Reactions: 3
Adam Ant. - I remember he went through a stage in the late 80's and early 90's when he was in quite a few made for tv type films and popped up in Northern Exposure and The Equalizer. He wasn't good at all, but used to be so pretty so I can see why they thought it might work.

Chester Bennington from Linkin Park. Mainly remember him being in the film Crank, but think he did a few other things as well. Not enough of him to judge though.

Flea from Red hot chilli peppers has been in loads of stuff. He was ok in Big lebowski and certainly better than Anthony Kiedis in Point break who was terrible.

I actually have a huge soft spot for Madonna in Who's that Girl and Desperately seeking Susan. I think maybe the roles just suited her though. Evita was her big one I suppose?

I also thought Courtney Love was good in Man on the Moon. I remember being surprised.

Britney and crossroads? I don't remember her being terrible but it's a long long time since I've seen it.

Reactions: 2
Whitney did okay in films I think, I thought she was good in The Bodyguard and The Preacherā€™s Wife.

Reactions: 1
I was 2/3 of the way through "House of Gucci" movie the other night, before I realised that he main character was played by Lady GaGa...she was really good!

Another few classics spring to mind -
Judy Garland, a child singing star, in Wizard of Oz, aged 16
Her daughter Liza Minnelli - Cabaret
Doris Day - Calamity Jane, and the comedies alongside Cary Grant

Phil Collins was a child actor (eg in Oliver) then did more acting as an adult once his musical career with Genesis and as a solo artist was well established eg Buster.

• Heart